VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

gear oil access

rightlane
    rightlane

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2015-10-13

gear oil access Empty gear oil access

Post by rightlane Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:51 am

Good morning, looking to change the oil in the rear end and the gear box on my '65 g10, am i just not seeing the drain plugs? I imagine i will have to pull the diff cover, not sure about the gear box though. Thanks for your help! Chris
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

gear oil access Empty Re: gear oil access

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:16 pm

Take the lowest bolt out the covers or the tailshaft and let the oil run out through the bolt hole,,,,
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:22 pm

That's why the shop manuals say to use "bolt sealer" on the tranny bolts when re-assembling, the holes go through to the inside, all of mine have some RTV visible under the heads. I was able to get about 90% of the old oil out of my trans and rear using a large plastic syringe and a piece of plastic tubing! Re-fill using same tubing attached to oil bottle held higher than the trans/rear unless you have a shop with lube hoses to pump it in!
    rightlane
    rightlane

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2015-10-13

Post by rightlane Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 pm

you guys are awesome, thanks!
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:11 pm

I always believed that the cover bolt holes were dead ends..... I've always just placed a pan under the cover, taken the bottom three bolts out (without ever seeing oil at this point) and then loosening the others.... sometimes a putty knife needs to be inserted between the gasket and housing to break the seal......The cover needs to come off anyway because you'll want to clean the floor of the housing of sludge and/or debris, clean and install a new gasket on the cover, etc.....
    The plug to add the new oil is in the side of the housing and require either an end wrench on a square protrusion or (more likely) has a square hole that takes a 3/8 extension to turn it..... You fill the new gear oil to the bottom of the plug hole.....

After re-reading the OP, I see it was referring to the trans, which indeed does have thru bolt holes holding the side cover...... What I posted above refers to the diff......The oil fill plug in the trans is also placed to be the fill level as are almost all gear oil fill plugs on any vehicle or piece of machinery (this is a universal scheme)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am