VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Experience with aftermarket AC in A100?

mnearents
    mnearents

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2015-05-03

Experience with aftermarket AC in A100? Empty Experience with aftermarket AC in A100?

Post by mnearents Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone has experience with an aftermarket AC system in the dodge A100? Specifically, if anyone has installed the Vintage Air system and whether it could cool such a large space (if not Vintage Air, what system did you install)?

I have a 1967 A100 with a 318 just FYI. Also, I live in Southern California at the beach, so I'm not battling 100 degree weather. Mostly in the 80s during the summer, rarely in the 90s.
    sarge1947
    sarge1947

Registration date : 2015-10-01

Experience with aftermarket AC in A100? Empty Re: Experience with aftermarket AC in A100?

Post by sarge1947 Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:58 am

I have used a company in Tampa,FL. I'll look for the link. Also, will be adding to GRUVIN after the rewire. Follow along. Sarge out.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Experience with aftermarket AC in A100? Empty Re: Experience with aftermarket AC in A100?

Post by rustytoolss Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:28 am

I installed a Vintage air GEN II Super cooler in my 64 a100 pickup. I tucked the AC box up as far as I could, but by doing this you loose the uses of your glove box (you would not have to tuck it up as far as I did) I also mounted the dryer on the interior of the truck. I used a 14Wx21T condenser. I also have an Ebay Alum radiator. I also an using a napa fan clutch, and a 7 blade cadilliac fan, and a shroud, Have never seen temp above 190, with a 180 stat, even at hot idle.
    I'm sure that if you wanted to retain your glove box, you could use the next size smaller VA A/C box.
    My pickup have a 273 v8. I did not want the AC compressor on top of the engine. So I built a compressor mount that locates the compressor near the fuel pump (clearances get close between fuel pump/dipstick/frame)
    Although my system is complete, I never got to use in much this year. The best place I found for VA prices was a streetrod vendor called Wheels Of Time.
    My VA system is AC/heat/defrost with electric servos.
    Good luck.
    sarge1947
    sarge1947

Post by sarge1947 Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Everything Rusty said. This is not a bolt up project on the A100. Trans cooler needs relocation,Radiator needs to be narrower. This is to get the space for the condenser.
    NACP makes a great product. They are out of Ocala, FL. My rear air came from Tampa,sorry.
    I did this on a 1965 A100 with 225/6. Still taking measurements on GRUVIN will decide on upgrade after rewire.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:35 pm

When I was planning my AC addition, I did a lot of measuring , a lot of planning, and a lot of praying that it would all work out...maybe I got lucky. You must be ready for tight fitment. Since I tucked mine up under the dash as much as I did, some of my bigger problems were the room for the duct work hoses. Also my system has defrost (more hoses). And all of my AC vents are on the dashboard face (my pickup has a custom wood dash face cover board, which also completely covers the glove box door, which is removed).
    I could have went with some other AC vendor. And that may have made installation simpler. But I went with VA (not saying others are not good)was simply because of the reputation.
    sarge1947
    sarge1947

Post by sarge1947 Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Dumb me forgot to ask. Which do you have A100 van or truck? Makes a huge difference.

Sarge out
    mnearents
    mnearents

Post by mnearents Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:02 pm

I have the A100 van
    mnearents
    mnearents

Post by mnearents Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:10 pm

sarge1947 wrote:Everything Rusty said. This is not a bolt up project on the A100. Trans cooler needs relocation,Radiator needs to be narrower. This is to get the space for the condenser.
    NACP makes a great product. They are out of Ocala, FL. My rear air came from Tampa,sorry.
    I did this on a 1965 A100 with 225/6. Still taking measurements on GRUVIN will decide on upgrade after rewire.

I 100% appreciate the info, and now I know it's not just a simple project. So thanks for that. I'm mostly curious, though, whether it's worth it. The vans are big inside. Could an aftermarket system cool the entire van? Again, we're talking Socal weather, mid 80s mostly.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:11 am

They key to maxi cooling is to get a unit with the largest evaporator that you can make fit. And also get the largest condenser that will fit. That's why I chose the VA GEN II super Cooler. And the 14x21 vertical condenser. Go to vintageair.com ,and they will tell you what type of vehicle each system will cool down. The unit I used was way more cooling capicaty than an A100 pickup would need. Buy the price difference between it, and the next size smaller was like $20.00. And like VA said , if it will fit bigger is better. (talking about AC systems here).
    But nobody make a bolt on system for an A100.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am