VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos Empty Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:34 am

I know this has been discussed plenty here and there, but still can't get my head wrapped around it and tire calculators either don't include 64 vans or don't know about disk conversion.
    Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos Unname10

Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos Unname11

Looking at purchasing this set of Keystone, NOS 15x8's.  Digz has helped out with his suggestions but still unclear on whether an 8" will fit upfront with disk brake setup.

My current wheels (which I am ditching) are the late 70's early 80's Vette slot wheels.  They fit and appear to have about a zero offset.  They are 15" and the fronts MIGHT rub on aggressive, hard turn under the most extreme circumstances.  Or they might not...  

1) Should a 15x8 as shown fit with front disk conversion?

2) Is there a standard size that makes most sense?  I want to fill up the wheel wells as much as possible?  I know larger front tires are a little slower to respond to input/take more effort.  Considered 10" in rear but too fat for my taste and not sure if they fit.

3)  If I go 15x8 all around, I would possibly go with a slightly wider tire in back to give it stance.  Does it make more sense to use a 7" up front and use the 8" in rear to give a slightly different look or to use a wider tire?

I realize same size all around helps with using a spare if needed.

4) Some folks don't like unilug?  Pros and cons?  Can spacers help with clearance and to bump out the rears to give it a wider stance while using all the same tires so that I can rotate them?

Thanks in advance!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos Empty Re: Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:07 am

OK Buddy!! heres my thoughts being 67 years age & seeing just about every "MAG" wheel ever developed in the 50-80's!! ET-Wheel company 1st brought out & patented the uni-lug wheel. I still use & have a few sets! Love them! You can figure out why. -fit many applications!! I have never had any problems with these wheels .Now - its ok to run different sizes wheels on front & rear!! Many times =just looks better & WILL aid steering effort too!! With standard steering! The same size wheels will only aid the changing of tires front to back-ie: flats - ect.! Dont even get in a discussion on well- high speed turning & stability discussion!! Some people worry about everything!! As for the wheels from drum to disc brakes?? Thats going to be a "trial & error" thing!! depends on what size wheel, caliper width or thickness used, and of course=offset!! Remember - from 1965 corvettes used disc brakes & had 15 " wheels. Not until very late model cars was a max positive offset used-locating the wheel way outside the car V/S the old styles. For my thinking - if you stay with a 3&1/2 " to 4" positive offset wheel =you will be fine on the disc brake thing!! Even some calipers -MUST be ground off some areas as all depends on who made them!! * " wheels are fine usually -yet 7 " are to me good too =keeps wheel & tire inside the wheel wells! In olden days many of us used a 5-6 " wheel with a large tire that blew out the sidewall further & did look good to us then- many tire guys will advise against that -yet i always just say -"Just mount em"!! Hope this all helps! cheers
    chopper tom
    chopper tom

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2014-02-24

Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos Empty Re: Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos

Post by chopper tom Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:53 pm

im running 7s on front and 10s in the rear and I love the look ,but the 10s stick out and love to sling mud all down the side of the van,fun to keep it clean when you wanna go to a car show or cruise in.but I have to admit that the 10s fill much safer taking a curve at speed than the 7s did.
    the unilug rims are ok to run just be shure that you have the correct lugnutz and washers,i learned the hard way years ago,and if you have a lot of horse power ,try not to do burnouts with them on the rear.also a good idea to torqe them to speck using a torqewhench and keep a check on them from time to time,which is a good idea on any aftermarket rims.
    like to see pics when you get them on,have' seen keystones on any thing for a while!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:26 pm

When I got my van, the PO had 8" on the front, IMO, just too wide, they will make any tire over a 215 rub without cutting the wheel wells back. I switched to 15 x7" all around, my preference, I don't like larger rears, some do, I like a uniform look all around. 7" turn easier than 8", I felt a difference after I switched.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions/assistance.

Back spacing on this set is 3.75 if that helps figure out a bit more.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:28 pm

What Vantasia siad:

my wheels are all 15 X 7, and stock 4.25" offset  with no issuse. The tires are P235-60R15

Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos 00510

Wheel and Tire Fitment/Suggestions w/Photos Dscn0610

Because of the way I drive my vehicles (burn outs, donuts, drifting, line lock, bunny hops getting the front off the ground, brake jamming getting the rears of the ground)I have never been able to trust the "Unilug" wheel. Mag wheels with the right nuts are problem enough in that you need to recheck thier torque every once in a while. The unilug thing where the forces are transfered throught an oval washer? even if they are installed right with the right washers and shanked lug nuts; I think i would be rechecking thier torque every week. just my 2 cents

those keystones look like there will be miles of clearance with disc brakes.

M1D
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks, Dadio.

I don't plan to do donuts in this van.  I'd prefer it to stay upright...I can't imagine you are serious about doing that in the van, but...

I've seen Keystones on drag cars.  They must be able to take some torque.  My van is geared towards hwy crusing with low end torque.  I don't plan on doing burnouts with pricey tires, so I think I'm good.

My current wheels are 15x8" Vette wheels, 4' backspacing and pretty neutral offset and seem to be really close up front in terms of clearance.  They might barely rub on hard, aggressive cornering, if at all. The Keystones might be a slightly deeper, offset.

Would you not use 8" if they fit or find any compelling reason not to other than 7" being easier to turn up front?  Looking into power steering upgrade, so that may not make any difference.  

And didn't realize until Smiley pointed out to me that I have to use 15" diameter wheels for the disk setup.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am