VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
rustytoolss
6 posters

Disc brake proportioning valve ?

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Disc brake proportioning valve ? Empty Disc brake proportioning valve ?

Post by rustytoolss Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Those of you that have switched to disc brakes. Did you install a proportioning valve ? If so what valve did you use ? I've got almost everything to install Scotties/ Dakota disc brake conversion.
    Can I just use a Summit adjustable proportioning valve?  Works on my 1946 Dodge pickup street rod.

Last edited by rustytoolss on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Disc brake proportioning valve ? Empty Re: Disc brake proportioning valve ?

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:33 pm

,,,you definately need an adjustable valve to cut down and delay the pressure to the rear shoes to allow the disks to come on 1st, then the rears, to prevent them from locking up...
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:38 am

I used one off a 1977 Dodge pickup on my 1941 International. Im going to use ones off the early ram pickups, 1981-1993 as I slowly convert my fleet of A100s over. I would imagine any disc / drum parts truck in the yard can work. My guess get one cheap at the local junk yard.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:28 am

Would it matter if the proportioning valve were from a truck/van that had power brakes, and you installed it onto a non power brake vehicle ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 am

,,,,and there in lies the problem.......disk brakes need 800 psi to operate,,,,,drums need 500,,,,,
    so when you slam on the brakes, as soon as the master cylinder gets to 500 psi, the drum brakes are full on,,,,while the disks are 1/2 on, just slowing down,,,,,,and for a vehicle to stop right, the fronts need to do 60% of the work, while the rear does 40%.    And disks need a booster to let that master cylinder get to 800 psi,,,,,,,and the way I see it, disk brakes wont stop you faster than drum brakes,,,,,I had customers complain about brake problems on brand new vehicles when they had disk brakes without a booster,,,,,but they sure are lower maintenance and let you stop straighter, just not faster,,,,,I put front  disks on my 65 Chevy Van with a 71 Chevy Van combination valve,,,the factory valves are matched to each vehicle,,,we are inventing the system,,,,they are non adjustable,,,,and got more different lines going to it,,,,they have the residual check valves in them to prevent low pedal ,,,,,so one of those simple adjustable ones might be a better choice,,,,,unless someone found parts that work together.......
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:06 pm

for unknown reasons mitch who you met last year at norwalk  needed the p. valve on his 64. BUT  scottie and myself did not need one. the master clynder we used   should have it built in to the mc.
    in 73/74/ these vans had front disc brakes and  drum brakes  in the rear, but they never had a booster , meaning it had disc brakes but it did not have power brakes.

Last edited by dix on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:10 pm

when you start make sure you bench bleed the mc. also fill the calipers with the bleeder at 12 oclock. let them sit over night to get the air out.

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:11 pm

Hey Dix, have you ever checked to see if there is a difference between a Power and Manual master cylinder disk brake system on a 2nd Gen Dodge van,,,,,,,,,like master, caliper and wheel cylinder bores, drum and brake shoe sizes,,,,,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:20 am

I did not Scottie did all the leg work on this and i give him all the credit.
    we used the same master cylinder that scarbird disc brakes conversion calls out for.
    And i believe scarbird does not call out for a proportioning valve
    i do know once the booster was added the master cylinder part numbers did change,
    scottie did say it was all taken care of at the master cylinder.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:34 am

The master cylinder that I bought Is a Cardone 10-1572M. Which is for 1972 and up Dodge B100 van, with manual brakes.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:02 am

Different bore sizes put out different pressures,,,,,,,disks and drums run on different pressures, thats where a proportioning valve comes in,,,,,,,,there are metering valves also installed to prevent low brake pedal,,,,,,so see what you get,,,,,,,,with all these different pieces,,,,,,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:25 am

If the early dodge B-van ran the disc up front drums in the back with out a proportioning valve my guess is the metering valves are in the master cylinder the wheel cylinders are the same from 64 thru 69, The early b-van did not have a portioning valve, The early dodge B-van mc was about 1/3 larger in size

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:00 pm

,,,,,sometimes it takes a few years to get things right,,,,,to fix problems that show up after the vehicles are on the road awhile,,,,,,,,but see if the van stops quickly,,,,and straight,,,,,,rear wheels dont lock up,,,,brake pedal dont go to the floor,,,,,,,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:27 pm

scottie and i have been running the system for 5 years with no problems at all longest run was to bakers last year 6 1/2 hours each way.

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:44 pm

are they vans or pick ups,,,,,,, the 1st Ford and Chevys  used big hunks of steel  weights on top of the gas tanks to keep the rear brakes from skidding,,,,,

Disc brake proportioning valve ? Nodoor18
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:44 am

My 64 A100 pickup has a large piece of what looks to be cast iron weight . It is factory mounted behind the gas tank, near the rear valance pan. Looks heavy.
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Post by Gileadgarage Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:57 pm

I think some vehicles with manual front discs/rear drum and no proportioning valve are balanced by line size and/or different size rear wheel cylinders. Seems hard to get it right like this.

I definitely will install a PV when I do front disc swap. I have the dual chamber MC in it already and it is working fine with drums for now.

Some say it will not stop faster with disc, but I think it depends on how strong your legs are!

I am mainly going to disc for reduced fade and better braking down long/steep hills. The drums just don't handle that as well. I have 11" fronts and still get some fade on long descents (when heavy or towing), even with a lot of engine braking and planning ahead.
    Makes me wonder how the 10" brakes do.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:41 am

The main reason that I'm going to Disc brakes is, my 64 only has a single MC, and my front drums like to pick which direction they want to go when I stop. I do not have any problems with stopping distance. But then again I plan ahead..one day I will not be able to plan for something unforeseen. I do have 10" drums at this point. Looks like I won't be able to change things out till sometime after November.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 am

,,,our Chevys have 9 1/2" drums,,,,,,a single line master cylinder,,,,,and,,,,,,,,old brake lines and hoses are kinda risky,,,,,,, you probably would not survive a front end crash,,,,,,disk brakes require more pressure to operate,,,,,,,after a while you get used to them,,,,,,press harder,,,,,start braking sooner,,,
    so its a good thing,,,,,,,but at least change out that single line master cylinder, hoses and lines,,,,,
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 am

So what is a good choice in swapping out the single MC(like in my 64) with a dual MC, if you are not converting to front disks at the same time, but want to later?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Dawgboy wrote:So what is a good choice in swapping out the single MC(like in my 64) with a dual MC, if you are not converting to front disks at the same time, but want to later?

Go to rockauto.com and look up a 1967 dodge A100. In 1967 dodge changed from a single master cylinder..to a dual master cylinder. And all still had drum brakes. But if you change to front disc's at a later time..you'll have to change the master cylinder again !!
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:29 am

The pig iron on the back of our a100 pickups were to keep the ass down when stopping. Yas its heavy over 100 lbs. The vans did not have them. 1967 was a year the goverment made changes to the auto industry. They eliminated the small back windows on pickups and made all auto manufactures put dual master cylinders in all new cars and trucks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am