Vans with retro trailer!

Abitibi
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2014-06-23

Re: Vans with retro trailer!

Post by Abitibi on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:04 am

Hey Ben's us, thanks for posting all those pictures. Really great! And never expected to see a mini version, too funny!
Vantastic

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:36 am

joe-a-gogo

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-09-13

Post by joe-a-gogo on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 am

That's it! I'm getting one too...
Vantastic

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:45 am

http://happiercamper.com/
go get one!! These are New retro''s, but pretty dang cool
joe-a-gogo

Post by joe-a-gogo on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:06 am

A bit too small for me. Fortunatly, I hail from the part of Europe where there's campers a plenty Very Happy
Abitibi

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2014-06-23

Post by Abitibi on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:12 am

Here's a picture of that 1St one that has not gone through photoshop...

And another one from the Web.

joe-a-gogo

Post by joe-a-gogo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:54 am

How about a Boler? Shouldn't be hard to find in Canada Razz
VanHoosierdaddies

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2015-12-28

Post by VanHoosierdaddies on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:24 am

What is everyone using for a tow hitch? I have a 61 econoline and would like to add a hitch to tow something small behind it for camping. Does anyone make a kit that mounts to the frame rails? Are these vans actually considered uni body? Looks like frame rails underneath but not exactly sure. I'm very new to these old vans and old Fords.
Hip E van

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2014-12-20

Post by Hip E van on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:24 am

I'm really wanting to fix up a vintage camper to tow behind my van when it's done. Working on a lead right now to get one but was wondering about the towing experience from people who have them. I'll be putting a dual master on my van and rebuilding the brakes and if the trailer doesn't come with brakes those can be added. I'd like to add a front sway bar but I'm just running a 200 motor with the three speed and the small rear end on my Falcon. Are you all only towing if you've got the 9" rear and larger engine? I'm not even sure what those 12'+- canned ham type campers weigh. Any advice welcome!
bensbus

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2012-09-23

Post by bensbus on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:24 am

Hip E van wrote:I'm really wanting to fix up a vintage camper to tow behind my van when it's done. Working on a lead right now to get one but was wondering about the towing experience from people who have them. I'll be putting a dual master on my van and rebuilding the brakes and if the trailer doesn't come with brakes those can be added. I'd like to add a front sway bar but I'm just running a 200 motor with the three speed and the small rear end on my Falcon. Are you all only towing if you've got the 9" rear and larger engine? I'm not even sure what those 12'+- canned ham type campers weigh. Any advice welcome!

I don't know how much power you get out of your stock Ford setup...200 with three speed. My Corvairs are 110 hp and 95 hp with 4 speed transmissions and often have about enough power just to get out of their own way. The air cooling does not help, either. Still, I have towed a vintage 13' Scotty with both of them with success (see earlier post in this thread).

The old canned hams weigh about 1000-2000 pounds. Don't forget gear and passengers. All in all, a vintage van should be able to do the job (often original literature, even with small Airstreams, showed people towing stuff with stock 36 hp VW Bugs), but safety is key. Your idea to add trailer brakes is a great one! (I should have them on the Scotty, but never did).
Hip E van

Post by Hip E van on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:37 pm

How is it when a semi goes blasting by? Seems like these vans weigh hardly anything. Ive had sway control on more modern campers but don't think I've seen them used on the vintage stuff.
bensbus

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2012-09-23

Post by bensbus on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Hip E van wrote:How is it when a semi goes blasting by? Seems like these vans weigh hardly anything. Ive had sway control on more modern campers but don't think I've seen them used on the vintage stuff.

Semis "suck" you in just as you'd expect driving with a square brick shaped tow vehicle...but I have never used a sway controller with my small trailers. As long as you pay attention to those oncoming trucks best you can, normal driving does not present a sway problem.

Hip E van

Post by Hip E van on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Thanks for your input bensbus, nice collection you got there!
Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:23 am

Great thread guys. Love the pics of the combos.
Keep 'em coming.
Although...some may say,"why have a camper, when you already have a VAN to stay in."
vanny

Number of posts : 8597
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Nightmoves wrote:Great thread guys. Love the pics of the combos.
Keep 'em coming.
Although...some may say,"why have a camper, when you already have a VAN to stay in."

Back in the early 80's when someone towed a trailer with them, they were referred to as a "Puppy-Trucker"...Funny, but after the first person in our club brought one, everyone started bringing bigger campers with more conveniences...hee, hee, hee! By the late 80's our van club turned into a camping club because we were all raising kids at the time. Fun times. We would always try to get a "Safari" area at the campgrounds so that we could park in a circle and play volleyball and such.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm