VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Front windscreen gasket sealant?

polosteve
    polosteve

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-10-28

Front windscreen gasket sealant? Empty Front windscreen gasket sealant?

Post by polosteve Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I assume in the ideal world the front windscreen gasket would be used on its own with no other mastic sealant….

Well I live in the UK and it rains a lot.

What black sealant should I use around the windscreen, a type of adhesive/sealant rather than a brand name would be ideal so I can found it in the UK?

I assume silicone sealant is not suitable.

Thank you in advance,

Steve
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Front windscreen gasket sealant? Empty Re: Front windscreen gasket sealant?

Post by RodStRace Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:30 pm

I don't know how it works across the pond in Jolly Ol', but here in the states, it's usually cheaper and easier to have a pro install the windshield.
    This is because they supply the parts and charge only a small labor fee. Once you factor in a pro result with warranty, plus if anything is damaged, they replace it, it's really not worth attempting it for the first time on your own. There are a lot of trades here that have a bad reputation and a DIY is often better. This is not one of those!
    However, if you insist, the typical install includes a butyl sealer injected into the gap in the rubber seal on the metal side as well as the glass side. This stays soft and pliable to ensure it continues to seal in different temps.

This is without sealer, NOT what you want.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4igX1ZO5as
    Note they say 'ready for sealer' at the end. This is because the Mustang has trim strips with gaps underneath that hide a layer of sealer. Your van doesn't!

Here is one that uses sealer before and after!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdSSa1Mzhs

Note that they say 2 people. Much better to have a hand with this.

Now what is this miracle stuff you ask?
    Well, I went ahead and did a search and found that 3M makes the pro stuff, and here is an AMAZON UK listing for it!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/3MTM-Automotive-Bedding-Glazing-Sealant/dp/B002CXISM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433809654&sr=8-1&keywords=3M8509+CRL+3M+Automotive+Bedding+and+Glazing+Sealant

As for the roll caulk used before installation, you will have to find that on your own.

polosteve
    polosteve

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-10-28

Post by polosteve Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply!

I should have explained a little more, the glass is not coming out, van van is in for paint but the same colour. No rot around the screen so it seemed silly to take the glass out the front for the sake of it.

I dug out the existing black caulk sealant that had been used around the screen, I just need to find a replacement caulk to put back in once the van has been painted.

I will look into the butyl - thanks again,

Steve
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:16 pm

get to a auto glass shop - have them do it - thats due to the stuffs =EXPENSIVE!! & you will never use it all! its by 3M brand- is a liquig rubber sealant in a can with a pump in it!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 am