VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry?

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry? Empty Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:32 am

I'm looking at a 69 A108 with 318 for sale. When I got underneath I spotted this unusual rear transmission mount holding up what I think is a standard length 727 (instead of the shorter A100 version). This can't be factory Dodge can it? I can see a place on the front of the frame crossmember for a top transmission mount. The mount looks sturdy enough but it's counting on the floor of the van to hold up the transmission instead of the frame. Would this bother anyone else? I've done a quick search on ebay and found no listings for the shorter top mount A100 727. Is this a major problem?

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry? 201312

One other thing bothering me. The seller says that when he bought the van, it had dual gas tanks. He decided to remove one and he removed the stock tank. He filled in the filler hole back by the taillight. What bother's me is the mounting and the fact that a new hole was cut through the side of the van. The back end of the tank is suspended by 2 layers of plumbers tape wrapped in what looks like fuel line. The plumbers tape is screwed into some sheet metal hanging down under the floor. I can come up with much better mounting for the aftermarket tank. If he doesn't have the stock tank & filler neck can these parts still be found?

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry? 201510

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry? 199110

Other than these two items, the van is very complete and has almost no rust that I can tell. The worst of the sheet metal problems is this area on the quarter panel just behind the lower side door hinge. The door still shuts but it's clear that it's 3/16" lower than the other door it mates with. Is this a particularly bad thing to fix?

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry? 200110

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by PartsMan on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry? Empty Re: Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry?

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:56 am

,,,,,,one guys dream is another guys nightmare,,,,,but you need to make it as safe as possible if you plan on driving it and until you get around to making it better. Like take a good look at the floor and see if it flexes when you take off,,,,,you might want to add some bracing to the frame or cross member to stiffen up that trans mount. And the gas tank straps are REALLY IMPORTANT,,,,you dont want that heavy tank falling off and catching on fire. So get or make some new straps and mount it with strong hardware. And the filler neck,,,,well Chevy pick ups have the tank behind the front seat and the filler tube a few inches from the driver, so I guess its not too big of a crime like it is,,,,,Chevy Vans have a box built built over it. But check the smell for gas,,,,,sometimes people mess up and use radiator hose instead of fuel hose and it doesnt hold up at all....... So thats my ideas,,,,,someone else might say get rid of that death trap,,,,,,,,,
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-07

Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry? Empty Re: Weird trans mount, standard 727 in an A108, should I worry?

Post by G-Man Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:47 am

If you do get it fix the things Donivan said, Those fuel neck covers Don is talking about should be easy to find. My 2005 Chevy van has one and shouldn't be a problem to make work. That hidge area damage looks pretty minor fix. I was looking at that homemade mount and it looks pretty beefy from what I see, but again I would take Don's advice there.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks for the responses donivan and G-Man.

I think it would be fairly easy to get the aftermarket gas tank set up right. The rubber tube attached to the filler neck appeared to be Gates fuel hose so I think that's okay. The plumbing does need a cover where it's seen in the interior. I'm thinking something that's integral with an interior panel.

The fuel line routing is really scary. Currently it runs over the headpipe and underneath the oil pan. The line is 1/4" or less from touching the exhaust and is free to swing in the breeze. In order to make the 50 mile drive home I'm going to have to secure that line away from the exhaust.

Still hoping to hear from a few A100/A108 owners about how big a deal it is to have the correct A100 style 727 transmission in an A108. That and if there is a source for one of these short of buying a van.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:26 pm

The trans is the same, but the tailshaft is shorter.

Ter' had a tailshaft, I don't know if he sold it yet. You can PM him and find out. https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/profile.forum?mode=viewprofile&u=231

I would leave the existing set-up in if nothing is flexing. You have an 18" longer wheelbase than the A100. Mike Crangle uses a long tailshaft in his 440 CI monster.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 am

Yup...that's definitely not a factory setup on that trans and neither is the driveshaft. If it's sturdy stay with it.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:01 pm

kinda looks like a d-series truck tranny crossmember. should be rugged enough though. i bet the speedo don't work with the cable location at the top either...

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2009 12:57 am

I recently bought a 1969 fargo a108 and it has a very similar set up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am