BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

front/ rear end swap and bags

trekid

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-06-02

front/ rear end swap and bags

Post by trekid on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:58 pm

New to the forums and these vans,

I currently have quite a big project i have a 1968 chevy g van i would like to put dist brakes and air suspension on and A/C. I would really like to lay it down low as possible. I found the guy on here who makes the conversion brackets for disk brakes but Would it be easier to just swap a different front and rear end out that has more aftermarket support for an air suspension set up? is there anyone who has done similar? and what are their setups? There just doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support for these vans.

Thanks in advance

-Trey-
trekid

Re: front/ rear end swap and bags

Post by trekid on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:09 pm

xjamesx

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Welcome Trey. This is a great place and tons of knowledgeable members here. Look in the upper right corner of this page to the Search feature. There are tons of previous posts about lowering, disc brakes, etc that can give you faster answers if you're overly anxious.
wirepuller

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Post by wirepuller on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Hey Trekid,

There are a few guys on here that have taken different paths to get the lowered look, myself included. I have gone full independent frame/suspension with air ride setup. My build is "operation breadbox" if you want to take a look for some ideas.

If you want a mild drop, you could remove all but one leaf in the front and slide an air bag between the axle and frame. It might not go as low as you want, but cost effective and still safe.

If you are ambitious and handy with a welder, you can do as some others have done here, and grafted a mustang II IFS kit into the front end, with air ride setup. This is more costly, very safe and will get you down on the ground.

As for the rear end, the easiest thing to do is C-Channel the rear end, put in some air bags and add a 4-link setup to keep the rear end from sliding side to side.

If you search out mothradeath, homebrew, suicideking, Army of Six, Lyrad, 3onthetree and myself, you will see some great build threads with many different approaches! Have fun, take the time to thoroughly investigate and plan your build and don't be afraid to ask questions. All the guys on here a wealth of knowledge!

WP
Big W

Number of posts : 3277
Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Welcome to VV. You have come to the right place for all your vintage van needs. Great looking van, and don't forget to post pics as you move along on your project.
trekid

Post by trekid on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:39 pm

WOW Thanks for all the help this answered all my questions! looks like i have some studying to do!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 pm