VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Big W
Seth G
6 posters

Steering Gear Grease

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Steering Gear Grease Empty Steering Gear Grease

Post by Seth G Sat May 30, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm posting this for anyone that can't remember the last time they topped off their steering box and more importantly, for those that have never done it, or are thinking,"steering box grease?!" Smile

I was replacing my front wheel bearings and races this morning and when it came time to pack the bearings I figured I'd go ahead and grease the entire front end, kingpins, steering joints etc. Then I figured I'd try and fill the steering box forcing out the old stuff. I had recently opened the fill on it and it appeared to be full. Well, long story a little shorter, I just pumped what seemed like damn near an entire tube in there and got very little old grease out. Other than the stuff packed in around the fill hole which made it appear full.  Steering smoothness increase noticeably after I was done. Granted it's off the ground. But there was a slight grinding or vibration before and it wasn't as free wheeling.

For anyone whose never done this, this is how I did it, may or may not be the correct way. I took the tip off the gun so I could stick it down through the hole. Then when the the wheel is turned all the way in one direct which allows it to go  down in there the farthest. Don't remember which direction, I think left. One way it won't go in far at all the other it will go in there 2" or more. Then I pumped and pumped until I got all fresh looking grease out and slowly pulled the tube out while still pumping to top it off. Then, important, put the plug back in. Then turned the wheel all the way to the opposite direction. Remove the plug and if there is space, filled. If not started turning the wheel back in the opposite direction  and the grease starts dropping. Stop, fill, turn more, fill etc. Till the wheel is all the way back in the original direction. Replaced plug, repeat until I was satisfied it was completely packed with grease. You can't overfill the box from what I have read, if over filled it will come out of the input shaft.

This site is helpful:

http://www.stangerssite.com/lubrication.html

I couldn't find a "ford type" moly fortified grade 1 grease at any of the local auto parts places. Only grade 2. So I went with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. People complain that it drips, so I think it will be good for the steering box. Pricey though for what it is. I'm not saying it's the right grease to use, just that it's what I used. I guess Ford sells a grease specifically for this purpose. I use Mystik JT6 High Temp, no moly, for everything else.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Steering Gear Grease Empty Re: Steering Gear Grease

Post by Big W Sat May 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks for posting that Seth. That's some great info.
    rdsrds123
    rdsrds123

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2015-09-27

Post by rdsrds123 Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:38 am

In 1973 my '66 Falcon van lost it's steering box to a lack of grease. Happened while driving down a windie twisty road. No warning, just locked up in a few turns of the wheel. Had to walk away and get it towed home (14 miles). Junkyard boxes were $50. Got a new one from Ford for $100. Easy swap out. Was an old Baltimore Gas and Electric van.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:03 pm

did this to my last econoline, before I put it back on the road. great maintenance tip. thanks.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:16 am

For Mopars they say just use gear lube, and check and fill every 2 years. YMMV
    DaGroats
    DaGroats

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2015-06-24

Post by DaGroats Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:52 am

I just refurb'd the steering box in my '63 about 2 months ago. Somewhere along it's lifetime somebody had serviced the box with 90 wt which attacked the bronze bushings on the sector shaft. So, no - don't use gear lube in your early Econoline steering box.

FWIW, I packed mine with Green Grease I found at my local AZ. Steering is smooth as butter and it goes where I point it now!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:32 pm

Donivan recommends a similar procedure for G-vans, did the same on my '64 Chevy. Just open the plug bolt and pump a grease gun into the hole until it over flows, did wonders for steering short of rebuilding the box. Just used standard NAPA chassis grease from a cartridge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm