VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Paint code info for Handy-Vans?

morbank
    morbank

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Paint code info for Handy-Vans? Empty Paint code info for Handy-Vans?

Post by morbank Sun May 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Trying to figure out the paint code for the interior of my '68 Handy-Van. Was there a service parts identification sticker back in '68? And if so, where was it located?
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Paint code info for Handy-Vans? Empty Re: Paint code info for Handy-Vans?

Post by Xelmon Sun May 17, 2015 1:26 pm

I have yet to spot any identification for exterior paint used, much less interior.
    As a tid-bit, VW vans on the other hand have the color stamped into their VIN plate.

I figure that since these vans were dipped whole whatever paint is on the outside, it's the same on the inside...
    That said, my '68 Chevy was a special order and originally the Forest Service green exterior, and off-white interior. My GMC on the other hand is "safety" orange ext/int.

I'd bet ya that for GMC as a cost cutting measure they had 1 color, and they just painted the dash-highlight area with that silver/gray color. So if that off-yellow is your original paint, that may be your interior paint too.
    morbank
    morbank

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by morbank Sun May 17, 2015 8:20 pm

The yellow exterior on my van was done in the 70's. I too have Forest Service green as my original exterior color. But my original interior color is a metallic turquoise color so I'm not sure about your one color GMC theory? My van is a display model, so maybe they ordered a custom paint job too?

I've found various old Chevy/GMC interior paint chips online and this "Med. Green Met. Gloss" swatch looks awfully close to the color in my van:

Paint code info for Handy-Vans? 9560L

But I've bought at least 5 different paints that looked close from the swatch online and then when I see the paint in real life it's not close. Which is why I'm trying to figure out if the Handy-Vans had a service parts identification sticker. Sounds like I'm gonna have to keep experimenting though...
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Sun May 17, 2015 11:40 pm

Display, eh?
    Would not be surprised if that got custom-ed in too.

To be honest I sort of remember seeing an off-greenish like that in my Chevy too.
    Hm, good luck man!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am