VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Bruce67Econoline
vanny
SamHite
7 posters

Flip out Windows

SamHite
    SamHite

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2012-09-05

Flip out Windows Empty Flip out Windows

Post by SamHite Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Anyone have a source for the hardware for flip out side windows? I've been looking & can't find any reference to them.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Flip out Windows Empty Re: Flip out Windows

Post by vanny Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 am

Sam, there are several guys on here that sell econo parts. I'm sure they'll chime in soon. You can also post a request in the "E" parts wanted section.

Last edited by vanny on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:49 pm

What are you looking for. I have complete pop outs minus new gaskets. I have some others I can pull parts and pieces off of.
    SamHite
    SamHite

Post by SamHite Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Sorry Bruce I don't get on this site very often. I've had a house remodel going for my daughter. I'm hoping to get going again in the spring. I need the hinges & latches, basically all of the sundry parts to make them pop out. Mine were stationary windows. I would like to do six windows. All four door windows & two on the drivers side. I'm hoping to diamond drill my original glass, Ha Ha. I don't want to spend a ton on the windows because I'm still deciding if I want to put in AC. Thanks for your time.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am

They come in the frames, you won't be drilling your old glass. Three screws on the hinge side which are normally already drilled , and three on the latch sides. You will need to get new rubber weather-stripping. Tim Brogan has two of the three he has made that fit well. The body one is not being made yet. Rumor has it the weather stripping from an Astro van fits the body fairly well Give me a call at843-327-7016 when you are ready for them. I have a lot of them in stock at the moment, but I have another guy who needs six as well

uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Hopefully Tim will chime in, 1 of the 2 oem type seals are available, the one that beads in around the glass frame. The one that goes on the door isn't and that one isn't it. I have read that it can work. On the oem seal the part that snaps on the the door is fairly wide and it has a lip that comes out towards the glass/frame for the seal. Luckily mine are in good, soft condition. The window frame itself holds the other seal, it slides in a groove around the pop out window frams on a bead with a small lip that seals against the rounded metal part of the door frame in the opening, beyond the other seal.
    SamHite
    SamHite

Post by SamHite Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Bruce67Econoline wrote:They come in the frames, you won't be drilling your old glass.  Three screws on the hinge side which are normally already drilled , and three on the latch sides. You will need to get new rubber weather-stripping. Tim Brogan has two of the three he has made that fit well. The body one is not being made yet. Rumor has it the weather stripping from an Astro van fits the body fairly well  Give me a call at843-327-7016 when you are ready for them. I have a lot of them in stock at the moment, but I have another guy who needs six as well

OK thanks I'll call.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Seth G wrote:Hopefully Tim will chime in, 1 of the 2 oem type seals are available, the one that beads in around the glass frame. The one that goes on the door isn't and that one isn't it. I have read that it can work. On the oem seal the part that snaps on the the door is fairly wide and it has a lip that comes out towards the glass/frame for the seal. Luckily mine are in good, soft condition. The window frame itself holds the other seal, it slides in a groove around the pop out window frams on a bead with a small lip that seals against the rounded metal part of the door frame in the opening, beyond the other seal.

I'm in the process right now of making a deal with a company to produce the 3rd seal. It's looking promising and will take at least 6 months they say. I gave up on the previous company after ownership change.
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:26 pm

I've taken my pop-out window frames apart and am getting ready to have them sand blasted and powder coated. I have a question though. While cleaning them up, I noticed the hinges are frozen shut. They aren't particularly rusted, but after prying them and using WD40 I can only get them a few degrees open.
    The question is: Are the hinges only designed to open a few degrees or should they be full swing hinges? Here's a picture of mine as full open as I can get them. I don't want to force them if they aren't supposed to open further. Thanks

Flip out Windows Hinge10
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm

The windows only open about 6 inches
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Bruce67Econoline wrote:The windows only open about 6 inches

Bruce, I realize that from the latch mechanism and pictures of course. Just wondered if the hinges needed to move further for the installation process.
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2017-02-25

Post by EconoRedman Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 am

Bruce67Econoline wrote:What are you looking for. I have complete pop outs minus new gaskets. I have some others I can pull parts and pieces off of.

Hi Bruce,

I am not trying to hijack Sam's parts, but if you have any left over, I would like to do just 4 windows. Could you let me know if you have anything left ?

Thanks,
    Rod

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 am