VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!!

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!! Empty I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!!

Post by Vanish Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Wink A Friend of mine called today... He was at Pick a Part and Got me a HEI Distributor Today !!!! with the coil Pack on top !!!!!!!! So I just got to get some new Parts for it and it can go on the No Door !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!! Empty Re: I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!!

Post by Kakster Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Hey Vanish, Can you explaine to me the advantage of HEI (I admit I'm lame) and will it work on a 250 L6? Also what kind of car would it come out of, just in case I get down to a local PAP.
    Kakster
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!! Empty Re: I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!!

Post by Vanish Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:14 pm

The most common form of DI found on GM vehicles is the High Energy Ignition (HEI) system. The advantages of HEI are:

ability to fire leaner mixtures with high voltages
    extended spark plug life
    fewer moving parts with reduced service
    precise ECM timing control (if so equipped)
    electronically-controlled coil primary current
    and also you dont have a remote coil if you get the right one... so it cleans it up some to in your Dog House.......

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:38 pm

It gets rid of those points, because them points are always rubbing,,,and the block is wearing down, causing the points to get closer. And for every .001 of an inch the points close, the timing retards 1 degree.
    And points can't handle more than 6 volts, so you got that ballast resistor to deal with that has to cut the voltage down. But basically its just high maintenance to keep a point system in specs. As Vanish said, the HEI came in 2 flavors, the 1st one from 74-77 had a separate big coil mounted next to the distributor. Then from 78-88, the good type with the coil built into the cap was used on most Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds and GMC with the INLINE 6 cylinder engines,,,,(same story for an 8 cylinder HEI distributor)They may have a little bit different vacuum and centrifugal advanced curve for each model, but it slips right in and slap a 12 volt wire to it and away you go,,,,,,,
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 pm

my van ran way better after i installed an HEI dist. i got a new one off ebay for $70 with coil in cap but my van has a V8 which is way easier to find an HEI for.
    i highly recommend this upgrade. and easy to install i thought.
    james
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks for all the info. I will keep my eyes peeled for one to put into my 67. I imagine it might help with the mileage if it keeps the motor in tune better.
    Kakster
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:20 pm

You can find that distributor in the Blue No Door now,,,,,,

I Found a HEI DISTRIBUTOR TODAY !!!!!! Repair17

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:18 pm