VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+14
HurricaneBilly
AzDon
Joe Van
Space Truckin
ditdater
CandyVanCan
Vanish
Twinpilot001
vanny
Digz
samsvan
Vantasia
Bruce67Econoline
Lazarusvan
18 posters

CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK?

CandyVanCan
    CandyVanCan

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2014-10-26

CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 Empty Re: CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Post by CandyVanCan Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Lazarusvan wrote:Just found this photo on my computer.  Shows the center portion only painted.

If I go paint and not chrome, I'm going to do entire rib section, not just center, and black out the in between parts.

CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 Van_bu10

You mean like this??
    CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 Van_bu12
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 Empty Re: CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Post by 65-G10-guy Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Candy, you are an artist.  Good work!
    CandyVanCan
    CandyVanCan

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2014-10-26

Post by CandyVanCan Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:08 pm

65-G10-guy wrote:Candy, you are an artist.  Good work!

Thanks, however I really like your "real-deal" grille in body color... Unpretentious!
    HurricaneBilly
    HurricaneBilly

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2014-11-25

Post by HurricaneBilly Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 am

I think this one looks good as well . CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 51217711
    bletman
    bletman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by bletman Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Two thumbs up.
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Huh...
    I think it makes the van look really wide, as the chrome highlight will go from side-to-side.

Would be interested to see what it looks RL though. Pictures rarely do these things justice.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:08 am

Here is an original GM sales flyer and it shows the black painted background in the grill, whether or not they actually did this in production in questionable, I have never seen one? anyone?
    CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 T2ec1610
    Another GM literature shot:
    CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 Kgrhqf10
    VCVCSmiley
    VCVCSmiley

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by VCVCSmiley Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Midnight Rambler. The original "chrome-grilled" early.

CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 Tumblr_mn3urepBq21rqdjkzo1_500
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:42 pm

VCVCSmiley wrote:Midnight Rambler. The original "chrome-grilled" early.

CUSTOM CHROME GRILL MOCKUP-WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Page 2 Tumblr_mn3urepBq21rqdjkzo1_500

Wow!  That is badass to my eyeballs and exactly what I had in mind.  I knew someone had to have done it prior.

Can anyone tell if that is an overlay?  It appears that way to me upon close inspection yet looks pretty smooth.

How would something like that attach/stay in place?
    VCVCSmiley
    VCVCSmiley

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by VCVCSmiley Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 pm

From the info I have on the van, it was 1/2 round stock bent and chromed for the overlay. I don't know how it was affixed.
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:04 pm

Wow, something about lots of chrome on a dark vehicle just makes my van shake!  Too kool
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:21 am

That's nice and simple and clean looking.  Thin polished stainless would also work, the center bars are easy, just find some long straight side spears off a 50's-60's-70's car. Some even have pointed/rounded ends and if they were spliced in the center, the ends could be made to match.  Its fabricating the end curves that will be a challenge, possibly find some old car headlight rings and cut one in half to form semi-circles...sounds like a day walking a few boneyards or swap meets for ideas/parts?  For an overlay, small studs or trim clips would work or use that super 3M mounting tape made for trim.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am