VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
mattimuss
66ThunderVan
6 posters

Cross country "Gumball Rally" blast from Phoenix to Bolling Green

66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Cross country "Gumball Rally" blast from Phoenix to Bolling Green Empty Cross country "Gumball Rally" blast from Phoenix to Bolling Green

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Back in the 70's they had a Van run at Beech Bend Campground in Bolling Green Ky. My good friend and I decided to make the trip. The problem was that he couldn't leave until after work on Thursday and the Party started Friday night. So, we packed up and stopped off at our Van club meeting on the way out of town. We left at 8:10 pm and took the most direct route heading East.
    My friend, Westside, had a 69 Ford with a 240 and I had my early with a 351. His Van set the pace and he had it to the floor the whole trip. This was pure crazy and I don't think anyone could get away with that kind of speed today, but we were young and dumb and full of it so we put the hammer all the way down.
    We both had fresh tunes on our CB's and left them wide open with the squelch off so as to pick up distant bear reports. We did a lot of jawing to keep each other awake and hang with the 18 wheelers to keep up on conditions. The bad news was that they couldn't keep up and even if they could they were on log books and had to stop at all the chicken coups along the way.
    Westside liked to drink Coors and back then you could only bring 2 cases across the Mississippi river and it was hard to find back East. We both packed our 2 cases and ole Westside didn't even make it to the river and he gets on the CB and says "hey Bumblebee can you spare some "Colorada Cool Aid". Did I tell you Westside liked to drink. Anyway he was feeling good the whole way. I guess following me kept him in the right direction.
    Wow, what a ride! We tore I40 a new one. We only stopped for fuel and 10-100's the whole trip. I don't know how we stayed out of jail but thanks to luck and Truckers we made it and didn't hurt anyone. On Friday we were in Arkansas on this long downhill grade and Westside was able to pick up the pace a little. The road was clear except for a couple of 18 wheelers who weren't talking and we passed them and after we passed I heard the clearest radio ever step in and say " Howboutcha Bumblebee, is that you in that yeller Van with the airplane motor in it?"
    Well we pulled into the campground at 1:35 AM Saturday in one piece and got a hand written number for the meet because they ran out of dash plaques. Ours was 2000 + and they said they gave out 5000. What a party! 2000 plus miles in 30 something hours and I'm alive to tell about it. Those were the "Good old days" for sure.
    This here's the Bumblebee, I'm 10-10!
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2009-05-04

Cross country "Gumball Rally" blast from Phoenix to Bolling Green Empty Re: Cross country "Gumball Rally" blast from Phoenix to Bolling Green

Post by mattimuss Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:39 am

Man, does your story bring back good memories from a time gone by!

Thanks for sharing!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Cross country "Gumball Rally" blast from Phoenix to Bolling Green Empty Re: Cross country "Gumball Rally" blast from Phoenix to Bolling Green

Post by Big W Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:53 am

Great story and great memories. Thanks for sharing.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:05 am

Let them truckers roll! That's a big 10-4! The crazy things we do when we're young. It's a wonder we survive! Thanks for sharing!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:21 pm

great story. I love being out on the open road. it almost makes me forget about bills, my job, etc. . .
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:36 pm

I too was in Boling Green that year. Came down from the Windy City. The club ( midwest vans, Oak Lawn chapter) left out around noon on Thursday, and I didn't finish putting my motor in until 6 p.m. One other friend stayed behind to make sure I made it. Around 3 a.m. he was doing about 90 mph on the shoulder of the road to avoid traffic. (we were the only ones on the road at that time). As best as I can remember, we had a great weekend. SEX, DRUGS AND ROCK N ROLL !!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm