VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
mcfly
RipVanArkie
6 posters

Vanner Foods and drinks.

Vanner Foods and drinks. Empty Vanner Foods and drinks.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Just thought it might be interesting to hear about your favorite recipes. Here's one for those of you who live in cold areas. Put 3-4 drops of hot sauce (Tobasco is great) in a shot glass and fill with cinnamon schnaps . It will warm you from the inside out. Two or three shots and you are good to go. I always use this when I am fishing in the high Sierra mountains.

Last edited by vanishingbreed on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)

Vanner Foods and drinks. Empty Re: Vanner Foods and drinks.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm

My favorite meal originates in the deep south. It consists of southern fried chicken with fried okra and black eyed peas, mashed potatoes and gravy and either homemade buttermilk biscuits or cornbread You can add some green tomatoes, and onions to the okra To me this meal is a little touch of heaven.

Also if you like fried okra you might want to try it with a bowl of spicy chicken curry and a side bowl of steamed white rice. Chase it down with a cold bottle of one of Indias great beers. Dessert could be a bowl of rice pudding, Indian style. The rice pudding will take the sting off that the curry leaves in your mouth. I have never found anything that takes the heat away as well as rice pudding. Also you can add some spicy hot sauce or chili powder to the okra when you fry it.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Mike, your southern meal can still be found in hundreds of cafe's here in Arkansas. Maybe we should serve this up at this years MidSouth Econoline meet!?

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:40 pm

My family had roots in Arkansas and Tennessee and Georgia. I grew up on good old southern cooking. I remember churning our own butter and making our ice cream. Butter beans with ham and fried potatoes has always been another favorite also a good bunch of greens with BBQed pork ribs, white corn on the cob and corn bread. Damn I am getting hungery.
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Mike, sounds like you may have the makings of a vanners cookbook.If so I will take one.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:46 am

I cook collard greens with fresh ground horse radish and baccon fat. great side with any BBQ!
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:54 am

Mike,good idea on this new thread.Just a lil more something to share.I know we all have something we like to pig out on.
    Being raised here in the South,I was eatin 'Soul Food' before I knew what that was.Haaaa ! Cause if it was fried,or bar b qued,we ate it.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:37 pm

OMG... this thread sounds soooo good!

Mike, if you wrote a COOKbook Laughing you would have your readers going nuts!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:39 pm

I used to be the manager and cook at a Swingers club in San Bernardino. Mostly Hollywood movie stars, directors, producers and sports stars from local NFL teams as well as NBA and MLB teams. I decided to cook up a bunch of gumbo and jambalya one time and one movie producers wife who is Cajun offered me a blank check for my recipes which I turned down. She said her parents owned a 5 star restaurant on Bourbon Street in New Orleans and their gumbo and jambalya were not as good as mine. Quite a complement but the recipes have been in my family for over 100 years and are not for sale. Her husband asked me to be the head cook on his 200' yacht and I had to decline because I get seasick very easily. I am not a gourmet cook, just cook things I like and love to try new things. Will eat just about anything once. A friend took me up on that once and brought some fried bumble bees, chocolate covered bees and chocolate covered grasshoppers and ants over to my house. They were all pretty good. Things I won't eat include fresh monkey brains, maggots, liver and beets. I saw large blood clots in people in Vietnam that looked just like beets and that turned me off on beets forever. Also was served maggots, rice and BBQed dog with kempche at a leper colony in Nam. I ate the rice and dog (did not no at the time it was dog) and threw the rest away. I ask for more meat and the guy serving it said " Oh GI like number one dog" I immediately threw up. People in Nam tried to get me to eat the huge black cockroaches but that is just plain gross. They said to hold the roach (3"-6" long) by the head and bite off the butt.

Last edited by vanishingbreed on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected spelling)
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 pm

the cockroach thing is almost like eating crawfish! - i could try and think of some fancy things that are good but when it comes down to it, its the simple things that are great - there is nothing better than some homemade tortillas - either flour or corn - beans refried or regular with queso, avocado, and salsa - homemade tortillas being the key - not that paper they sell in the stores - oo3

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:23 pm

oo3 wrote:the cockroach thing is almost like eating crawfish! - i could try and think of some fancy things that are good but when it comes down to it, its the simple things that are great - there is nothing better than some homemade tortillas - either flour or corn - beans refried or regular with queso, avocado, and salsa - homemade tortillas being the key - not that paper they sell in the stores - oo3

Yep I agree. My wife and daughter make some killer home made tomales and enchiladas. They use black beans to make their own refried beans and they are great. My wife also makes some fantastic rellenos.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Oh yeah on the cockroach thing have you ever seen what squirts out when one is stepped on??? That is what you would be eating. The ones in Nam are huge.
    mcfly
    mcfly

Post by mcfly Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 pm

This thread is not good for the diet I was to start this week.I hope you have a good sangria recipe to wash this down with or something else,maybe a Mojito.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:02 pm

I never drink wine so can't recommend any. We have a dessert drink that involves three kinds of rum ( Captain Morgans, coconut and Bacardi 151) 2 shots of each, pineapple juice, fresh strawberries and either ice cream or whip cream on top. Sometimes we blend in a banana with it.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Speakin of food...I've always wondered what Sasktrini's fixin up in that pot on his avatar.heh heh
    Somebody brought up crawfish...they ain't bad at all if cooked up with the right spices,new potatoes,and short ears of corn on the cob.Your eyes get to watering,ya nose gets to runnin,and juice gets to runnin down to your elbows.Its gettin about that time of year.Aaaa Eeee!
    With all of the 'seasoned' vanners in here,sure there's some good Dutch Oven or Hobo Stew recipies to be had.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Here's a good snack. One 1 gallon can of jalapenos. Cut each pepper in half length wise and remove the seeds. Stuff each half with tuna salad. These are like potato chips. You can't eat just one. You can put these on a platter with slices of habanero cheese and celery filled with peanut butter and some baby carrots with your favorite dip. Chase it all down with a few cold beers or margaritas. We make up three one gallon cans of jalapenos for our super bowl party with all the above. Anyone that comes to the party has to bring at least a quart of Tequila. Every time a field goal is scored you drink one shot of tequila and every time a touch down is scored you drink 2 shots of tequila. This is addition to whatever you are drinking waiting for a score. Also a joint for every score. Gets to be quite a party if it is a high scoring game. Of course the next day can be killer if it is a high scoring game with a hangover and a burning butt from all the Jalapenos.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Sounds great! Just glad you don't do it with basket ball.Them three pointers would kill ya! heh heh Sorry ya'll its late here.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:08 pm

yeah I doubt if anyone would last through the first half of a basketball game.
    We used to roll up an oz. of MJ and put all the joints on our xmas tree and then smoke them all before we opened any gifts. We stopped that back in the 70s. Got to expensive. It was only $10.00 for an oz. then. I haven't bought any since the price went up but have friends that always bring some to our parties. Like "Chronic Butter" now. Can only get it at MJ dispenseries though. and I don't have a prescription or the card needed by the state of California.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:20 am

Ive yet to try crawfish,. Allthough living in New England we eat LOBSTAH!! and CLAM CHOWDA Razz

Post by Guest Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Craw fish is great. There is a place in Reno, Nevada that offers all the prime rib and lobster you can eat for $7.95. That also includes a salad bar and huge desert bar. You serve yourself there.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:45 pm

I was back and forth emailing Planet Vear,the way he was talkin,its like lobstah is a poor mans food up in Maine.But when I mentioned Real moonshine,he seemed to perk up a bit.Lol It's funny how the food/drink not from our area is almost a delicassey to us.Guess its all what we're not used to,is what we crave.
    VB,your unit of measure above,is what was known as a'lid' down here.Dunno why,but mention the word,and we knew what you were talkin about.heh heh
    mcfly
    mcfly

Post by mcfly Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 pm

vanishingbreed wrote:
    We used to roll up an oz. of MJ and put all the joints on our xmas tree and then smoke them all before we opened any gifts. We stopped that back in the 70s.

Wow mike,I guess that was your version of a Green Christmas. Even before it became fashionable. santa

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:19 am

Nightmoves wrote:I was back and forth emailing Planet Vear,the way he was talkin,its like lobstah is a poor mans food up in Maine.But when I mentioned Real moonshine,he seemed to perk up a bit.Lol It's funny how the food/drink not from our area is almost a delicassey to us.Guess its all what we're not used to,is what we crave.
    VB,your unit of measure above,is what was known as a'lid' down here.Dunno why,but mention the word,and we knew what you were talkin about.heh heh

Yeah we used that too. 4 finger lids were $10.00. Kilos were $95.00-$110.00. I used to sort of panic when I got down to 100 pounds. In Nam we could get a kilo with three oz. of opium oil for $10.00.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 am

mcfly wrote:
    vanishingbreed wrote:
    We used to roll up an oz. of MJ and put all the joints on our xmas tree and then smoke them all before we opened any gifts. We stopped that back in the 70s.

Wow mike,I guess that was your version of a Green Christmas. Even before it became fashionable. santa

Yeah we were pseudo hippies I guess. We never used store bought Xmas tree ornaments . We made our own. We strung popcorn, and cranberries and used whole egg shells as ornaments We would put a hole in each end of a raw egg then blow the yolk and white out to make scrambled eggs then use the shell on our tree. Usually left them white but sometimes colored them ala Easter eggs. The joints were an added attraction. We would put a black light above the tree which caused the egg shells and anything else that was white to have a feint glow. Very simple but looked nice. I think either beatniks or hippies were the first to advocate going green.

Vanner Foods and drinks. Empty NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!! HOO-HAA!!!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 pm

benwah wrote:I cook collard greens with fresh ground horse radish and baccon fat. great side with any BBQ!
    Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am