VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+14
vanny
back2thewoods
Joe Van
Twinpilot001
dan nachel
jimthefred
dix
Bruce67Econoline
Space Truckin
econopoor
Digz
Van crazy
Xelmon
Lazarusvan
18 posters

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Empty LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:02 pm

I finally bit the bullet yesterday and had my van towed off from my house.  After searching for nearly a year via this forum, I paid top dollar and purchased a van from VCVC moderator and VV's member (GregW98), Greg Worley.  It was marketed as a ready to go, rust free van with a rebuilt motor that he wouldn't dream of taking a dollar less for because it was so nice, but  it was anything but that.  

It had plenty of hidden rust, shortcuts galore, lamp cord for wiring, COMPLETELY rusted out exhaust which I have since replaced (it was extremely loud as a result and nearly killed me with fumes since it had a hole at the manifold and rear) dry rotted/old tires, worn out wheels in need of total restoration, silicone glued wheel caps, rusted through barn doors, rust bubbled drivers doors, was missing most door seals, de-laminated vent windows, old, cracked windshield glass, disconnected E-Brake, leaking windshield, a tranny that wouldn't go into drive without warming up, non-working heater core and every place that oil or transmission fluid could leak, it did. It arrived with obvious signs of an oil leak as oil was slung up on the barn doors.  

Those are just some of the issues.  If you learn any lesson from me, NEVER purchase a vintage vehicle based upon photos or anyone's supposed reputation.  Look at it yourself and if you can't verify they have rebuilt anything, don't believe them.  It was clear that he was selling it because it was riddled with problems I am now correcting. When I mentioned these things to him, he told me he considered them minor annoyances. I considered them expenses I couldn't afford and justify, especially after paying all the money for a tip top van he told me would "give me years of trouble free service."

I have been plagued with running issues from Day One, spent thousands on repairs and finally decided to stop chasing problems and start from scratch.  I have never gotten to enjoy the van I dreamed of and I doubt I've put more than 500-800 miles on it because it never ran correctly.  It has sat for the last 6 months after dumping a ton of fluid on my driveway.

The 26 year old mechanic that will likely do all aspects of my restoration already yanked it from the van and tore it apart.  We explored doing a compression test first, but a quick look inside with his camera indicated the motor was anything but recently rebuilt and showed many miles of wear and tear.  He said, without question, that I was running with one cylinder down, and it was certainly that way when Greg Worley sold it to me because it's run like crap from the start and that was never able to be corrected, even after tossing many $$$ at it.

The first project is rebuilding and restoring the engine to like new condition.  As for the tranny, I plan to purchase a rebuilt 700r4 or, at the very least, rebuild my 350 if the gear ratios don't make sense. I am keeping the engine stock other than the addition of headers.

I've posted in the showcase before, but nothing ever happened.  I nearly gave up and threw in the towel. This time, it's happening and I am confident I will have a van that actually runs well when I get it back.  I will have lots of questions and appreciate the help.  I also promise to not mention this con artist again, but I wanted it to be preserved here for anyone that might have any dealings with him in terms of purchasing a van in the future.  He may be helpful to you in terms of fixing your van, but don't trust him if you are purchasing one or want one done right.  I will never be able to come close to getting my money back in terms of what I will have invested but it's my duty to preserve this van for the next guy.

Here are a few photos of what I can show you in terms of rust (again, after two years) and the supposedly rebuilt motor.)

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van310

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van510

This started peeling immediately.  Both sides of the van look similar condition wise. Obviously not rust but a paint adherence issue.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van10

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van210

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van110

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van410

Lots of play:

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van710

This is the lifter of the cylinder that likely wasn't firing:

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van1110

Note the nearly flat cam shaft lobe:

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van610

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van910

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Van810

I am curious whether or not all of our vans have galvanized steel around the wheel wells? This is clearly a place that the paint didn't adhere well and it started cracking off as soon as I made an friction with it getting in and out.
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Empty Re: LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO

Post by Xelmon Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:44 pm

OOuuuccchh, too bad about the story.

I've noticed that I've had paint flaking myself. At closer inspection you could see the swirls in the metal, which is galvanizing.
    For galvanizing to be the most effective the chassis would've had to been fully assembled, then galvanized, gaps filled with gap filler, then painted.

They could've assembled/welded up galvanized pieces, however I'm not sure if it was common knowledge that that's a bad... Ya know, poisonous gasses being released from the welding and all that.
    Van crazy

Number of posts : 533
    Registration date : 2011-08-04

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Empty Re: LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO

Post by Van crazy Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:24 am

Sorry to here abought your bad start. Lessen learned by you I guess. Looking at it first before you buy is almost a must if you really want to see what you have. As for starting over thats your best bet. let the past go and stay positive life is to short..You still young... As for the rust... It will never sleep remember that van is older than you lots of people fiddled with it over the years and never put money into it just what it took to keep it going.I can see why you are upset because you were mislead.So anyway forget what it cost you to get it done and have fun....
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:18 am

Yep, the front wheel arches and I believe the wheel well itself are galvanized. You run into that on Dodges also. I'm going to suggest not being afraid to put some plugable holes in the backsides of the rockers and those front doglegs and flush them out with water and air, maybe make sure the frame is clear also. Good luck and I think you are doing it right Laz.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:36 am

Wasn't this the van that was in Katrina? I think I remember when this deal went down. Seems like it had a bunch of flood damage.

Duane in Tennessee
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:28 am

econopoor wrote:Wasn't this the van that was in Katrina? I think I remember when this deal went down. Seems like it had a bunch of flood damage.

Duane in Tennessee

It was, but he told me no rust other than a spot somewhere. I could see the rust in the dog legs when it was still on the flatbed upon delivery.

It was a culmination of things and it was billed as being top notch.

I am moving on and this was my final vent and another life lesson to help others. Ball is rolling!

The best part is that it was already converted to auto and that is a must for me.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:09 pm

Wow, that sounds ugly affraid
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:19 pm

I remember the discrepancies when you first saw it. It had a lot of issues. That's the thing about buying one unseen. I've been on both ends. The guy I got my truck from wasn't honest about it either. I almost came home without it. I'm glad I didn't It turned out to be a great truck. It still has issues but I've had a lot of fun with it and I've met some great people because of it.

It's good to see you haven't given up hope. Just tackle the problems one at a time and you'll get through it. You'll be happy you did. Don't worry about the bad. Try and enjoy each step along your path. In the end you will be paid back. Not with money but with satisfaction and good times. We're all here for just a short time. Try and have a good time while you are. That's what it's all about.

Duane in Tennessee
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Lee looking forward to seeing it on the road again. Looking forward to the day our vans are parked side by side at a car show.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:20 am

I don't think i could have said it any better than econopoor did, it you want it top shelf
    then you have to do it your self. wish you all the best on your project...
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:12 am

I had the same thing with my van. Was a driver according to the p/o. Shit, Not on a good day!Got it from California and he said it was ready to paint! B.S!!! It is really solid cept for the front doors and tons of dents/waves and warps from welding up holes. It has a 100 amp 1 wire alternator that was put on at an angle so it squealed all the time, Bad column shifter and a real bad lowering job with enough bump steer to kill a man!! Not to mention the nightmare I had dealing with the transport co! I could have bought a way nicer van with what I have into buying /shipping this one so, You are not alone. I am starting from scratch with mine too!  Cool
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:18 am

Hey Lazarusvan. What size tires are you running? Are you running disc brakes on either axle? I sold a friend a set of those Vette wheels and we are trying to figure out what tire will work the best. I'm thinking 235/60/15's should do fine. Wanted to know how your tires fit.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:31 pm

econopoor wrote:Hey Lazarusvan. What size tires are you running? Are you running disc brakes on either axle? I sold a friend a set of those Vette wheels and we are trying to figure out what tire will work the best. I'm thinking 235/60/15's should do fine. Wanted to know how your tires fit.

Hi, Duane.  I 'm "running" what came with the van.  

225/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's

Plan to go with same BF's, but I'd like to consider a bigger tire all around if that is possible using the same wheels.  I may switch them out as well, but I like them.  They just need complete restoration to shine, so I have a decision to make.  My tires have good tread but are old.  Don't want to blow one of those out in the brick.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the offset, etc stuff in relation to tires and ability to increase size.

I have drums all around currently but will be upgrading the fronts to the disk brake set I purchased from M1D two years ago.  I know he recently stated somewhere that they will work with my 70's Vette wheels if I keep them.  I also have a factory sway bar that Whopman sold me a while back.

Sorry I can't vouch for the fit with disks quite yet, but the brake man himself said they should work...

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname12

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm

Heater core arrived today and did not survive the trip.  It was shoddily packed with only some brown packing paper which did nothing to protect it.  It didn't really have a fair chance as the box is exactly the size of heater core with no extra room.

I'm hoping to send photos to the company and have them send me a new one without having to return this one.  If so, it's free to anyone who really needs it (if it will function properly with the dents.)

I looked back to compare photos in the heater core thread and Scotty Jones appeared to have a small ding in his as well, but this is a bit more substantial.  

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname14

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname15

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname17
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:06 pm

PROGRESS.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname21

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname22

Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Looking good.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:54 pm

GIT-R-DONE.....monthly cruise-ins start bck up in April. Second Saturday of each month, at Fat Boys, Hwy 1 about 1-1/2 miles south of I-26, West Columbia, S C.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:05 pm

I am Really =saddened- for what u've been thru - trust today= is a thing of the past!! SAD!! Ive even learned not to trust totally in even a wife - just due to them & an attorney they get in a divorce!! Hope everyone reads that!! Twisted Evil Well u have a better start @ what u want now - knowing what u have !! Hope revenge comes from our GOD to the seller!! Just sadly it seems to be slow coming!! affraid Have a Happy redoing all now & rest assured - the sellers day is coming!! Twisted Evil
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 am

"Looking Good" Moveing along Nicely for the most part the van looks Straight & Solid too bad about the motor looks GREAT now...!!!..Like Twin said years ago you can depend on a hand shake and a truthfull opinion on something... now a days its anyones guess...!!!..Keep Up The Great Work..!!!.. cheers

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:53 am

I know the feeling, I bought badmoon risin site unseen, guy sent a bunch of old pics, talk to him several times on phone, had it shipped from Canada, got fucked, lost my ass on it, live and learn, ill run into that ass , he's at the vanfests, boy is he going to get a piece of my mind
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 am

Just adding some new photos to document the build.  The good and the bad...

The Good:

Floors are very solid.  I'd never seen this part of the floor prior and didn't know there was an access door.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname29

Master cylinder.  I am replacing with Corvette style dual circuit for M1D disc brake conversion.

Was in working shape last I drove the van. Free to a good home for cost of actual shipping.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname30

Frenched in fuel door.  For those thinking of doing it, sometimes I like the look of the polished cap on the outside.  Feels more old school.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname31

Solid roof and rails

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname32

Quicksilver shifter.  There was a gauge cluster built around this area, but I most likely will have it relocated to the former radio area or a pillar/steering column.  Not sure if I want to put holes in the smoothed dash.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname33

White faced gauges.  The van went through Katrina and the original dash was mudded.  I'm not sure these are available aftermarket and I think P.O. made this.  Gas gauge works and speedo has floated at 70 mph since the day it hit my doorstep.  Considering selling and going with the original, black speedo and gauge.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname34

Planning to get rid of the exposed wiring

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname35

Awaiting a rebuilt 700r4 and modified driveshaft.  8 hours of scraping away old undercoating and grime have occured in preparation of chassis paint with rust inhibitor.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname36

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname37

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname38

Not shown here, but remote tranny cooler is part of the plan that came with the van.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname39

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname40

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname41

Custom interior kit made for our vans for former VV member, Roman.  This is done by a company that are experts in interiors/sound dampening.  This material goes directly against the sheetmetal using spray glue.  I spoke with the woman in customer service and she insisted that there was no reason the product would accelerate rust, etc by directly installation against sheet metal.

I was in the process of installing it when I decided it was time to go for broke. And I mean broke.  Rolling Eyes

Note the application of Dynamat.  They strategically map out where it should go and this is all we really need.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname43

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname46

The Bad:

Passenger cargo door is rotted through because previous owner had no seals in place.  This door can be salvaged if anyone wants it for free and will pick it up from Charleston, SC.  It is an original First Gen with the square opening.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname42

Same door with homemade LED tailight setup.  Not protected from water and getting trashed.  Frenched license plate area will be rebuilt in new door with proper LED installation.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname44

Ouch!

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname45

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname47

Note the dirt inside the the well in the photo.  If you learn any lesson, be sure to constantly clean this area.  I believe this could be old Katrina mud stuck up in there

Same advice given to me by Don and Digz regarding checking to see what you got (rust). I believe I am going to have plugable drain holes installed.
    Definitely putting in heavy duty coating of anti-rust/POR type material once new sheet metal happens.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname48

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO Unname49

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:30 pm

Replace the master cylinder with a dual circuit, I am sure M1dadio/ Donivan can/ will spell out the particulars as to why
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun May 24, 2015 10:50 am

Just snagged this on eBay for my project.  I've always wanted one and plan to switch out the horn button with my Chevy.  I will be selling the GMC button to anyone who needs it.

I will likely have an alternate horn button run to protect the ring from being damaged.  

Pretty excited to add some bling to my wheel. I may have it re-chromed along with my bumpers if it's not to ridiculous.

What went on the inside, if anything, of the indentations?

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO _57_110

Also, motor with ceramic coated headers is in and 700r4 tranny hooked up.  Nothing much has happened recently as my guy has been restoring a Jag and I had to step back after resto sticker shock...Hoping to get rolling here and really need some clean doors if anyone has some they want a REASONABLE price for...

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sat May 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Progress.

Rebuilt motor and 700r4 tranny are in.  Should actually hear a smooth running 350 by Wednesday.  I went with Sanderson ceramic coated hugger headers.  Motor bored out to .40  Mild cam.

Underside wire brushed with old paint removed and chassis paint applied.

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO 210

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO 110

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO 310

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO 410

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO 610

LAZARUSVAN'S 1964 CHEVY PANEL VAN RESTO 711

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Sat May 30, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat May 30, 2015 4:05 pm

oh yea she's coming along nicely your doing a great job...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 pm