VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Just to verify...

uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Just to verify... Empty Just to verify...

Post by uante Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Ok, I got caught up in Econoline production numbers today and noticed that on one page it listed Panel Vans as code 89H. This is basically a "No Door", meaning no doors on the sides.

I was under the impression (for many reasons) that a Panel Van was a van with no windows on the sides, but could have doors, like mine. But it seems that a van like that is called a Standard Cargo Van code 89A. Which is what I have.

Here's a picture from this site
    http://econolineid.com/production.shtml

Just to verify... Screen20

Picture of a Cargo Van
    Just to verify... Screen21

Any input/debate?

Last edited by uante on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Picture)
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Just to verify... Empty Re: Just to verify...

Post by econopoor Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 pm

It's true that Ford called no doors, panel vans. 89H for the standard van and 89S for the Supervan.

Your van is actually called a regular van. R.H. side doors. 89A for the standard van, 89J for the Supervan.

Display vans have R.H. side doors and fixed windows on the right side. 89E for the standard, 89M for the Supervan.

Ford called their 8 door vans Cargo vans. 89G for standard vans. 89R for Supervans.

You could also get a window 8 door. 89F for standard vans, 89N for Supervans.

Station Bus 89B for standard, 89K for Supervans.

Club Wagon, 89C for standard, 89T for Supervans,

Deluxe Club Wagons, 89D for standard, 89L for Supervans,

Standard pickup is 87A

Deluxe pickup is 87B.

This has been a subject of much debate. Most people call any van without widows a panel. Chevy does. There was a big fight on Facebook just the other day when I guy advertise a van for sale as a panel van. The seller was disappointed to see right side doors when it was delivered. I could tell it was a regular van from the pictures so I was surprised to hear the buyer thought it was a no door. It still causes problems fifty years after the fact.

Duane in Tennessee
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:58 pm

lol Razz

Guess it's an on-going debate. Guess I'll stick to calling mine a Standard Cargo Van.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:55 am

Duane I've always heard Ford called the 8 doors a "delivery van". What gives?
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 am

That came straight from Ford. Right and left hand doors = cargo van. Ford doesn't make any reference to a delivery van in my book.

Duane in Tennessee
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 am

I suppose according to that webpage...my van being a '63 is a standard regular van, one of 47,119 made that year. In other words I have a Ford Econoline SRV Razz
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:16 pm

econopoor wrote:That came straight from Ford. Right and left hand doors = cargo van. Ford doesn't make any reference to a delivery van in my book.

Duane in Tennessee

Man Duane I hate digging for old info. So far I have here in print, Jan. of 63 a Mercury Econoline price sheet that Ford Motor Company Canada refers to 89A as a delivery van. That's not what I was looking for but at least it's a genuine reference from Ford using the term Delivery Van but not for an 8 door. I'll look further when I have more time.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Ford of Canada was a whole different ball game. They did everything different than Ford in the USA. LOL.

Duane in Tennessee.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 am