VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Lazarusvan
Old Skool
Vantasia
HandiVanMan
FIZGIG
GMman
vanny
Joe Van
Twinpilot001
Bruce67Econoline
14 posters

Sad day had an engine fire

Oscarm
    Oscarm

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Empty Re: Sad day had an engine fire

Post by Oscarm Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:53 pm

But: What really caused the fire in the first place ? Maybe things the rest of us can look out for and avoid.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Had some shoddy service done. They installed a new fly wheel and starter, and I think they left a hose or line loose. The van stalled, I put it in neutral and tried to start it. Starter kept going(guessing fire was already going), reached behind the seat, and hit the battery quick disconnect. What we can learn is make sure your shop understands old school car repair.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Bruce67Econoline wrote:Had some shoddy service done. They installed a new fly wheel and starter, and I think they left a hose or line loose. The van stalled, I put it in neutral and tried to start it. Starter kept going(guessing fire was already going), reached behind the seat, and hit the battery quick disconnect. What we can learn is  make sure  your shop understands old school car repair.

Bruce, let me hook you up with my guy.  He has an old school mechanic working with him and he is 100% into old vehicles.  Nice that he rebuilds his own motors and does fabrication work as well.  He is affordable now....He has an Elco and Old Chevy Truck of his own that he is going to restore.  He is currently working on an XKE and has my old gal in the shop. Another customer with a Fiat collection has been using him and recently brought in a pretty rare Fiat Jolly for him to work on.

Should have my 700r4 and freshened motor hooked up next week or so...
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Post by gotdurt Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:36 am

Was the fire in the gold van in your photo? I almost bought that van around this time last year. That sucks, good luck with the new ride.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:54 pm

[quote="gotdurt"]Was the fire in the gold van in your photo? I almost bought that van around this time last year. That sucks, good luck with the new ride.[/quote
    Yes it was, it's for sale again. Picking up my new van tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how she runs and looks up close.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:45 am

Finally some pictures of the fire
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2620
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2621
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2622
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2623

She is for sale Cheap. I'm pulling the complete drive train, and swapping the best parts to my new van. It's pretty rust free except for the rain gutters, which I have replacement sections thanks to Duanne cheers Let me know if you are interested.
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2623
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2624
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2625
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:50 am

And the replacement.............. bounce
    Sad day had an engine fire - Page 2 Img_2626
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Good Luck on your new project looks Nice and Straight..!!!..But like HandiVanMan said I would keep the other one until the New one is on the road..!!!!..That Gold one is sharp also I would be looking for another engine wiring harness carb,,,dist,, for that one.. Very Happy ...JMO...

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Joe Van wrote:Good Luck on your new project looks Nice and Straight..!!!..But like HandiVanMan said I would keep the other one until the New one is on the road..!!!!..That Gold one is sharp also I would be looking for another engine wiring harness carb,,,dist,, for that one.. Very Happy ...JMO...

Just to many vans, and not enough time right now. I have 2 67 falcon club wagons, a 66 display, And a 66 8 door waiting to be shipped from up north. I also have 2 64 F100 custom cabs. So a few of them have to go. My gold one will be a great project for somebody at $1500.00 as a roller.
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Post by gotdurt Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Bruce67Econoline wrote:She is for sale Cheap. I'm pulling the complete drive train, and swapping the best parts to my new van. It's pretty rust free except for the rain gutters, which I have replacement sections thanks to Duanne cheers Let me know if you are interested.
    The rain gutters were what scared me away before, especially the rear corners, mainly because I couldn't see them in person (I'm in Texas) and I was new to these vans... What do you have for replacements?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am