VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
67supervan
6 posters

Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith?

67supervan

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2011-09-20

locks - Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith? Empty Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith?

Post by 67supervan Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 pm

My 66 chevy needs matching locks. The locksmiths advertising their services in the Denver area are asking $25-45 per cylinder to rekey. That's obscene. Most of these smiths don't have a shop and use a call dispatch center in New York, further preventing the prices from being reasonable. At that rate, I'd be better off buying new locks, although I can't find a set that includes a cylinder for the cargo door.

If you've had locks rekeyed for your Chevy in the $5-15 per cylinder range, please tell me where you went. I'm thinking it's going to be cheaper just to ship my locks out in a $5 priority package to a locksmith that's not trying to retire after their next transaction.

Or, if you know of a chevy parts seller that can provide matching new locks for all doors and ignition, that would be helpful too.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

locks - Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith? Empty Re: Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith?

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:24 pm

here in spokane  wa. theres an old   locksmith- they have  (still) many old cars locksets & can rekey -CHEAPLY!!   this is it -if a woman answers- -ur in luck!! its the wife -about age 75? and she knows her stuff!! ask her.  !! I go by there all the time!! They have forgotten -more than  most Locksmiths now = will ever learn!!   lol!  lol!  lol!

http://www.mapquest.com/us/washington/business-spokane/garys-key-lock-288211154

Last edited by Twinpilot001 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Number of posts : 46
    Registration date : 2014-06-30

locks - Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith? Empty Re: Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith?

Post by Jeremy Wynn Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:26 pm

it's been a few years but I had some done right at my Chevrolet dealer parts department, actually did it while I waited. think it was $5 or something . of course I had them pulled out of the car and just took the cylinders and key in
    67supervan

Post by 67supervan Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks twinpilot, I'll call them soon.
    Jeremy, my local chevy dealer wants $120/hour to rekey cylinders. Thanks for mentioning though.

Anyone else know of places too?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:53 pm

rocky69rhodes
    rocky69rhodes

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2014-09-26

locks - Locks Keys & REKEY - anyone know of a cheap locksmith? Empty chevy G10 key $35 in Chula Vista ( 10 miles south of san Diego)

Post by rocky69rhodes Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 am

http://www.alcatrazlocksmith.com/ They will send you a key if you provide title to vehicle an key code on cylinder or you can send core an they will rekey and send back Prices start at 35$ plus shipping

Last edited by rocky69rhodes on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    67supervan

Post by 67supervan Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:28 am

Alcatraz's prices start at $35.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:43 pm

The people I use - recomended above!!!!!!!!!! charge  to remake / punch a key from a code  charge  a  totally Redicilious fee of =   =   $5.00 to make 2 keys .  They told me they even have origional car /van = ect.=locksets  . If u call them & send them ur keys / locksets & tell  them what u want -they can do it all & as theyre an old couple - their prices are NOT LIKE modern day locksmiths!! This couple has forgotten more than  any 10 new locksmiths know!! Id even be open to taking ur sets by there as I pass the shop weekly in my errands. bounce cheers
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:35 am

PM sent Twin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:58 pm