VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Carburetor for original air cleaner?

morbank
    morbank

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Carburetor for original air cleaner? Empty Carburetor for original air cleaner?

Post by morbank Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:58 pm

I picked up this air cleaner on eBay ( http://goo.gl/TT7FLJ ) and it's in great shape but I'm having trouble figuring out how to connect it to my carburetor. I've got a 230ci engine and I was able to mount the air cleaner bracket so that the air cleaner intake lines up nicely with the carburetor opening, but neither my carburetor, nor the silver painted cylinder mount have a center bolt hole so I am unable to tighten the air cleaner down with the bolt and wing nut that came with the air cleaner. The carburetor says "Rochester Monojet" but I don't see any model numbers (see picture links below). So my question is, can I connect this air cleaner to my carburetor, or do I need to find a different one? And if so what kind do I need?

Pic 1 of carburetor:  http://goo.gl/QVW1DZ

Pic 2 of carburetor:  http://goo.gl/1vEEM2
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Carburetor for original air cleaner? Empty Re: Carburetor for original air cleaner?

Post by Digz Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Pretty sure your carb is just missing a part. A bridge that goes over the choke blade that has a threaded center. I thought I had a pick of one but it is misplaced.
    morbank
    morbank

Carburetor for original air cleaner? Empty Re: Carburetor for original air cleaner?

Post by morbank Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:21 pm

That would make sense Digz as there is a little room in-between the air cleaner opening and the silver cylinder that sits on the carburetor. Does the bridge you mention bolt to the carburetor then?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Yes to the top of the carb.
    Sorry for the crappy pic, this is a CarterYF but you can see the cross piece that goes on top . There should be something similar I believe on the Rochester. Somebody should have a parts carb around I'd think.
    Carburetor for original air cleaner? Img_3010
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:23 pm

I see. Yeah, that looks like what I need. Anybody here have a spare of this part, or know where I might find one?
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Looks like it's called a "Stud Bracket". This one looks like it could work: http://goo.gl/qtB3DC
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:17 am

....you can have this one if you PM me with your address,,,,,,

Carburetor for original air cleaner? Dscn5421
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:41 am

Wondering if I'm still missing a part in between the silver cylinder that sits on the carburetor and the bottom hole on the air cleaner?

Picture: http://goo.gl/FvTwFK

The bolt that tightens down with the wing nut seems to have too much space between the threads and the top of the air cleaner:

Picture: http://goo.gl/BTUwyc

Here's what the carburetor stud bracket looks like by itself:

Picture: http://goo.gl/7WnOyt

Anyone know if I'm missing any parts here?

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Once you get the stud bracket in place, you have to bend the main support bracket until you get the air cleaner to sit flush on the riser tube( silver cylinder), just a little tweaking, grab it with a vise grip.  Did it mount squarely on the engine block with the two holes by the coil? One is offset and one shares a bolt with the coil if I recall.  Also, in that one pic, your stud is too long, try to invert the bridge to make it shorter as long as it doesn't interfere with the choke plate or make a new one from threaded rod.  Napa sells a universal rod you cut to length for a few $$.  If you add washers and leave it long, it will hit the doghouse, there isn't much clearance with the stock set up.  If it still doesn't make an air tight seal, get some gasket paper and cut a gasket ring for the top and bottom of the tube.  The originals were probably cork (Carter parts lists show the gaskets so I know they came with them).  Good move getting that stock set up, OK price, I paid $100 for a similar one.  IMO, The stock set up is best for a six because it gives you that snorkel on the cold side of the engine behind the fan, sorta like today's cold air intake setups instead on using a small hot rod air cleaner sucking hot air off the manifold, especially at idle.  NAPA sells a nice element for it under $15.  A note of caution, never run a van without the air cleaner in place with doghouse closed especially if you have the old original fiber insulation.  A backfire can ignite the old dirty insulation, I know, it happened to me 40 years ago!  Make sure its properly tuned/timed to prevent backfire or run on...
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks for all the great info Vantasia!

"Once you get the stud bracket in place, you have to bend the main support bracket until you get the air cleaner to sit flush on the riser tube (silver cylinder), just a little tweaking, grab it with a vise grip."  

Ok, will do.

"Did it mount squarely on the engine block with the two holes by the coil? One is offset and one shares a bolt with the coil if I recall."  

Yes it's sitting nice.

"Also, in that one pic, your stud is too long, try to invert the bridge to make it shorter as long as it doesn't interfere with the choke plate or make a new one from threaded rod.  Napa sells a universal rod you cut to length for a few $$".  

That's the stud that came with the air cleaner in the eBay auction. The seller said it was original but like you said, it's way too long. As it is the bracket just clears the choke plate so I don't think inverting it will work. I'll try the universal rod from Napa.

"If you add washers and leave it long, it will hit the doghouse, there isn't much clearance with the stock set up."  

Right.

"If it still doesn't make an air tight seal, get some gasket paper and cut a gasket ring for the top and bottom of the tube.  The originals were probably cork (Carter parts lists show the gaskets so I know they came with them)."  

Will do, thanks.

"Good move getting that stock set up, OK price, I paid $100 for a similar one.  IMO, The stock set up is best for a six because it gives you that snorkel on the cold side of the engine behind the fan, sorta like today's cold air intake setups instead on using a small hot rod air cleaner sucking hot air off the manifold, especially at idle."  

Agreed.

"NAPA sells a nice element for it under $15."  

Sorry, element for what?

"A note of caution, never run a van without the air cleaner in place with doghouse closed especially if you have the old original fiber insulation.  A backfire can ignite the old dirty insulation, I know, it happened to me 40 years ago!  Make sure its properly tuned/timed to prevent backfire or run on..."

The previous owner tore out the fiber insulation, probably for this exact reason! I do get the occasional backfire if I don't let the van warm up long enough. My choke was disabled so I thought that might be the reason for the backfires... But thats a topic for another post.

Also, the filter that came with the air cleaner looks quite old, can you recommend a modern  replacement filter?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Yes, NAPA sells a new clean paper filter element for that air cleaner, they still list it! It was a Napa Gold series.  The Help section at pepboys has an extra long replacement choke cable you cut to length, its like 78" but you only need about 54".  There should be a series of clips under the body leading from the choke hole in the doghouse to the carb side of the engine house to hold the cable in place, they are probably still there.  You have to drop the belly pan and get of you back to install the cable, assuming your carb has a manual choke set up? do you have auto tranny? they usually had automatic chokes that worked off a coil spring on the manifold....that long rod might be for the bracket side? and they are switched, the short rod goes in the carb?  but the Napa one can be cut to length and works fine.  For insul, Jegs sells a nice foil faced jute heat material that you put on with spray adhesive and seal the edges with HVAC foil tape, the high heat kind.  There is other thinner stick on for the sides of the doghouse, look on eBay for under hood insulation sheets...here's a pic of my air cleaner and engine bay were you can see the hood insul and gasket seal, its called 'D' seal, also cheap on eBay
    You can see the paper gasket at the riser tube there is one on the top too, the paper is at any auto store, cuts with xacto knife.
    Carburetor for original air cleaner? Gedc0613
    BTW, that's a Holley carb that has the rod on a ring clamp instead of the bridge that screws into the carb, looks gold in the pic, just the way they made them....
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:57 am

Again, really great info Vantasia!

If I recall the choke cable is still there and was just disconnected. The original engine in my van died and the previous owner replaced it with an 8k 230ci from an Impala and I guess he never got around to reconnecting the choke. Or maybe he tried and it wasn't working. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I've got manual trans.

The rod on the bracket side is one long piece on my air cleaner set (see pic): http://goo.gl/3wZGGX

I am actually able to close my doghouse without the rod touching anything. Seems like I have about 1 1/2" of clearance so maybe it is the right rod after all? I ended up just using a large nut underneath the wing nut. Seems to be working for now...

Do you have a preference for what kind of insulation to use?

Paper gasket sounds like a good way to go. Do you know if they make something similar for exterior lenses? I'm looking for that black dense foam stuff, does it have a name?

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted with my progress.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Impala engine likely has the automatic choke.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm