BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

mill supply rocker panel ?

Jeremy Wynn

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-06-30

mill supply rocker panel ?

Post by Jeremy Wynn on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:42 pm

ordered the replacement rocker for my 69 G10 from Mill ASupply, I have worked in body shops for 15 years and I must say I'm a little disappointed in this piece, the body line is almost non existent and the lip on the very bottom of the rocker looks nothing like the original.... I'm not overly picky and can make this work out ok but considering I paid $70 plus shipping I'm just not real happy..... Anyone else use this repro rocker and understand what I'm talking about? I believe I could have done just as good a job bending a flat sheet myself...... I have installed a lot of aftermarket metal over the years and can't say any of it was perfect........ can't see shipping it back so I will make it work.
vanny

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Re: mill supply rocker panel ?

Post by vanny on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:34 pm

I know others have talked about this before. The company can't justify the cost of creating new molds (not enough demand) so they still use the originals and quality is not great after all these years.

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm

I bought two of these from mill supply, one was a buy it now for 65. And the other was
A make offer, I put down a 5.00 offer, didn't think I'd win it but I did, ever since his price
has been that high, like others I'm not impressed with the lines, but I can make it work.
Digz

Number of posts : 3720
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:09 pm

I ran into the same thing and had to tweak some stuff. To me they seemed over-sized as if to go over top of what may be left instead of actually replacing it. I think I can remember working that less than crisp body line with a tube and hammer.
vanner68

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:20 pm

I just roll my own....
Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Seems like everyone has the same opinion as me, guess the demand isn't high enough to warrant making a better quality product. I wish I would have just made my own, live and learn I guess.... I'l do a little massaging and make it work... Thanks for the replies everyone!
diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 pm

i'm sorry I suggested them to you. I had no idea that they were poor quality. I hope they work out for you still. maybe I will bend my own up for the spare van.
Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:54 am

diamond dave wrote:i'm sorry I suggested them to you. I had no idea that they were poor quality. I hope they work out for you still. maybe I will bend my own up for the spare van.

Not a problem Dave, I bet they are the only one making this and if anyone else sells it it's the same product. It will all work out fine, I'm not looking for a show van, just want a really nice driver.
Bear

Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:52 pm

there is still some oem sheet metal out there too be found or find a west cost doner post some pics` of what you need member 108 vanguy is shipping a bunch of west coast body parts east within the next month ask him if he has any thing you could need
Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Bear wrote:there is still some oem sheet metal out there too be found or find a west cost doner post some pics` of what you need member 108 vanguy is shipping a bunch of west coast body parts east within the next month ask him if he has any thing you could need

Thanks Bear
mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 am

got decent "die-stamped" panels from Surplus Supply Co. in Akron, OH about 10 years ago..?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:44 pm