BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

original seats

chasgas

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-05

original seats

Post by chasgas on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 am

i searched the sites archives and found little on the original chevy seats... the 66 truck shop manual shows the springs going from back to front but very little else...

i'm looking to keep the "original" (i believe) seats in my 66 g10... the van was a school bus and apparently the driver wore out the springs in the drivers seat which was replaced with a board (speculation based on zero bounce!)... not bad around town but gets tough on lengthy trips...

does anyone have a breakdown of the drivers seat? would like to know what i'm up against before delving in...

any thoughts on replacement spring? possible pick-n-pull seat spring options? maybe the springs from an old chair could be fashioned to fit?.. i've never worked on a truck seat but intend on doing this for myself...

appreciate any input............

chasgas

on another note: just re-pinned the drivers door with the napa chrysler pin kit... clamped the hinge to my metal bench, applied heat and went through 4 bolts (they eventually bend) beating it apart... drilled out the bushing and pin holes with a hand held rechargeable drill... easy... after fitting the bushings, the pin wouldn't slide through so i took a threading tool with the pin size drill (.266) and "reamed" the opening as gently as possible... put a bit more chamfer on the pin and drove it home... i used duct tape to prevent the hinge bolt from dropping down the pillar (just in case)...door works great... best $5 investment yet!!!

thanks so much.............................................

Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Re: original seats

Post by Twinpilot001 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:44 pm

I have a pair of 1966 chev g-10 seats (front) that need total recovering. They have no mounts under then though (adjusters). The actual springs that are in the seats are still available from some big upholstery wholesale shops, too.
Joe Van
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I have a 1966 GMC and just changed my Factory Front Seats to Buckets.. The one on the right is the Stock one.... Hope this helps..

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-05

Post by chasgas on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 pm

thanks, the pic shows two different spring types for the same seat... merely speculating here but the length of the spring seems to be the most important factor that i should consider along with the gauge of the wire... cutting and bending to size "seems" possible...

saw this thread on vintage chevy van:
"Front Gen 1 Seats" by campervanman...

one step closer to a smooth(er) ride..........................

chasgas

i'll take a few pics as i progress through this process and post the results... i've found very little info regarding the restoration of our original van seats... not a purist but i like the originals...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:53 am