VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Leaky gas tank?

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Leaky gas tank? Empty Leaky gas tank?

Post by veefre Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:21 pm

The other day I noticed more of a raw gas aroma than usual around the rear hindquarters of the '67 Chevy Van 108. Now, the gas cap seems to seep a little, esp when the tank is full and I whip it around corners. But this was stronger, and there was no sign of leaking gas below the filler tube (I had previously washed off the old gas tracks).

So... finally, I got under the thing and noticed fresh gas had trickled down from the top of the tank and was collecting underneath. Not enough to drip and wet the pavement, but enough to detect by odor.

Now, a little background. About four years ago I pulled the gas tank to inspect it, empty out any debris, and renew the hoses etc. Which I did. At that point I noticed the big round fitting on the top, than holds the gas gauge sensor and fuel line (I think) was kinda loose. But I couldn't see any way to tighten it and I made a mental note to follow it in case it started leaking. Well, sure enough, it's definitely leaking now. It seems to happen more with a full tank, which indicates to me it's the top fitting that is the problem.

Not having pulled the top fitting, I don't rightly now if it's a defective gasket or some other problem, like just being loose. Since it's an older vehicle I'm thinking the gasket is probably shot. I am prepared to cut a new gasket, but the question is where to get the material for that? I figure neoprene (not nitrile) rubber is the minimum required, as it needs something to withstand modern gasoline. In the past when MTBE was being added to California gas, I understand a lot of old rubber parts in fuel systems rotted away. I have a '78 pickup that had that disease, had to replace every bit of rubber in the fuel system. But I never did see that level of rubber rot on this van, although as I said I replaced all the tubing I could without pulling the fitting on top of the tank.

Any suggestions? Any places I can get some neoprene rubber? I figure I just need about a square foot, maybe 1/8" thick. I'll know more when I jack up the van and drop the tank again.... either this afternoon or tomorrow morning...

I do have some odd pieces of rubber knocking around here, including a piece of red ... which might work. Might have to soak some samples in some gasoline overnight to be sure...

Will also call a few auto parts places.... but most of them only know enough to ask "What year, make, and model?" which of course is a non-starter usually for this van. Most parts houses don't even list the '67 as having a V8 motor...
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Leaky gas tank? Empty Re: Leaky gas tank?

Post by Joe Van Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I had the Exact same issue 2 weeks ago.. I made a New Cork Gasket and Bent the Tabs up a little on the Hold Down Ring for a tighter Seal...The Ethanol got mine..!!!..                                                                                        Leaky gas tank? 105_1059Leaky gas tank? 105_1060 I was told by the local Auto Parts Store the Factory One was Made out of Cork..!!!..

Last edited by Joe Van on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 pm

what kind of tank do you have,,,,,,seems to me a real tank has a locking cam and an o ring to hold the sending unit in,,,,,,

Leaky gas tank? Tank_o10
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 pm

I See Now the 2ND Gen's have the Rubber Ring...

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:42 pm

I am pretty sure the pick ups and 1st and 2nd Gens take that same O Ring,,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Donny,

Thanks a million! Those parts look like what I saw on top of the tank a few years ago. I'll probably order a couple sets of gaskets, a new sending unit, and the tool. I'd like to put this potentially hazardous leaky condition to bed.

Now.... where can I find a good gas cap that doesn't allow gas to seep out on cornering? The one that came with the van has a cracked gasket. I ordered one for a vintage Chevy truck from a truck parts website (don't remember the name) but it really doesn't seal any better. Both are kinda loose.

Will check the trucksandcars.com catalog online as well...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Well you might not find a sending unit,,,you don't really need the tool,,,,,,just tap the tabs with a hammer and screwdriver about an inch and it comes right off,,,,,I just bought a locking vented gas cap for my van,,,,,Ebay, Amazon,,,,,I don't like the plastic ones,,,,,,,AND,,,,,,buy 3 of those O rings and send me and Joe one to show your appreciation,,,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Found some possible gas caps at the web site above. Although the stainless one looks a lot like the one that I already tried and found a bit wanting. It's possible the filler tube is pooched on my van... not enough purchase on the lock tabs... I already had to gently (brass hammer) re-face the thing because it was obviously bent a bit off square. Probably due to someone losing the key for a locking gas cap (one of which came with the van) and prying the cap off. I'm guessing, of course. If I have to I'll replace the filler tube.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:09 pm

LOL, Donny. I though you had a '66 which takes a gasket and not an o-ring? Let me know. I was going to order one of each just in case 'cause you never know who was picking out of what parts bin on the Chevy assembly line...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm

That catalog is for pick ups,,,,,,,All vans have the rubber O ring,,,,,any cork gasket you see with screw holes is for an aftermarket sending unit,,,,,,now I surely like buying a universal sending unit and bolting the guts and float onto our vans pick up tube to make our fuel gauges work,,,,,,,some people want $250 for a sending unit,,,,,,,

Leaky gas tank? Lockca11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:30 pm

The locking cap don't turn, so all it needs is two spots to snap onto,,,,,you can braze or weld some tabs in the filler neck if the cap does not snap on tight enough,,,,,you may of just gotten the wrong cap,,,but a filler neck is surely fixable.....

Leaky gas tank? Dscn5037
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:42 pm

,,,the REAL cap just needs about 1/8" of tab to lock in place,,,,look at your cap,,,,do you have about 1/8" between the gasket and lock tab?

Leaky gas tank? Dscn5038
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Leaky gas tank? Dscn5039
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:54 pm

,,,,sure am earning that $1 o ring,,,,
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Don I did question the parts guy on the cork gasket because it looked like there should have been a Rubber O ring there instead the way it is seated in the hole like today's Modern Tanks.. He said the cork one had holes in it so that's why I made a gasket myself with no holes.. The way he explained it it sounded like a seal for a fuel cell and seeing the picture it sure does look like it.....I will put a Rubber O Ring There instead when I install my Stainless Straps..Thanks..

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Hey,,,,we are the only people that know what our vans are all about,,,,,you cant trust anybody,,,especially if they try looking up our parts on a computer,,,,,,but we take care of each other here,,,,,,wait for your free O ring from San Francisco.......
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Well, the gas tank work will have to wait until I get in the right gaskets etc. Just as well, I'm off on a Road Trip tomorrow to help a friend pickup a very special '64 Ford Ranchero... huge motor... apparently a bit scary to drive aggressively... and it's for his WIFE... LOL...

Will have to put off calling trucksandcars until afternoon... or while I'm on the road...

PS-It's San Leandro, not San Francisco ;-)

I'm wondering why the sending unit 67-10715 for $27.00 wouldn't work on our vans...

BTW, just checked the locking gas cap that came with the van. It's actually nice unit, smooth faced, chrome plated (or stainless, not sure). It has the proper 1/8" gap. The other one has more like a 3/16" or 1/4" gap - so there's the problem. The reason why I haven't been using the locking cap was because there was only one key... I guess I could get a few copies made... LOL... Never mind. It's a "CK", but no other info such as part number.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 pm

I guess San Francisco, San Leandro and Oakland mean something different to you people that live up there,,,,That sending unit is for a tank that sits behind the drivers seat,,,,but I would get a  90 ohm 67-107123 and use the guts off it for a 2nd Gen.....

Leaky gas tank? Repair25

Leaky gas tank? Univ_s10
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 pm

donivan65 wrote:
    I guess San Francisco, San Leandro and Oakland mean something different to you people that live up there,,,,

Now, I don't imagine you'd like to be referred to as Little Old Donnie from Pasadena, would you?  Laughing 

That sending unit is for a tank that sits behind the drivers seat,,,,but I would get a  90 ohm 67-107123 and use the guts off it for a 2nd Gen.....

Sounds like good advice. I may hold off on the sending unit until I tear the current one down. It's working, mostly.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:23 pm

,,,I wouldn't mind a brand new shiny red, super stock Dodge in my rickety old garage....
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Here's some photos... I think he said it has a Mustang Boss 302 motor...

Leaky gas tank? 10418814

Leaky gas tank? 10511210
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:36 am

Folks I've had the same problem with leaking gas from my locking gas cap. been through 2 filler tubes and several caps. what was the part and number and dimensions for the locking cap that works for sec. gens?!??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 am

The filler necks should be the same,,,,,,,biggest problem is wrong cap,,,,,,you got to have a flat surface on the top for the gasket to seal,,,,,,you need ears that go down about 3/16" down inside the tube so the tabs on the gas cap  can grab and tightly  hold the cap down,,,,,,,does your filler neck look like the one in my picture,,,,,,a tapered ramp inside that slowly pulls the cap down as you turn it ,,,,those are the STANT part numbers for the stock twist on and locking push on gas caps........since venting gas into the atmosphere is against the law,  all caps are not vented now,,,,,we need a vented cap,,,,,I even see some of those so called other brand vented caps are not really vented and we drill a small hole in them to let all the built up pressure slowly escape .
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:21 pm

mikeysly wrote:Folks I've had the same problem with leaking gas from my locking gas cap. been through 2 filler tubes and several caps. what was the part and number and dimensions for the locking cap that works for sec. gens?!??

Donny just posted a photo of Stant 11491 locking gas cap. From his description it's the same cap that will work on 2nd gens. I can't give you a part number for the CK locking cap I have because it doesn't have one on it, and someone else got it long ago.

veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Yeah, the filler tube looks like yours. What I've been doing is to back out the plain cap a little bit so that it engages the hump on the ramp, and that seems to seal better. Now I've put the CK locking cap back on, and it *should* seal better, as it has the requisite 1/8" clearance. The only issue there is that the rubber boot on it is a little smaller than the filler tube OD. I seem to recall it seeped some gas too, but I've ordered two more gas caps, one locking, one plain, from T&C, so we'll see. As I recall when I tried the CK locking cap, that was before I had squared off the end of the filler tube to seal better, so it might work OK now. I'll know more once I fix the sending unit gasket situation and can fill up the tank again. Right now it's got only a couple gallons in it for easier servicing when I pull it.

I have a receipt in the file that came with the van for another Stant gas cap, http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Stant-11646-Fuel-Tank-Cap-/76852113. But it's pretty ugly, obviously intended for a filler tube that doesn't show on the outside. And that cap wasn't with the van when I bought the van, so it may not have worked or it may have gotten lost.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm