VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

1967 Ford Econo Supervan 240 Buckin and back firing

Blue Lightning
    Blue Lightning

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2013-05-30

1967 Ford Econo Supervan 240 Buckin and back firing Empty 1967 Ford Econo Supervan 240 Buckin and back firing

Post by Blue Lightning Sat May 31, 2014 12:01 am

Hey Guys.  Looking for the obvious I guess.  

Van was running great.  Doing about 55 on the hwy for 20 min.  Starts buckin like it's not getting fuel.  Ends up stalling on the side of the hwy.  I give it a few minutes then fire it up.  It runs like normal for about 5 min then starts bucking again followed by some serious back firing.  The bucking and back fire is intermittent at various speeds.  I limp the poor thing home.  I'll try to trouble shoot the easy stuff, but unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to be working this issue out.  Just curious as to where my friends at the shop will start.    

Thanks for the help.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

1967 Ford Econo Supervan 240 Buckin and back firing Empty Re: 1967 Ford Econo Supervan 240 Buckin and back firing

Post by Seth G Sat May 31, 2014 9:01 am

I wonder if the float/needle valve in carb is sticking, fuel filter condition, fuel pump. The fact that it seemed to run normal again for a period when you fired it back up would seem to indicate it's not in the timing gears or valve train to me but I'm certainly no expert on the subject. Could be an issue with the ignition system, bad coil or module, I'd verify spark on all cylinders when it's displaying the problem. Is the van a manual or Automatic transmission, if auto, does it only happen when in gear?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1967 Ford Econo Supervan 240 Buckin and back firing Empty Re: 1967 Ford Econo Supervan 240 Buckin and back firing

Post by donivan65 Sat May 31, 2014 1:29 pm

,,,you could put a clear piece of fuel line or a clear plastic fuel filter temporarily between the fuel pump and carburetor to see if fuel is getting through,,,,,,is that a Loadamatic distributor,,,,,,,run the engine with the distributor advance unhooked,,,see if problem goes away..... are the points adjusted,,,,,,,,do you have a dwellmeter to see what the points are doing when all the drama starts?
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sat May 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Id certainly review the points, the condensor, the button inside the distributor cap, the rotor, the coil wire, maybe replacing all that stuff....sometimes the coil can break down internally when it gets hot and its hard to test, may have to put another on and run it again, I know you hate to shotgun parts at it but intermittent problems are really hard to diagnose..backfiring is usually caused by something firing/not firing at the wrong time.

Also the wire between the distributor and the coil on mine is laying, rubbing on the block, could have a wire shorting to ground?

Im skeptical about fuel issues unless the sock in the tank might have gotten plugged up? I dont think the fuel filter would act like that but then again they are cheap too...If the sock in the tank is plugged up I have temporarily relieved that by blowing air pressure back down the fuel line to clear the debris but obviously its gonna still be in the tank and you would have to drop the tank and clean it if that were the problem.

Any recent maintenance performed leading up to this? Just trying to rule out the easy stuff.
    Blue Lightning
    Blue Lightning

Post by Blue Lightning Sat May 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks very much guys.  I'll be getting some help with this in the next couple days.  I'll consider all of your suggestions.
    Blue Lightning
    Blue Lightning

Post by Blue Lightning Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Mechanic told me that the Flux Capacitor was faulty.  Found myself on top of a clock tower waiting for Marty to get the Delorean up to 88 mph.  

Just kiddin...weak / inconsistent spark re: points / condenser.  Sounds like it fried the coil.  New coil and electronic conversion kit = fun summer with the family.  Runnin great.  

Thanks guys for the help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 am