VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
Das Boot
66ThunderVan
vanny
FCC
jimthefred
Army of Six
RF Man
Seth G
FancyFlush
13 posters

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3?

FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2014-05-21

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? Empty Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3?

Post by FancyFlush Wed May 21, 2014 10:29 am

I'd like to ask those who own both an econoline and a ford ranger from 2001+ to chime in here...

I think it would be a great idea to drop in those newer duratec 4 cylinders from the last ford ranger.  Those engines apparently are very reliable and fuel efficient.  Best of all it's a power upgrade from the original econoline engines.

So for those who are interested...

You'd get more...
    Power (150hp)
    Fuel Economy
    Weight Savings
    5 Speed Auto
    Accessories like AC, Power Steering (Now you can run a brake booster)
    Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? DSCN1945
    The Duratech is a 2.3l All Aluminum fuel injected engine found in the Ford Focus & Ranger from the 2000's era, the Focus is FWD and started out as a 2.0l, the engines have a decent aftermarket, and you can even buy 300hp crate engines if you have the $$$.  

To modify you'd need new motor mounts, new trans mount, new driveline, adapting the auto box or mount a new gear selector, wiring for electrical components, electric fans.

You might need a way to convert some of the sensor signals and perhaps the speedo if it's electronic.  

In the end you'll have a better balanced van, better fuel economy (20's to 30's) and 50% more power than the stock engine.

And if you don't think an econoline can handle a 4 banger think again, the ranger weighs atleast 3400lb, light by today's standards but the Econoline weighs 2800lb
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? Empty Re: Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3?

Post by Seth G Wed May 21, 2014 12:05 pm

I love the idea. If you do this I hope you chronicle the swap. I've thought the ecoboost 2.0 will be a great option once rwd versions are available in junkers. This looks like a good option now. Big hurdles will the the whole ecm thing for the motor and the transmission. Did your donor have auto?
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? Empty Re: Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3?

Post by RF Man Wed May 21, 2014 4:03 pm

This sounds like an interesting idea. There would be some weight advantages and there seems to be some speed parts available also. The concern I always have when switching an older vehicle over to a completely fuel injected,electronically controlled driveline, is the actual amount of work and fabrication that it takes pull something like this off. Since our econo's are not mainstream vehicles, all mounts and adapters would have to be fabricated. The engine,transmission, wiring harness, and ecm out of a late model Ranger could get kinda pricey. Although having fuel injection and a 5 speed automatic would be nice. I'd be interested in seeing someone pull this off.
    Mike
    FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Post by FancyFlush Wed May 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Though it may look complicated compared to a econo engine, as long as you keep the harness intact you'll find that all you gotta do is locate a dozen wires or so. they make crate duratec engines for old cars already if you dont have the money getting a wrecked ranger shouldnt be too hard
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Thu May 22, 2014 8:48 pm

cool idea!

dont forget you will have to upgrade your gas tank with a sump of some kind. fuel injected motors need a CONSTANT supply of fuel. if you are running low on gas and accelerate and the pick up sucks up air because of the fuel sloshing around your fuel injected motor will stumble and or die. (learned that the hard way) wiring and fabrication wouldnt be too hard.
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Fri May 23, 2014 7:51 am

I thought about using a 2.3 out of a Turbo coupe in mine but I would do the Eco Boost over it any  Cool day!!!!
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Fri May 23, 2014 7:56 am

I think its a very attractive idea.  Even some sort of small diesel would be brilliant.   Considering the simplicity of the van layout, getting everything where it needs to go would be rather easy and clean.  I think this will be my long term goal, no matter which van I have when I get to that point.

But then, I really have a love/hate relationship with all the things around modern engines.  I'm SO a carb guy.

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? A817443B-AF57-4F81-A44F-687851A7CFE7

Last edited by FCC on Fri May 23, 2014 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Fri May 23, 2014 8:24 am

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 9:34 am

i think its a great idea. If one could be had for dirt cheap...I'd be game!
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Post by jimthefred Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 am

Ive got an 05 V6 4.0 Mustang with the 5 speed automatic Im getting ready to swap out. I wonder how hard it would be to swap that in? Idea 
    FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Post by FancyFlush Fri May 23, 2014 11:02 am

jimthefred wrote:I thought about using a 2.3 out of a Turbo coupe in mine but I would do the Eco Boost over it any  Cool day!!!!

That's been done before, with pix I can't seem to find the webpage though, unfortunately it's a bit harder because the turbo emits alot of heat and the doghouse is a confined spot, the guy had to punch out the dog house on the turbo side to accommodate it, perhaps if he made a custom manifold it would be easier??? Believe it or not, older EFI engines are harder to swap sometimes because the layout of the wiring in the engine bay is confusing to not having resources like tech diagrams to do the swap...

If we're not going to stick with ford's 4 banger, than GM has several 4 cyl crate motors and they're pretty cheap. There's also the option of an Isuzu Diesel conversion like the 3.9l etc.

The diesel conversion would be decently easy as no ECM needed however, they're heavy, and make lots of noise, I doubt you'd be able to rid the inside of the rattle. There's also Toyota motors like that in the Tacoma which should work as well.

We need to get the size of the Duratec 2.3 (it was designed by Mazda btw) or any other swap potential.... The part that worries me is the width of the 4 Cyl, is it going to fit? I also have a slight concern with height as the newer engines are higher to accommodate cams etc.
    FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Post by FancyFlush Fri May 23, 2014 11:04 am

jimthefred wrote:Ive got an 05 V6 4.0 Mustang with the 5 speed automatic Im getting ready to swap out. I wonder how hard it would be to swap that in? Idea 

Wonder how wide the V6 is, same as the 289 v8?
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Post by jimthefred Fri May 23, 2014 11:48 am

FancyFlush wrote:
    jimthefred wrote:Ive got an 05 V6 4.0 Mustang with the 5 speed automatic Im getting ready to swap out. I wonder how hard it would be to swap that in? Idea 

Wonder how wide the V6 is, same as the 289 v8?

Its about the same or maybe a bit narrower
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Fri May 23, 2014 12:41 pm

The 2.3 is 26" wide X 25.5 long X 26 tall... looks to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmCZJrqrE00

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? M6007D23_a

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? Duratecdimensions
    FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Post by FancyFlush Fri May 23, 2014 1:05 pm

How wide is the doghouse?
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Fri May 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm too new at this to know it off the top of my head..
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri May 23, 2014 1:36 pm

The doghouse in my 66 Econo is approximately 21 inches wide by 41 inches long at the floor and a little bit narrower at the top of the doghouse.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Fri May 23, 2014 3:08 pm

that diagram is of the FWD engine as well. the photo is the truck motor. It may be narrower.
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:10 pm

66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:08 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Post by FancyFlush Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:20 pm

FCC wrote:that diagram is of the FWD engine as well.  the photo is the truck motor.  It may be narrower.

Good point, I looked at a ranger but didnt have a tape measure it looked like it would fit.

There's also GM crate motors, those atlas 5 cyl go dirt cheap. I just want to keep it in the family.
    FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Post by FancyFlush Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 am

I got my van, a 63 econoline window van.  The engine is a 200ci from a mustang but it's not hooked up so I'm thinking about swapping it out for an "ecotec".  It's a GM engine that they use alot in sandrails, there's tons of adapters for them and tons of cars that use them from cobalt's to the sky roadster and the transverse mount engines are identical to the longitudinal version.  They make adapters to use gm automatics to the c4 ford automatic which is apparently more desirable as the c4 bell housing unbolts from the tranny and uses a smaller torque converter.

I was thinking 2.0-2.4l non turbo (turbo might be too hot for the engine bay), they develop 145-200hp depending on your flavor.   They are crazy easy engines to install, you can get a harness that has just the basics leaving you with only 4 connectors to plug into the body.

There might be an issue with the width, the intake manifold is like the duratec and sticks out a bit, there are aftermarket intakes for this that I have yet to investigate, also the engine might be shorter than what's normally in the van so it might sit low enough to clear.  

Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? 01313_11Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? Img_0310
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm glad you are still into this. Looking forward to see what you come up with, although putting a gm engine in there............. Wink
    FancyFlush
    FancyFlush

Post by FancyFlush Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Seth G wrote:I'm glad you are still into this. Looking forward to see what you come up with, although putting a gm engine in there............. Wink

Hey if ford made a cheap 4 banger with lots of power and aftermarket I'd be all over it, unfortunately that's not the case Sad

I did some more research and found that the width is 25in and the dog house is 20in wide, The height however is also 25in so it's actually slightly less high than a 289 with air cleaner, might be possible to set it low enough so that it would only need to be widened under the lid.
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:29 am

I always wanted to put a Cummins B3.3 / 99hp in my truck, but I couldn't get the salesmen or reps to help me out on the price.  I went back to the engine room to take a picture to post , but the one's we have are sealed in plastic.  So for fun, I took a picture of this QSX15 sitting back there.  I'm not sure if it could be put in an Econoline, but it definitely would be a conversation piece if someone could.
    Someone needs to swap in a 4 banger Duratec 2.3? Imag1011

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:01 am