VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Adjusting door hinges

GiraffeSquad
    GiraffeSquad

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2014-04-09

Adjusting door hinges Empty Adjusting door hinges

Post by GiraffeSquad Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:53 am

So what started off as what I thought was going to be a simple task has now become quite hard. I have a 69 chevy G10 project and like I said I'm having the hardest time adjusting the passenger door to close smooth. When I got the van both the doors hung just a bit low so when you close them they jumped up into the latch. Iv gotten the driver side one pretty close but still not perfect and the passenger one seems almost impossible. Iv searched the forum and couldn't find any info on this so I was wondering if anyone had and tips/tricks or advice.
    Anythings appreciated.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Adjusting door hinges Empty Re: Adjusting door hinges

Post by Joe Van Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 am

WELCOME to VV..!!!.. cheers ..The PO on mine was about 6 ft-3 and would lean on the Drivers Door getting in and out I used a couple of Gm Alignment shims 1/16 on the upper hinge in the windshield post part and that solved the problem the are not easy to adjust at all... Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:33 am

Are the hinge bushings worn out? Is the metal cracked around the hinges on the door?
    GiraffeSquad
    GiraffeSquad

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2014-04-09

Post by GiraffeSquad Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks Joe Van Il look into the shims, any pictures of yours?

Donivan, I don't know exactly what your referring to as the hinge bushings, the rubber that surrounds where the hinge enters the body of the van and door are definitely in need of replacement (any one know where to get something like that?) As well as I noticed some of the hinge pins were replaced with bolts. Im going to try to replace those with proper diameter pins. No cracking anywhere as far as I can see.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:45 pm

I think those hinges are done for if someone drilled out the bushings and put bolts in there,,,,,so to check if the hinges are the problem,,,,,open the door about 6 inches,,,see if the door moves up as you lift up on the outside handle,,,,,,if you say the latch seems to hit when you close the door, see if the problem is because the door is sagging in the back,,,,or now the striker needs to be adjusted after they put the bolts in,,,,,you need to see what you got.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm

this is what we use ,,,IF,,,,,the stock hinge pins and bushings were still in the hinges,,,,,

Adjusting door hinges Hinge_13

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm