VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Tail light housing question

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Tail light housing question Empty Tail light housing question

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Where do I find the tail light housing for 1st Gen?  Previous owner used lamp cord which was soldered (no surpise) to the actual light bulbs.  It appears he was missing the part that the bulb snaps into to make a connection and just short cutted it instead of getting the part.

I can't get the photo hosting to work at the moment.

panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Tail light housing question Empty Re: Tail light housing question

Post by panelmanrd Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 pm

I have used a replacement socket that snaps into the hole left after removing the
    Original light socket from the housing, was able to use the stock housings. Wished I had
    Pics.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Tail light housing question Tl10
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 am

Lazarus, I have a spare one of these if you want it. PM me.

I think this is such an odd type of socket. Anyone know if other GM vehicles used these?

When you've got it apart like in Don's photo, it's just a hollow cylinder, with the same two light bulb slots on both ends. The plastic terminal inserts into the cylinder the same way that the bulb inserts into the opposite end. I bet you could turn the housing around and it could be assemble it backwards.

The front turn signals are made this way too. FYI, Brothers' reproduction front signals do not have this type of connector. Theirs has a 1.5' cable permanently attached to the housing, with the more commonly-used Packard connector. This requires you to cut the old connector off your existing harness and do some splicing under the van. I found a source online that sells new Packard terminals and connectors and crimped that onto my harness so the new lights could still be removed for servicing rather than permanently splicing the wires together.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am