VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Fat fender mods

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Fat fender mods Empty Fat fender mods

Post by sasktrini Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 am

Here's a set of wheels and tires I tried on my 64:

Fat fender mods 3bcb_20

Fat fender mods 3055944_29_full

The tires on the rear wheels are P245/6014 and the front ones are P205/70R14. The rears came out much to close to the original outer fender lip. The guy is asking $400... a good price only one flaw one one rim. After originally deciding against these rims, I'm thinking that while I have rust repair to do, why not flare the fenders out a little?

I'm more comfortable rebuilding existing shapes and sizes, but am not sure how to redesign the fenders and wheelwells. Anyone been down this road before that can pass some wisdom to me specific with these Fords?

Thanx,

Last edited by sasktrini on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added asking price)

Fat fender mods Empty Re: Fat fender mods

Post by Guest Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm running torque thrust wheels 15x6 fronts with 205/60/15 and 15x7 rears with 235/60/15. I'm having no clearance problems and they tuck nicely. The wheels you have may be 8 inch wide and that's pushing it. Make sure to measure your back space.

Fat fender mods Wheel

Fat fender mods Empty RE: Fender Mods

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

Spine,
    I read that you have 15x7 in the rear and 15x6 in front. Will 14x7 fit in the front or will there be clearence issues. I just bought some smoothie rims and all (4) are 14x7.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:09 pm

looks good 400 bucks rims&tires sounds good hope it works out.busy summer missed u hope u got your baby home.was looking around saw u might get the fargo only in flatlander can see a great deal from so far away.haha!! go riders
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:37 pm

I missed ya, bragg! This thread, too... I kinda dropped the ball here. I did close the deal on the rims and tires for $300, but I still owe some... my econo gave me grief all summer, and I plan to trailer it back next weekend. The deal on the tires are they are cracked, so he cut me some slack. The rims are Keystone Klassics, but I haven't seen any other pics with the tri-spike centrecap. That's what's on yours, huh? Tire sizes are odd, and will be special order, but I'm looking forward to it! Just gotta get it home and start the project! Bumpin out the rear fenders is on the list with the body repairs coming! Cheers! (Oh... I see ya! Laughing )

Post by Guest Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:07 pm

I have 17x8 on the rear and 16x7 on the front of my 66 Econo and 15x10 on the rear with 15x8 on the front of my 65 Econo. I have N-50 15s on the rear and G-60 15s on the front of the 65. No clearance issues on either van but I did rearch the springs on all four corners of both vans and added 3" blocks to the rear of the 65.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Read an article in a 4x4 mag a few years ago that talked about using a bottle jack between 2 pieces of wood to spread the load and flairing the fender wells that way. The article talked about cutting the wheelwells in order to let it spread out more then welding in pieces of metal to hold it out, I was conserned about integrety of the unibody so I didn't cut anything. I just used the jack and 2x4s to spread mine out and gained about 3/4 of an inch cause I was being on the cautious side. It wasn't much but it got me the bit of clearance I needed cause I'm using a jeep rearend and my offset requirements are different than a stock rearend.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 am