VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
vanner68
Twinpilot001
kookykrispy
donivan65
Digz
pan58head
Nightmoves
Joe Van
m1dadio
wideload
slowrider
15 posters

Is there a replacement heater core avalable?

slowrider
    slowrider

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-07-15

Is there a replacement heater core avalable? Empty Is there a replacement heater core avalable?

Post by slowrider Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:13 pm

I got my heater core pulled out of my 65 van today and its different from the one i was shown at napa.If i cant get the original one repaired does any one know of a replacment available?Thanks, Ron.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Is there a replacement heater core avalable? Empty Re: Is there a replacement heater core avalable?

Post by wideload Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:08 pm

This one is supposed to be a direct replacement. Advance Auto Part No. 398237

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toughone-or-ready-aire-heater-core-398237/20820003-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=398237&showTitle=

I haven't tried it but the info came from Kookykrispy another member here.

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Is there a replacement heater core avalable? Empty Re: Is there a replacement heater core avalable?

Post by m1dadio Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm

KK sent me one of those. It fit almost perfect, had to tweak one tube a bit and add a little extra seal material in the box at one end. Works perfect.

M1D
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:29 am

I will 3rd that the one from Advanced Auto was a direct fit except for the little tweaking of the one tube...Is there a replacement heater core avalable? 105_0217
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:33 am

Is there a replacement heater core avalable? <a href=Is there a replacement heater core avalable? GEDC0109_zpsb5a570f3" />The tubes on the one in the link look quite different.Its tubes come straight out instead of angeling down.It does say its an exact fit for a 65 van.I wonder if the photo shown is incorect?

Last edited by slowrider on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:40 am

The pic in the link might not be the actual part. You're right the pic doesn't match the actual core. I couldn't find them yesterday but Kooky posted some pic's of the actual new one when he got it. Maybe someone else can post a pic.(Joe Van?????)

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:21 am

I don't think I took any pictures of the New one but it is exactly the same. Smile ... I am at work so can't check if I did until later when I get home but the picture of it is different from whats in the box..Just bring your old one just incase.. Worst case you can send it back but the part number is right..it took 3 day's to order mine from Advanced Auto Part's
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:48 am

I really apreciate your input guys.Ido have one more question.Ijust noticed that one tube is larger than the other.I asume one is inlet the other outlet.Wich is wich?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 am

I would imagine the larger 3/4 inch one is the inlet and the smaller 5/8 inch one is the outlet..Now is a GOOD time to replace your heater hoses also.. Smile ..
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:39 am

Not sure which is in or out but they should match with the hookups on the engine. I believe one is 5/8" and the other is 3/4".

slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 am

I replaced the hoses first thinking that was the problem.Icouldnt get them loose and had to cut them off so will have to replace then again.This is on a v-8 swap and ill check the engine fittings when i put the core back in.I just droped it off to see if it can be repaired.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Looks identical to 64/65 Chevelle.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:37 am

Last time I checked advance no longer sells them they are out of stock/ discontinued
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:52 am

They still list the part number on their website. That's how I got the link. Didn't check the store.

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 am

Last edited by Joe Van on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Good thing its only cold in wisconsin 11 months out of a year. I havent called on a new one,still waiting to hear if mine can be repaired.Dang i hope so!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:27 pm

I drove a 65 in HS year round and froze my behind off in winter, yeah blankets and all that I could behind the seats. The way this one I have now warms up it makes me wonder if the heater core in the old days was maybe half plugged or something. So not only fix the leak check the flow if you can.
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:35 am

The irony of this is when the weather warms up in a couple months ill have the windows down,floor vent wide open and still bitching abouht how warm it gets inside. Twisted Evil 
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:33 am

Just got the call from the radiator shop telling me my core was junk.Now im bummed.He also works at napa and said he would see what he could find on monday but im not going to get my hopes up.Time for a plan- B i geuss.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:42 am

Slowrider try the Advance Auto web site. It allowed me to put one in my cart but that's as far as I went.

slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:50 am

Ijust had this chat with there online person.ill see what happens.
    Thank you for choosing Advance Auto Parts. A representative will be with you shortly. Thank you for holding.

Thank you for chatting with Advance Auto Parts and Batteries. You are now chatting with Roberto. How may I assist you today?

Roberto: Hello! How may I help you today?

You: is the heater core part#398237 still available?

Roberto: I'd be happy to help you with that.

Roberto: May I have your zip code, please?

You: 5468

You: 54868

You: its for a 1965 chevy van

Roberto: Thank you.

Roberto: Ok.

You: 1965 chevy g-10 van

Roberto: Thanks for holding. I went to check our availability on the warehouse and it shows zero for this part. But in this case you can go to the store and ask for a Special Request to get that from the dealer. Or we will bring you this part to our nearest store, but you will need to do this at the store personally. But they do not honor the online discounts, I’m sorry.

You: so it is still avalable or is it discontinued?

Roberto: The system is not showing any disclaimer that is discontinued.

You: THANKS ROBERTO ILL go to my local store and see what happens

Roberto: You're welcome. Have a good rest of the day.

Roberto: Can you please complete a short survey of the service that I have provided you with today? If you click on the End Chat button it will prompt you to complete a survey in reference to the service you received. I would appreciate your feedback.

You: sure
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:47 am

Last edited by Joe Van on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 am

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Just got back from advance.The counter guy looked it up and said,none available.Itold him i realize that and gave him the info roberto gave me that it could be special orderd.The guy says i cant do that theres none avalable.I explained to him again what roberto told me and he says sir,i can call links (ford dealer up the road) right now and if they dont make them anymore youre not going to get one.I told him he would look prety stupid calling the ford dealer for chevy parts and asked why i would be told it could be orderd if it couldnt?Uhh....Idunno...Left there and went to napa and they showed zero.Said come back monday there was one other place he could call.Ill ask then if it can be recored. I tryed checking out on the onlinestore for advance and it said none available.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45 am

Last edited by Joe Van on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:16 am; edited 2 times in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am