VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
jfox
SDEconoTruck
Digz
Gordon_M
mattimuss
Joe Van
Wheelie
BoneMan
jrinaman
Twinpilot001
vanner68
Space Truckin
JariV
Dawgboy
jimthefred
A100 Wrench
chopper tom
66mnecotruck
donivan65
Big W
ThomastheTankVan
25 posters

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!!

vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Roof flew off van! And died! Help!!

Post by vanner68 Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Old gasket material in where it shouldn't be?

Vacuum leak?

Use a length of wood as a stethoscope and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Oh, and if you do decide to sell, running is always a plus!
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Roof flew off van! And died! Help!!

Post by BoneMan Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Dawgboy wrote:So here is his new "sun roof". Fully peeled... Notice he does have a Battery box lid though.

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 E8466286-9a08-4c06-8005-805baa3f0804_zps38b785e5

Dang.  That's harsh.
    Looks like this guy may have had a similar situation with his roof.
    Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 Double10
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:29 am

Take to top a convertible top shop and have them make you a custom vinyl top like a jeep with snaps and all.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:52 am

Wheelie wrote:Take to top a convertible top shop and have them make you a custom vinyl top like a jeep with snaps and all.
                                                                                I will 2ND that Now that its running Good turn it to something Cool/Unique..!!!.. I am sure someone here can come up with the piece that's missing above the windshield... Sure would be COOL at the Beach in the Summer... Very Happy ..
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 am

I would make it into a crew cab P/U
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:48 am

summer is coming, just leave it off!
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 am

Laughing Laughing 
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 am

While I love the "go topless" ideas, I would be worried about the structural integrity of a roofless A100. Now maybe if some more cross supports were welded in and attached to the floor... and a massive header built above the windshield that tied back into the B pillars... Making a double-cab Combi out of it would be very rad, and you could use a flat steel roof for that...

vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:14 am

I remember seeing an A-100 years ago that was cut off at the beltline, a half height windshield, and the entire area behind the side doors filled with steel to make a deck.
    It was named "Sun Toy"

This would be perfect for such a mod.
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2009-05-04

Post by mattimuss Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:48 pm

The Navy ran a few topless A100 vans as flight line support trucks over on Coronado Island for many years:

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 1971do10

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 1971do11

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 1971do12

A local MoPar junk yard guy bought them all some years ago and parted them all out.  When I was at the yard [closed down last year] he showed me the sales paperwork from the Navy.  I wish I could have gotten one of them!  He said they we rust free, low mileage and still drivable...
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

all it needs is a hot tub in the back
    Gordon_M
    Gordon_M

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-03-23

Post by Gordon_M Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 pm

mattimuss wrote:The Navy ran a few topless A100 vans as flight line support trucks over on Coronado Island for many years:

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 1971do10

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 1971do11

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 1971do12

Interesting. That's a van cut at the belt line, right? No front doors, no side doors - probably no rear doors either?

There is so much metal missing from that shell it can have no structural rigidity at all unless it was put back somehow
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Looks to be extra short as well....
    66mnecotruck
    66mnecotruck

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2014-02-15

Post by 66mnecotruck Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Above the frame, what needs to be rigid?
    Gordon_M
    Gordon_M

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-03-23

Post by Gordon_M Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:11 am

66mnecotruck wrote:Above the frame, what needs to be rigid?

I thought it was effectively a unibody?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 am

I have been thinking about it and in MY Opinion all that is missing is the Roof Skin the Braces and Supports are still there so I don't think there was really no Structural Support lost except for a Very Thin piece of sheet metal to cover it..A Good upholstery shop can make you a Nice Snap on Canvas top with out breaking the bank maby a couple of clear vinyl window's also like sunroof's.. just grind off any sharp metal and spray paint the drip edge first.. Very Happy ..Down here we call them Beach Van's......
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:11 am

Might get away with out some of the rear structure missing on a Dodge, but the cab area and mostly the dash rely heavily on the roof for support. Seam sealer doesn't make that great of a bonding agent.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:15 am

Realistically, a roofless van is not likely to be a daily driver. Also realistically, a roofless van is going to be considered a 'parts van'. Even gotavan parted out his first gen Chevy after the roof parted ways.

So, I say- clean up the rough edges enough to reduce the tetanus risk, and drive it for fun until it starts getting worse. You will probably get a few years enjoyment out of it at least!
    ThomastheTankVan
    ThomastheTankVan

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2014-03-13

Post by ThomastheTankVan Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Well I've embraced the toplessness, what man wouldn't? haha. Me and the wife strung up Christmas lights around the supports. Put carpet in it and MDF fake wood panelling(sloppily) from home depot. Got a recliner free off of Craigslist, tossed a rug also from CL, and some camping gear...and it's a Beach Van.

You can see me tooling around Ocean Beach and National City. Been getting a lot of questions and more offers when I tell them I'm selling it in May. Decided it would make a great parts van, but it runs too well to be scrapped. It's like selling a gun cause you ran out of ammo. I would like someone to keep it as a Beach Van or put a roof on it and make it right.

I've been taking pics, just need to upload them to photobucket so I can post them up here.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:42 am

sheet alunimum-cover it!!
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:41 am

Get a vinyl top made so you can keep the junk out. Think Pickup truck bed cover...

Glad you are seeing the positives.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm

... cheers cheers cheers ....
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:30 pm

I've always wanted to do this, if you just made a filler panel for the top of the windshield, and put snaps all around the driprail, you could have a company that does boat covers make a canvas top!
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Got a good look at Collin's A100 today.  Here's a few pics:
    Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 00211

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 00510

Roof flew off van! And died! Help!! - Page 2 01910

Man, if it wasn't for the roof, the rest is real nice, interior paint still orig
    and looking fresh.  Anybody happen to be walking by a spare A-100 roof
    might want to grab it for this van, pretty much gonna just need an un-zip
    of the gutter rail and re-spot weld of a new lid on.

(Sounded good, says he drives it all over. That windshield would worry me
    on the freeway though...)
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 pm

How hard would it be to cut the roof off of something newer..say.. a mid 70's van and cut it down to fit. I know the windshield part would have to be fabbed up to fit, or maybe easier to ship the front windshield section if someone had one,then a whole roof and weld the two together. But other then the roof this van looks great.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am