VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+15
jrdunn96
paradiddle
WYO George
cole63
Das Boot
vanny
Udo
Big W
jimthefred
stanyon
BoneMan
FIZGIG
SDEconoTruck
Barnabas
Seth G
19 posters

My 250 Swap

FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

My 250 Swap - Page 4 Empty Re: My 250 Swap

Post by FIZGIG Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 am

SO is this thing done already???? LOL
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 pm

haha Smile not quite.... I'll have an update soon. Wife put me on some other projects and money has been tight, but I'm coming back to it now. Working on some head porting and awaiting brake parts.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:45 am

Got the rear brakes fit up. I had to orient them like they are b/c of the e brake interfering with the leaf spring. Looks like they will still bleed ok. We'll see.

Been working on the front brakes. I'm going to use the same rotor that came in the kit for the back. I've abandoned using the jeep rotors, put's the caliper to far inboard. I have the brackets mostly figured out. 2 peices 3/8" plate, one mounted to the knuckle, the other mounted to it inboard side. This setup will bring the caliper outboard an inch or more over using the jeep rotor. Bracket seems more secure as well not hanging off the back of the knuckle on long spacers.

My 250 Swap - Page 4 TR3ox6

My 250 Swap - Page 4 2l71Wj

My 250 Swap - Page 4 V2KALU

I would have gotten more done but I've been laid up since last thursday. Threw out my back.. Mad
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 am

I'm going to make a prototype out of 3/8" plywood and suss out the bracket to bracket holes. They should be pretty close.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:56 pm

I made up the prototype and I need a 3/16" spacer plate between the knuckle bracket and the caliper bracket to center the caliper. And the caliper mounting holes are skewed slightly leaving the upper slide to close and the lower slide to far away from the rotor. I've modeled the shim and adjusted the holes, also fixed some clearance issues with the pads and the bracket. I need to make new prototypes now. I'm also working through some serious sciatic /back problem. It sucks
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:19 pm

One of the most difficult aspects of the brake project is getting the rotors concentric to the hub/flange. I'm going to have both the hubs and the rear axle flange faces turned true. And I'm going to rely on long smooth shank'd wheel studs to bring the rotors to near concentricity. I'm going to use Dorman 610-109 studs fr the front hubs(and maybe the rears, otherwise 610-153 which is a little longer) and drill the rotor holes out to 15mm which is within .003, or the lower nearest size and ream to clearance fit.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Ok, I made some adjustments, modeled the 3/16 spacer plate and made some new prototypes out of plywood planed to the proper thickness. It's looking pretty good. The caliper is a tad to far out on the rotor, so I'll have to pull those holes in an 3/32" or so. Here's the mock up with plywood prototype.

My 250 Swap - Page 4 YOcQpH

My 250 Swap - Page 4 KHCWtz

My 250 Swap - Page 4 XDam8h

Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Finally had time to get to get some porting on the old log head. Hopefully it help the old girl breath a little better. Finally be able to get it back to the machinist for a valve job and surface milling and be ready to bolt it on.

Think I found a guy who can cut out my brake brackets on his plasma table. Need to get that going.

Basically trying to find wheels and save money for tires in the meantime.

My 250 Swap - Page 4 YB1uYc

My 250 Swap - Page 4 PL47Y8

My 250 Swap - Page 4 35YnQq
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:22 pm

An interesting thing I found when I did the layout for exhaust port matching on the head and stock manifold was that they are offset to opposite ends, for and aft, of the gasket holes on cylinders 5 and 6. Meaning those to port holes were missaligned in such a way that they were narrowed pretty badly. I'm not doing much on the siamese ports other than bowl work under the valves. I figure those ports already breath better than the other 4 on these poor heads.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:49 pm

Well Crap! Right after posting this I went back to work on it, exhaust bowl on cylinder 4 and a crack showed up in the metal dust! then as I looked closer I see an identical crack in it's sister exhaust port on cylinder 3. Both are cracked through the valve seats and run into the cast iron, 1 o'clock on 4 and 11 o'clock on 3 Mad  I'm glad I'm only 4 hr's into this thing. No sure how I didn't see this when I was working on #3, so obvious now. Almost as if it just happened scratch My machinist was overrun when I had it cleaned and he didn't get to mangafluxing it and I was like it'll be fine, don't worry about it and he didn't charge me for the dip

My 250 Swap - Page 4 9VvpIa

My 250 Swap - Page 4 F0A7Ri

Back to the C9 head I guess
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:15 pm

The head should be ready tomorrow and I hope to port it this weekend and get it back for a valve job. I'm going to have him install the 1.75 intake valves from the cracked head, and a nos set of 144 1.46 intakes as exhaust valves. I can't wait to fire this motor up. If it doesn't blow it's going to be sweet to have the Econo for my daily driver again Smile

My 250 Swap - Page 4 Ymifwn
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:56 pm

I have 1 pc retainers and I think I'm going to go with Comp Cams 906 springs. I bought some 903 springs, which are 300/240 springs that fit but I think in the long term 60-70# will be better for the head than 80-95#, on the valves or the seats. It should be a torquey low rpm, good output engine. And the van is geared accordingly w/ 3.7:1 in the rear Very Happy Stop light to stop light is the goal w/ overdrive to keep it below 2500 @ 65. I'm afraid too much seat pressure at the daily low RPM's of this motor wont be good for longevity. Just like the stock #45 springs are maybe to light allowing flutter if you get on it. I'm hoping these 60# springs are a good compromise.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:48 am

Good luck with the maiden voyage! Hope all goes well for you! Keep us posted... Very Happy

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Yeah man!

Got a little update. I got the rotor stud holes drilled out and the new studs installed in the hubs. I've got the caliper bracket files to the fabricator. With any luck I should have the brackets back and installed soon. Works been a little slow the last couple weeks so I'm not sure I'll be able to eek out some dough for the new wheels this next month. But whatever, progress is progress. My machinist has been draggin his feet on getting the damned C9 head dipped and magnaflux'd. Might have to give him a little nudge. The day of the post before last he told me he was putting it in the tank the next day.... I've stopped by there twice since, today included, and he wasn't around either time but I saw my head still sitting there untouched  Mad

My 250 Swap - Page 4 Cd1MjH

My 250 Swap - Page 4 GNdQRu
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:15 pm

I know this is a little late, but with my build the best luck I had with machine shops are the ones that deal with local race teams.  Around here dirt track is big and while this shop I went to mainly dealt with 2.3 Fords, after I explained that all I needed was some cuttin' and gridin' on the head - no disassembly or cleaning they were happy to do it.  It only took two days and something like $40.  They're use to fast turn around.  They were 20 miles out of the way, but I will go back again.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Hey guy's, I've got an update. I've got all the new hard lines ran, fuel and brakes. I've got the studs replaced in the axles and the hubs. The hubs and axles are now permanently installed. Rear brakes are installed, proportioning valve installed. I've done the final fitting of the front brake brackets, once prepped and painted they will be installed.

After much searching for the 'perfect' rotor for fronts and pretty much giving up I came across a post on another forum where someone used a 90's Dodge Intrepid rotor. I looked it up and it's exactly what I was looking for. By 'perfect' I mean a rotor that is drilled 5x4.5, is easily found, cheap, fit's over the hubs w/o machining, and has a low hat height. These are almost identical to the 79 T/A rotors in the rear kit. The hat is ~1/8" shorter and the diameter is 1/16" smaller. Has 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern and just needs redrilled to 19/32" for a really nice fit on the Dorman 610-109 studs. FYI, in order to use these studs the hub holes must be drilled to 15.75mm or you will mushroom the face of the hub which you've just had turned. This gives the proper interference fit of .005" for the knurl of the studs which are .625". You may or may not be able to get by using a 39/64" bit but that is only .609", probably too tight.

I've also gotten my head back and need to get to porting it. Right now that and getting new wheels are my main priorities. Once the front brackets are painted and permanently installed I'll be able to bleed the brake system and call it done.

My 250 Swap - Page 4 Ymj9RL

My 250 Swap - Page 4 EPc4Tu

My 250 Swap - Page 4 9WlHvy

My 250 Swap - Page 4 Tzgf4o

My 250 Swap - Page 4 DpzjSR

My 250 Swap - Page 4 CUERWM
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:55 am

Looking damn good!!!!
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Moving along pretty good!
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks guys! Got the head porting done and the head is at the machinist for surfacing, needs valve guides, and a valve job. Putting later intakes out of the other head and some NOS 144 intakes for the exhaust. Probably all that will get done this month. Wife has decided we need all new flooring in the downstairs. Been working on that mostly.

My 250 Swap - Page 4 8DvJaC

My 250 Swap - Page 4 UKP1Nd

My 250 Swap - Page 4 49S1Qz

My 250 Swap - Page 4 J0dyDo
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Well, I pulled the trigger on the rims. After much waffling back and forth I decided I had to go with steelies, regardless the cost. I've got 4 15x7's for $350 shipped from Summit, coming tomorrow. Found some cool hubcaps on ebay for a C note. They actually repop these in stainless for around $50 a pc. I'll be surprised if I get these and they aren't the repop's, they look to good. I'm going to get the rims prep'd and painted and have new rubber put on them at the end of the month, 225/60's all around. Would like to have the rims powder coated but it's not in the budget right now.

My 250 Swap - Page 4 BYs6Yw

My friend has a pristine pair of these on his. He painted them black behind the Ford. I really like these but they are hard to find nice and I didn't want to have the same ones he has... The other one's are similar but different.

My 250 Swap - Page 4 Zeyvj8

Here's the wheels, wheel vintique 62 series. Standard large dog-dish rims. Not crazy about the 1/4" positive offset but figure I could spacer them out 1/4" if need be for looks. These are identical to the 14x5.5? wheels I have. I figure it's better to be able to use standard caps unlike alot of the offerings out there. The caps I already have fit these..

My 250 Swap - Page 4 JaIvmP

Last edited by Seth G on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Can't wait to see those mounted on your van. I looked at those hubcaps online as well. I think they look Fantastic! You're doing some awesome work on that van of yours!!! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks Vanny! I'll post some pic's when I get the tires mounted.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Also, I picked up one of those Volvo 2 stage fan controller jobs and pigtails. I think I'm going to have an aluminum bung/plug welded onto the bottom tank of the radiator next to the inlet and drill and tap it for a BMW or VW 2 stage fan switch. Would be nice to find an SAE switch to do the job in the range I need but I can't find an application for one out there  scratch  study  Need to go to the yard and get a taurus fan and 7" 3g

I figure I'll use one of those cheap 80a 12v heavy duty relay's like they use for windlass's for both speeds and use the Volvo unit as a low power controller/relay. Put the wear on the HD contactors..... Cool
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Got the hubcaps and they're genuine FoMoCo! Hard to believe... must have been NOS until recently. Rims look great, checked runout, looks good but for one of them. The 3 good ones are .012" or less lateral and .020-.035" axial. I'm going to take another look at that one, may send it back. It's within spec, barely(~.042" axial), but the runout is around dbl at the back of the rim compared to the front on the axial plane.... doesn't seem right. Decided I'm probably going to go ahead and powdercoat them. May as well, I don't have the time to mess with them. Looks like it's going to be less than $50 a pc total. I'll get a hard quote tomorrow.

They're going to need 3/16" spacers, there's a slight interference with the calipers all around. Got those coming. 1/8" may do but 3/16" is better, gives me a little leeway. Tire's are going to be pretty tight, but OK Smile Should work out well, stance should be good. Front lugs are fine with that, but I ordered some ET lugs's for the rear. Rear flange and rotor hat are thicker. Was just right but now only ~6 turns

My 250 Swap - Page 4 Vx6k3x

My 250 Swap - Page 4 HeAolO
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:12 am

Seth,
    Awesome work!

-Brian

Sponsored content