BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Brent's Van (uante)

uante

Number of posts : 1188
Registration date : 2014-01-26

Re: Brent's Van (uante)

Post by uante on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:23 pm

twday wrote:Looks real good from here. Those old vans drove like you were herding cats after they got some wear in the steering. Also, these were not designed to be high speed road trucks. They were designed for local delivery. At speeds over 55 they can get squirrely on you, especially for stopping issues from high speed. Just have a great time with it and drive safely!

Thanks and Amen to Driving Safely! lol
uante

Post by uante on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:28 pm

So I drilled the holes for the seats in the back. Well all but the two, one on each seat, that are over the gas tank. It seems to me that there is space to drill a hole and slip a "L" bolt in there. From what I can feel there's like 1.5" of space between the bed of the van and the top of the tank. Anyone know for sure and can verify? I'm a bit nervous about drilling those two holes! lol

Inner leg rear is over Tank

Feels and looks like there's enough room to drill the holes. Don't really want to drop the tank for this.

jrdunn96

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Brent,
My Epup has a cast iron weight over the gas tank. And yes it is about 1.5" thick.
Jim
uante

Post by uante on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 pm

I got some of that cast iron back there too. In the picture it's on the right side in the gap. The large bolts towards the rear of the bed seem to pass thru the iron pieces
Seth G
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 1700
Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 pm

I love those seats. Welded nut's and thumb screws or cam locks and pins of some sort and they're in and out
uante

Post by uante on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Drilled the holes for the inside back legs...No problem, there was over 2" of space between the floor and top of the tank, at least where I drilled.

Cut down some "L" bolts and rethreaded them to the proper length and drilled a small hole for a nail to fit through to keep them from falling in when the nut is removed. Amy called it another "Brent-Rig"! lol

jrdunn96

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Brent,
How about something like this instead of the nails. It makes me nervous to have nails loose around my tires(OCD). You would of course need the right size though. I was afraid the nails would shake out when the seats are installed.
Jim
Hair Pin Spring Clips
uante

Post by uante on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:05 pm

Those Clips would certainly work well. But after tighting the nut, I had bigger issues with the bolt spinning. I got a fix for that figured out and the nails I just snipped off short and bent them a little so they work and don't get in the way.

Got sides done last weekend and the roof center up today. By the end of the weekend should have the rear cargo area done except for all the extras.

cole63

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Post by cole63 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Interior is looking great. I will be doing an interior in my van soon. What thickness plywood are you using? I was thinking 1/4"?
uante

Post by uante on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks...my shoulder is killing me doing the ceiling. It's 3/8" underlayment from Home Depot
vanny

Number of posts : 8771
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:23 pm

It's really starting to take shape Brent, nice work!!!

Number of posts : 1413
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Your van is coming along great, Nice to see somebody with the determination to finish a project!
uante

Post by uante on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks! This project, as simple as it is compared to some on here, has been more fun than I thought it'd be. Getting one of these old vans certainly was one of my highlight decisions. Very Happy
uante

Post by uante on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Checked out the sticker on the underlayment and it's 5 mm.

vanny

Post by vanny on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 pm

uante wrote:Checked out the sticker on the underlayment and it's 5 mm.

I guess you can also cut up that underlayment and use as gasket material for your carb since the sticker says it's Carb compliant! Even our wood comes from China... Question

Number of posts : 1700
Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:08 pm

aka luan/doorskin, we use it for pattern stock at the shop. You can get luan faced with veneer to. The van is looking great btw Brent
uante

Post by uante on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Clyde got out of the garage today and participated in a pretty cool show at Falcon Field Mesa.
Here I'm Photobombing Amy's Picture of her Bug and my Van! Razz

No other Vans except a few very nice 1930's deliveries. There was one vender that had an 80's van painted like Scooby-Doo that looked pretty silly.

Almost lost the original windshield on the way home. Got hit by a rock on the freeway but it hit between the FORD letters and the glass and just chipped paint.
uante

Post by uante on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Getting a break from the heat this week and headed to Washington State to visit my Dad. On the way Amy and I are going to stop in Grangeville ID to meet Clyde H. the retired fire fighter that set up my van for the City back in 1963. Also get a look at the fire department building (although the original has be torn down and rebuilt on the same site) and the town where it served for 30 years.

Meanwhile I've haven't gotten too far with the inside. Paneling mostly done but still have to finish the instrument panel and trim everything, panel doors and cab area.

vanny

Post by vanny on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Looks Cool Brent, and I think Clyde will be impressed with the work you've done to it. Really Great that you get to hear about the history of your van first hand!!! Have a Great Fun trip and if you don't mind, post a few pics...Please and Thank You! Very Happy

Post by uante on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:59 pm

After stopping in Grangeville ID and finding out some cool facts about my van, we continued driving up to Lewiston ID where we stopped by Texas John's motorcycle shop in hopes of meeting with him. Unfortunately he wasn't there, but there was a van sitting out front that looked like it was 4 Sale.

uante

Post by uante on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 am

September Baseball - Go DBacks!!!

I've been making slow progress on my van interior. Hard to get motivated in a 100 degree garage. Should have some progress pics in the next couple weeks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 am