donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11701
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Re: Dons day,,,,,,,

Post by donivan65 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Found a Rattlesnake from Los Angeles at my place today,,,,,,seems like his 66 had chewed its left front outer wheel bearing and cup through its hub,,,,,,,

rattlesnake66
rattlesnake66

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-04-19

Post by rattlesnake66 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Im gonna have to start the bootleg version of Don's Day, and call it Rattlesnakes Revenge for everytime the van leaves me stranded.

For starters let's just say I'm convinced I need disc brakes,  no more close calls with hubs.

Backstory - I was headed out with the wife to 29 palms out in the desert when I heard a weird noise,  then a thump,  then a whole lotta thumps.  Once I pulled over I saw that the bearing was way out of place and the tire was slightly off.

I took my chances and drove to a relative's place about 20 miles away driving about 5 miles an hour and luckily made it without the tire falling off.

The spindle was fine but the inner part of both bearings were frozen onto the spindle after 4 bloody knuckles and a multitude of unholy words I was able to remove both parts of the bearings and installed the patented DON fresh hubs with new bearings.  After 2 days I'm back on the road.

Thanks again Don, next we'll hopefully have a video segment doing the dual reservoir install for all to view on YouTube.
vanny
vanny

Number of posts : 11069
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:26 am

Wow, unfortunately those white knuckle events usually lead to bloody knuckles. Looks like you had some assistance from Don and the “persuader” to get things back to normal! I’m looking forward to seeing the dual reservoir installation.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:37 pm

So,,,,,,lets get back to Rich and his van,,,,,,,looks like 11 years ago I towed it to his house,,,,,and he began working on it,,,,,,now if you look in in the dictionary under PERFECTIONIST,,,,,you will see his picture,,,,,,,so finally,,,,,,,for him to finish his restoration,,,,,,,,I go in my junk parts box, pull out and give him,,,
a genuine,,,,,,65 Chevy,,,,SportVan Deluxe,,,,,,,,,,,,,cigarette lighter,,,,,,,now he can rest in peace

donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 pm

It would be a sad day for America if I ended up on that thing,,,,,,,,,,

vanny
vanny

Post by vanny on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:36 am

Someone queue the theme from Deliverance... What a Face

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
VANagain
VANagain

Number of posts : 954
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:52 am

Don, I want to thank you for all your help and inspiration over the years. And for not letting me forget how long it's been since I started this project! We've learned a lot and met some good vanners. And now I thank you for filling a hole in my dash that I have been unable to fill. Very Happy
donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:50 am

,,,,and you had 2 more SportVans before it,,,,,,,,time sure has gone by fast,,,,,,,,I think I will do a post about the historical moments on Vintage-Vans since it began on March 14, 2006 when there were only 11 of us, and your Vanagon, Storage van and New York van will be in it,,,,,,,,I aint done with you yet,,,,,,,,,,but its all in fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
samsvan
samsvan

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Nice to have you back Guv.
donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:08 pm

Well,,,,a few weeks ago I threw my 71 honda on the back of my 78 Transvan and went to the Swap meets in Quartzsite, Arizona,,,,,,,KAZ came over from Phoenix and I gave him a vent glass for his van and showed him how to take apart his MonoJet carburetor,,,,,,

vanny
vanny

Post by vanny on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:46 pm

Did you show him how to get the monojet back together again?

jrdunn96
jrdunn96

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:47 am

vanny wrote:Did you show him how to get the monojet back together again?

As legend has it; That lesson comes later after you have proven your worthiness by not losing the parts for an undetermined amount of time(Rumored to be about 2 years.).  All part of the "Van Fu" training. affraid
vanny
vanny

Post by vanny on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:20 am

jrdunn96 wrote:
vanny wrote:Did you show him how to get the monojet back together again?

As legend has it; That lesson comes later after you have proven your worthiness by not losing the parts for an undetermined amount of time(Rumored to be about 2 years.).  All part of the "Van Fu" training. affraid

Grasshopper, when you can snatch this pebble from my hand, you can leave this place...

donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:19 am

,,,,,,you guys got it right,,,,,,,,,,,

kaz
kaz

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by kaz on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey donivan can you post the pictures I took of you driving you're cool Honda motorcycle in front of me, I think it was so funny how everybody kept stopping you to look at your motorcycle, I had the most fun I love going there thank you for the window, and showing me the carburetor. And all the times you help me get my van going.
donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Post by donivan65 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 am

OK Kenny,,,,,,here are some KAZual pictures you took with that fancy camera of yours,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 pm