VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
agentwilliams
Twinpilot001
VanninBlaino
JariV
8 posters

Lowered airride A100

JariV
    JariV

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2013-04-25

Lowered airride A100 Empty Lowered airride A100

Post by JariV Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Has this van been discussed here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggoe7uCcPn4
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

Lowered airride A100 Empty Re: Lowered airride A100

Post by VanninBlaino Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 am

Yeah, I wouldn't ride in that van. I respect the builder for doing it, but its done in a way where I wouldn't feel comfortable in it. Theres a whole build thread on the HAMB. That van went up for sale shortly after this video was posted.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 am

love the video!! hearing all the engine noises!! buy it & get a rebuild going!!  affraid lol! 
    agentwilliams
    agentwilliams

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2012-03-10

Post by agentwilliams Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:15 pm

VanninBlaino wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't ride in that van. I respect the builder for doing it, but its done in a way where I wouldn't feel comfortable in it. Theres a whole build thread on the HAMB. That van went up for sale shortly after this video was posted.

Out of curiosity, what makes you uncomfortable about it - It looks really well-built.
    I think it's shockless in the video, based on the bouncy-ness, but other than that, looks ok.
    I really like the 4-link front axle idea.
    JariV
    JariV

Post by JariV Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:32 pm

The only thing that makes me think "hmmmmmmm" in this van is that the builder welded the arms in the front to the cast iron front axle beam. I would change that to a bolt on setup connecting to where the leaf springs are bolted. Other than that it looks ok to me.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 am

I wish someone on here would show how to bag one of these old girls, I want to bag mine but I don't know what kits to buy or anything, I would think you could just cut off the springs behind the front axle and install bags were the u bolts hold the springs to the axle, any info?
    JariV
    JariV

Post by JariV Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 am

I'd fabricate arms instead of just cutting the leaf springs. I'd put them in place of the front part of the spring perches. Then add a track bar. Then fit the bags. But I'm not going to do that to my van because I'm very happy the way it sits and rides.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:59 am

Wild Bill has a link set up going. There isn't much room for a usable track bar but i think he came up with a Watts Link to keep things in the middle. Bagging the back is pretty easy on these , coming up with an easy front system not so much.
    "I want to bag mine but I don't know what kits to buy or anything,..." There are no bolt-on kits. From what little I can surmise from messing with my 64 is you are only going to gain about 3-5 inches of drop (maybe) with bags without doing major surgery. Some of the guys to talk to on bagging and air systems are those guys at the carshows with the slammed S10s and such. They are using AC compressors for pumps and build a lot of their own stuff. My opinion is bags and leaf springs don't mix for beans.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:15 am

just one persons opinion but these vehicles drive like crap, and handle just as bad, so why would for the sake of other than vanity would anybody want to do this to one. hopefully they used a rust bucket and didn't destroy a good survivor vehicle.to convet an exsisting chassis to work this way would be more work than starting from scratch and building a chassis and hanging an a-100 body around it. probably safer too...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:51 am

Im TOTALLY =With =JKR!! Here= The only bag  I want to see is an OLD BAG -in someone else's  Late model VAN!! cheers lol!
    agentwilliams
    agentwilliams

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2012-03-10

Post by agentwilliams Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:05 pm

JariV wrote:The only thing that makes me think "hmmmmmmm" in this van is that the builder welded the arms in the front to the cast iron front axle beam. I would change that to a bolt on setup connecting to where the leaf springs are bolted. Other than that it looks ok to me.

Yep agreed, welding to the stock beam seems a bit unreliable. It could be re-done in a bolt-on method using the stock u-bolt hoops on the axle.

As for the nay-sayers:
    You're not going to convince me you drive one of these things for any other reason than vanity or nostalgia. They are outdated, relatively unsafe and crazy handling. But they sure look strange and cool.
    I'm not going to convince anyone that lowering a vehicle is more safe or an improvement to handling. It's all preference and vanity. If we all liked the same thing, we'd be sexting each-other on the '57 Chevy forum. Haha.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:17 pm

I would still like to bag mine, I could get in and out of it easier if I could lower it, my age and having polio as a child makes it hard to get in one, besides they look better lowered,
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:17 am

I am going to install air ride as soon as I get the ride tech system off of our other shop car. I will take plenty of pics and I don't plan on using the front I beam but If I do there will be no welding to the axle. Im going to see if I can get a mustang II under it. These things would handle way better with IFS.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:25 am

i'll be sure to watch how you do it, I want to be able to lower the front 6'' and raise it back up when driving,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 am