BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

I crashed my 63 e truck

twinlinemoto

Number of posts: 73
Registration date: 2013-01-02

I crashed my 63 e truck

Post by twinlinemoto on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:43 am

Yesterday was a very sad day for me, on my way to Portland for a motorcycle shoe I spun out and hit the wall. I need to get my truck back to Seattle and find a place to take it to start the rebuilding process. I hit the front left corner pretty good, the door is buckled and the cab is far from straight. Anyone have suggestions on where to take it for the bodywork?

kookykrispy

Number of posts: 972
Registration date: 2009-05-22

Re: I crashed my 63 e truck

Post by kookykrispy on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:50 am

I'm very sorry to hear that! For this kind of work, there is only one person and one shop I would recommend: Spencer Cochran. SC AutoKraft. He is in South Prairie, which is up on the hill past puyallup, just south from Bonney Lake.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SC-AutoKraft-LLC/133376193377562

They do only vintage and classic cars.

Spencer and his boys fixed my '68 camaro and did it the right way. It was hammered in the back and needed all new metal from the doors back, including all new back half and frame rails. His prices are reasonable. Not cheap, but not a rip-off. He is honest and he does very good work. It sounds like your truck will probably have to go on the frame rack, which is how they got my camaro square again. He does alot of mopars, so your van will be in good company. Tell him Joe Russell referred you.

twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:58 am

Thank you! Also, does anyone have experience with collector car insurance?

neondv8

Number of posts: 246
Registration date: 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 pm

twinlinemoto wrote:Yesterday was a very sad day for me, on my way to Portland for a motorcycle shoe I spun out and hit the wall. I need to get my truck back to Seattle and find a place to take it to start the rebuilding process. I hit the front left corner pretty good, the door is buckled and the cab is far from straight. Anyone have suggestions on where to take it for the bodywork?
the maaco in shoreline,wa works on a lot of classic cars and truck. he did my van's body work and paint.

kookykrispy

Number of posts: 972
Registration date: 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:41 pm

twinlinemoto wrote:Thank you! Also, does anyone have experience with collector car insurance?

I have my old stuff insured with Hagerty, but I have never had to make a claim so I wish you good luck! If you talk to Spencer, vintage/classic cars is all he does, so I would imagine he is pretty familiar with dealing with the collector's insurance.

EconoUSAparts

Number of posts: 1981
Registration date: 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Jim Bulger on site here has a lot of experience with it recently. He knows all the ins and outs of it. He had 2 of his wrecked at the same time.
Also let me know if you need any parts,I have several parts rigs here.

Joe Van
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts: 2670
Registration date: 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 am

SORRY to hear about your Early truck.Sad..That FEAR is in the back of my mind every time I take my Early out for a Ride..I remember Very Well when Jim (Blue Lemon) had that accident the Blue Econo was fixable with a right rear quarter panel some body work and paint the Red Early was a total loss and was one of my favorite Early's... I think to this day he still has it...I have Grundy Insurance with my Earley but luckily I never had a claim with them...... On the other hand I have State Farm on my other 2 Vans and had a claim last summer on the way back from a Van Show in Orlando with my 1975 Chevy. I was on I-75 going about 65 mph pulling our 23ft camper and hit a piece of steel in the road and blew out my left rear tire by time I got it stopped and pulled to the side of the highway it did 2k in damage on the body and paint the next day they sent a adjuster out and cut me a check no problem it was the only accident claim on that Van since my parents bought it back in 1979 .Very Happy......Jim went to the CC so should be home some time tonight or tomorrow........GOOD LUCK........JOE VAN...... A month later and all fixed up,,,The body shop had to paint the whole left side.!!!.

G-Man
Mayor
Mayor

Number of posts: 30745
Registration date: 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:45 am

I'm also sorry to hear this, hope it not real bad so you can fix it

66ThunderVan

Number of posts: 365
Registration date: 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 am

Bummer Dude! Sorry! BTDT. Let us know if you need anything.

twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:18 am

Thank you all for the sympathy and help! Here she is:

I will certainly need a new driver side door and front bumper, possibly a grill and some shift linkage steering and pedal parts. I will be calling SC autokraft today to see if they are willing to take it on. Let me know if you guys have any parts I can buy!

66ThunderVan

Number of posts: 365
Registration date: 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 am

Looks like most of the impact was up around the headlight bucket. If the frame rail is ok that is repairable. You will need a door. Thankfully, you didn't get the windshield.

twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Just talked with Spencer from SC autokraft, he sounds like a winner and is ready to do battle with my insurance company as well as work with me to find any parts necessary. I like him already!

econopoor

Number of posts: 1353
Registration date: 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:27 pm

To buckle a door like that, the door pillar was pushed back considerably. That's going to be hard to fix. Look in the footwell and on the floor for buckling. That's a pretty good lick. I'd let a few bodyshops have a look at it and see if it can be pulled back into shape. You may be better off swapping your drivetrain into another body. These things are made out of some thick steel and it doesn't like to move. Good luck on the repairs.

Duane in Tennessee.

twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 pm

The floor is buckled a bit. We will see how it goes.

RipVanArkie

Number of posts: 964
Registration date: 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Glad you are Okay, best of luck on the rebuild!

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
Co-Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
1953 International Metro Van LM120,
1964 ChevyVan Window Option, Auto, PDB F/R,
1969 ChevyVan 108 Panel 4x4 project
1962 Econoline PU, 1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic

Current date/time is Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10 am