VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
wideload
Lazarusvan
6 posters

Sway bar question?

Sway bar question? Empty Sway bar question?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I keep seeing posts about people that have sway bars on their vans. My 68 GMC HANDI VAN doesn't have one. Is it suppose to? Did they come with them? I don't see anything under my van that would indicate it had one. I would really like to have a front sway bar on my van if it's possible. Every time I take a corner my van feels like its going to tip over. It would certainly handle 100 times better if I had one.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Sway bar question? Empty Re: Sway bar question?

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Ed, I am pretty certain they did not.  My first Gen does not have one but I purchased one from a member here that I have yet to install.  I have read enough to know that you have to make sure you have all the parts.  They come up from time to time and, like any add ons, sellers tend to ask silly money for them, even when incomplete.  

My van does not feel like it will tip over at reasonable speeds (but I drive this like a grandpa far more so than any other vehicle, especially into curvy ramps), so I wonder if you are having another suspension related issues.  Bushings?
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Ed some came with sway bar and some didn't. Was probably a factory or dealer option. I've owned both with and without and can't tell much difference in the way they drive, but I'm not trying to run highway like the van is a sports car. My max speed in the best van I've owned was cruising about 60mph.
    Just remember that first and second gen are different and they do pop up for sale occasionally. I would suggest shocks and spring bushings first.

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:04 pm

wideload wrote:Ed some came with sway bar and some didn't. Was probably a factory or dealer option. I've owned both with and without and can't tell much difference in the way they drive, but I'm not trying to run highway like the van is a sports car. My max speed in the best van I've owned was cruising about 60mph.
    Just remember that first and second gen are different and they do pop up for sale occasionally. I would suggest shocks and spring bushings first.
        Even with a sway bar up front Bad Shocks will make any vehicle unstable around corners and over bumps.!!!. I have a front sway bar in mine and added a rear one also and it made a Big Difference in handling in my Van...But like wideload said check your Spring Bushings and replace your Shocks First. Smile ...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Sway bars mostly came on SportVans so the passengers don't get seasick,,,,,,a 1st Gen has 6 leafs up front, while a 2nd Gen most likely has only two,,,,,,so they will sway and bounce alot,,,,,,but it is a softer ride,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah I have new heavy duty shocks all around. My front pass side leaf spring does sit about 1 1/2 lower then the drivers side front and I'm sure my leaf spring bushings are worn. I don't know where to get those. I would like to get new leaf springs all around but no one has them around here. I don't go around corners to fast, it just seems to tip a lot when I do take a corner. It's done that since the day I got it (17 years ago). My max speed on the highway is around 60 and I have to hold on for my life lol. I just have trouble finding parts here in Massachusetts. Even the junk yards around here don't have anything older then 1990's. All the good junk yards and parts seem to be south and west from here. Sad
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:27 pm

2nd Gens have weird springs,,,,,,,2 1/2" in the middle,,,,,3" on the ends,,,,,,,,peoples buy 2 1/2" wide springs and get fatter bushings to make  the springs  fit.........I set up this kit for 2nd Gens at National Spring,,,,,,,,,,to replace the metal cartridges with polyurethane,,,,,,

Sway bar question? North_10

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:24 pm

Yeah I noticed the rear springs are 2 1/2 inside and 3 outside. I was looking for helper springs at on point, then decided to go with heavy duty air shocks instead. (even though I don't like putting all that pressure on the shock mounts.)

Is that kit or kits all I would need to replace the bushings on the whole van?... Where would I get new bolts? I usually go to the hardware store for that stuff but I'm assuming it has to be a special size and grade.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:41 pm

If that is what looks to be your size the forward ends of your springs with the metal cartridges look like, then you can call Ben and tell him sell you Don's North Carolina bushing kit,,,,,,tell him the part #'s  if  he forgets  the plan,,,,,,,the shackle's  use different bushings ( HB 930), from a different company,,,,,,those bolts seem like plain old 1/2" bolts to me,,,,,

Sway bar question? Spring12
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Sway bar question? Hb_93010
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Well,,,,,,,,I got air bags, a sway bar and a spare tire to lighten the load on my springs,,,,,,,on my 65

Sway bar question? Repair82
    nodoor66
    nodoor66

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2013-10-20

Post by nodoor66 Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:31 pm

The Econolines had a front anti-sway bar on the HeavyDuty version.  The thinking is that a heavy load would cause the van to sway on corners.  An anti-sway bar does make cornering easier by keeping the van from rolling towards the outside of the curve.  It does affect the steering while cornering, so it does take a little getting used to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 am