VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Big W
panelmanrd
G-Man
7 posters

Manual Column Shift Linkage

Manual Column Shift Linkage Empty Manual Column Shift Linkage

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Just starting a new project.  Bought a 1964 Chevy G10 Panel Van.  Just starting to evaluate things I need to do.  The three-on-the tree is pretty sloppy, and the shifter linkage next to the steering wheel has been poorly welded and bolted together.  Any suggestions as to parts availability? Slim pickins for old vans in the bone yard.  Any exchange with other Chevy cars/trucks?

Thanks,

DM

Last edited by Doug Mann on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Manual Column Shift Linkage Empty Re: Manual Column Shift Linkage

Post by G-Man Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Welcome to VV!!! Go back and change your profile to where you live. Many times there a vanner close that can help you
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Go to parts wanted and start a thread of what you need and there will be somebody that will
    chime in with the parts you are looking for. there is always somebody taking out the 3 on the
    tree and putting in an auto.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm

panelmanrd,

Thanks, I will do that.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Welcome to VV. When you get a chance post up a pic of your G10, Weed love to see what your working on.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Welcome, I only got my '64 back in August, been on the same path as you!  There are several aftermarket shifter bushings out there but bottom line is, none of them fit right.  You need to make them, or have a good mechanic make some from some universal bronze or nylon bushings that are cut down to fit.  My shifter was repaired this way and its fine now, but the Dormans that are supposed to fit were too small...what state are you in?  I have a few lines on some junkyard vans around the country to get parts, one guy in OK has four of them being parted out, what do you need? You may find the entire shifter or the parts you need from a yard or from plenty of guys here with parts for sale, post a parts wanted ad.  A lot of people have changed engines and put in auto trannys and saved the old shifters for people like us who need the parts...Another good resource is the Vintage Chevy Van Club forum, very good parts wanted section there too, most folks here are also there too....Post a pic or 2 of your van too!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8724
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:29 am

Has any one tryed the old muscle car suppliers i'd have a hard time believing those bushings were made for a van only app,

Post by Vantasia Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:21 pm

dix wrote:Has any one tryed the old muscle car suppliers i'd have a hard time believing those bushings were made for a van only app,
    I've searched and read every forum tale here and over at VCVC on this subject, tried everything I could find that was supposed to fit and didn't, but all seem to say the same thing, adapt or make them form other bushings from Summit Racing or the like. We used some bronze ones for some muscle car but they had to be shortened, but they work great now!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Manual Column Shift Linkage Pick_u10
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8724
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:39 pm

your the man don . can you put those in the g- van links page.

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Those things are 50 cents each in my catalog,,,,,,,,somebody buy some and see if they work,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 am

The 66 pick up grommets are too big for our vans,,,,,but those 67-72 are the little hat grommets that will work,,,,,,,the carb linkage uses some with a smaller steel hat inside them but the hot exhaust is rough on them,,,,,,I used a 45 degree air line brass fitting and cut off some and they make a good brass bushing if you want to get rid of the rubber ones,,,,,

Manual Column Shift Linkage Repair58

Manual Column Shift Linkage Repair59
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:13 pm

This exactly what my guy did for me, we could not find anything to fit.  I think he used some mustang bushings that are available...The Dormans I bought, only $2.00 a pair were just too big to force into the lever rings and they were listed as the correct fit.  This is the way to go.  My rear weren't too bad, left the originals in there, just grease 'em up good.  Another thing to check is the shifter lever to trans.  I thought my popping out of gear and sloppy shifting was the bushings.  Turns out the lever was loose from the trans and the bolt and washer were chewed up from being loose, so was the keyway.  Had the shop weld over the key, re-cut it with Dremel and files and replace bolt and washer with a Grade 5 and now it shifts like a dream....check that lever bolt.  A new lever is hard to find too, the van was a special extra long length for the "reversed" set up with the trans behind the driver.  After trying two from junk yards from old GM pickups that were too short by an inch or more, ended up repairing mine. Also, as covered in another thread here with good pictures, make sure the rod guide by the E-brake pulley has some plastic liner and not bare steel, the original plastic ones are usually long gone. Easy to replace with some greased split wire mold and some cable ties. Really helped with the shifter play and keeps the weight of the rod from pulling out of gears.
    yrac
    yrac

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2012-10-08

Post by yrac Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Manual Column Shift Linkage

New post by jbass62 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm
    This exactly what my guy did for me, we could not find anything to fit. I think he used some mustang bushings that are available...The Dormans I bought, only $2.00 a pair were just too big to force into the lever rings and they were listed as the correct fit. This is the way to go. My rear weren't too bad, left the originals in there, just grease 'em up good. Another thing to check is the shifter lever to trans. I thought my popping out of gear and sloppy shifting was the bushings. Turns out the lever was loose from the trans and the bolt and washer were chewed up from being loose, so was the keyway. Had the shop weld over the key, re-cut it with Dremel and files and replace bolt and washer with a Grade 5 and now it shifts like a dream....check that lever bolt. A new lever is hard to find too, the van was a special extra long length for the "reversed" set up with the trans behind the driver. After trying two from junk yards from old GM pickups that were too short by an inch or more, ended up repairing mine. Also, as covered in another thread here with good pictures, make sure the rod guide by the E-brake pulley has some plastic liner and not bare steel, the original plastic ones are usually long gone. Easy to replace with some greased split wire mold and some cable ties. Really helped with the shifter play and keeps the weight of the rod from pulling out of gears.
    Re: Manual Column Shift Linkage

New post by donivan65 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:23 pm
    The 66 pick up grommets are too big for our vans,,,,,but those 67-72 are the little hat grommets that will work,,,,,,,the carb linkage uses some with a smaller steel hat inside them but the hot exhaust is rough on them,,,,,,I used a 45 degree air line brass fitting and cut off some and they make a good brass bushing if you want to get rid of the rubber ones,,,,,

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:21 am

Cool, I'll see how long the rubber lasts, if not I'll make something in brass for the one by the manifold, thanks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:45 am