VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Ohm?

LVMtnMan
    LVMtnMan

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2013-05-05

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Ohm? Empty Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Ohm?

Post by LVMtnMan Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm at work trying to figure out the best option to fix my fuel gauge problem. This is a learning process and I tend to learn by mistake haha. I installed a new Autometer Z series fuel gauge, along with all the other gauges, and the reading is all jacked up. I'm getting a good signal from the unit itself, but it's not the right Ohm rating. I got ahead of myself and ordered the gauge without even knowing there were different Ohm ratings. The gauge I picked up is a 90* sweep 0-90 Ohm. What is the factory sending unit? Would it be a better option to just get the right gauge, another $50 and easy to install, or replace the sending unit, $40 and a lot more difficult to replace.

NOTE: I don't think the tank has ever been dropped, it sends a good 'signal'
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Ohm? Empty Re: Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Ohm?

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Ford should be 73 ohms EMPTY,,,,,,,,,,,10 ohm FULL,,,,,,,,,,,,0-90 is a Chevy sending unit,,,,,,unless,,,,,yours is worn out and  lies,,,,,,,,AutoMeter hot rod senders are probably 240-33.5 ohms,,,,,did you put 12 volts to it instead of the wonderful 5 volts that Ford uses for its gauges,,,,,,,
    LVMtnMan
    LVMtnMan

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2013-05-05

Post by LVMtnMan Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Yea I put 12 volts to it. I rewired the entire vehicle. the only wire that's original is the little one coming off the sending unit. So either way I'm screwed?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Well,,,,,my Buddy Jesse ran into the same problem when he put a Hot Rod Fuel Gauge in his Dodge Van,,,,,,and a Hot Rod Fuel Sender won't fit a Van,,,,,,,However,,,,,if you transferred the resistance unit and float onto your pick up tube,,,,the system will work,,,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t34550-fuel-tank-sending-unit

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 am