VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
Skulptorchaz
xjamesx
Seth G
Vantasia
Big W
67VanHelsing
Deluxxx
wirepuller
Xelmon
Edoz
mothradeath
BvrWally
jimthefred
panelmanrd
vanny
G-Man
Digz
Joe Van
savage
Viking
suicideking
25 posters

IFS under a 65

wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Empty Re: IFS under a 65

Post by wirepuller Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:54 am

Kick @$$ work you got going on there!! Keep it up. The what-cha-ma-doodle-thingy for the brake booster is ingenious. Love it!

WP
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:19 am

I don't know what the heck you're doing but it sure is fun to watch someone with you're knowledge and abilities!!! Amazing work. Keep the pics coming...Please! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Deluxxx
    Deluxxx

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2015-09-24

Post by Deluxxx Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:47 pm

Just got here. Love what you're doing with your van. I'm doing something very similar on my '64 panel, but way less fancy. Talented guy, keep up the good work.
    67VanHelsing
    67VanHelsing

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2014-03-04

Post by 67VanHelsing Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Very impressive work! Man this thing should be sweet to drive!
    suicideking
    suicideking

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2013-06-13

Post by suicideking Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:06 pm

some updates in the last few months;
    worked out some of the worst body panels. This is new to me and I needed a lot of direction and help

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Front10

mounted the fuel filter on the inside of the intake side rail. serviceable from underneath

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Fuel10

Had the engine completely rebuilt including some paint

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Eng10

reworked the steering brackets and mount to a stiffer finished piece

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Steer10

the rack mounts on top upside down to accommodate the forward mounted steering box

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Steer210

This is one of the finished motor mounts on the motor. I hope to adjust the pinion angle to an ideal spot and then "pin" the mount using the tapped inner holes.
    all in all I didn't make a lot of progress in the last few months but it was "one of those years" for me. work, life, more work...you get the idea. I moved the van out of my work and rented a shop in Mesa. (plenty of room for a roomie if someone wanted to split the space and costs)
    the van has transformed from something to keep me busy, to my lifes work.

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Mount10
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Your van is coming along nicely. Lots of great ideas on this rig. Keep on moving forward and keep those pics coming, it's quite inspiring. cheers
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:38 pm

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Header10
    mounted up the headers. real happy with the fit. The custom bends removed the cat and made the squeeze inside the rails nicely. The ends of the Y tube are swaged to I hope to cut and weld those joints to avoid a bulky clamp

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Intake10
    remounted the intake just to get a sense for how wide the engine would be with both sides bolted together. the alternator wont fit in its traditional spot, I will have to machine a bracket to drop it about 4 inches. I bought a junkyard dog house from the bigger engine ( I am not sure what engine designation that came with but it was about 6 inches longer than my original cover and wider on one side as well. I will need to modify the dog house but only minimally I believe at this point. I also centered the engine so the seats will need some custom mounts as well.

worked on the brake lines. working from the rear forward.
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Hardli10

vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Looks like tons of work and progress being made...Fantastic job! Gonna look Great when it's all said and done! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:03 pm

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Brake_10

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Brake_11

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Brake_12

Finished the brake lines last night. hard lines to the rear crossmember and across the diff. and a separate line to front and across the front subframe. I couldn't find any hold downs that I liked so I machined some simple aluminum clips and tapped the frame for a flush bolt down. I did install residual valves in both systems but not a proportioning valve. With the engine placement I'm hoping to avoid a need to adjust the rear brake power but I did leave a blank run in the rear line if that becomes necessary. I bought the steel for the wheel tubs and planned on starting in the rear as they are not that different then what came with the van originally. Although I hope to achieve a more modern stance, the wheels are not oversized and the drop wont mean I need to push up the tubs (hopefully)  I couldn't get away without notching the rear rails for the differential so the floor will have a cross tunnel between them. not sure how exactly that is going to look. 2016 making progress!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:52 am

Just killer...when this van is finished, definitely national magazine or SEMA show material!
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Driver10

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Pass_d10

test fit the two front doors. not too far off for the amount of body that was/is missing. The roof swap along with a floor replacement had me worried the van would sag or be out of square, but if the doors are any indication its not in too bad of shape.

I replaced all the hinge pins earlier in the build with hardened stainless pins and brass bushings instead of the plastic OE ones. so the hinges really hold their position nicely
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:41 pm

Awesome build. I agree w/ magazine worthy and/or sema. The work your doing on this rig is beyond. The wheels look a little puny in that last pic tho

Is that what it takes to turn low? How low? What are the rim and the tire specs? Looks like 17" x 7 or 8" ~8-9" wide tires w/ a 25.5"-26" diameter?
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:04 am

I want the van to appear "period correct" with a modern stance so I went with a smaller tire/rim combo that would tuck under the front and still fill the wheel well.
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:17 pm

I have  a professional bodyman coming in on the weekends to help me with some of the finer details on the front end. since I was only getting in his way, I decided to make a mess somewhere else on the van.

I really like the look of that triangle window on the handi-vans and passenger vans. mine is a panel so it doesn't have the window. I laid out what I would want it to look like. I centered It in the space of the B-pillar, as my side doors don't have a window, the new triangle window can sit away from the front door and not have an uneven gap side to side. If you look at the layout of a factory triangle window, it is not centered in the pillar.
    the height is the same, but the window is slightly wider as you see here.
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 2img_516

I want to keep the OG profile. I started by laying out the corners on MDF (or HDF) depending on what state you live in. I cut out a 90 and a 70. figuring I can make three 90's and leave one slightly open, and then use the 70 for the short angle.
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 2img_517

jig-sawed the edge, routered the inner section and then laid out the hardware to sandwich them together.
    countersunk the bolts and the T-nuts so can pound on it flush later.
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 2img_518

here is a closeup of the finished buck
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 2img_520

I traced the wooden buck a bit longer than the pattern and cut it out.
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 2img_521
    then a couple of runs in the stretcher, and a few hours of hammering (or it felt like it)
    the piece comes out of the jig for a test run.
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 2img_519

not bad. I made the straight pieces on my brake using a sturdy piece of DOM that matched the profile instead of a clamp and then broke a small return to hold the glass. The corner will need some inner work before its welded to the straight run. The hold down holes will get cut out. One down, three to go!
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Nice work! I love seeing builds like yours. Very inspiring!! As far as those triangle Windows, I love the look of a panel with these installed. I wanted to do that mod to my old panel van but I never got the time before I sold it and moved east. (Now I have a window van)
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:16 am

LOVE the look of the triangle windows on panel vans. Have seen it in the past and they give it that little something extra!!! I only wish I had your talent! You're doing a Fantastic job with this van...Can't wait to see it complete! Well done!!! cheers

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Great work!!!! I really like those side windows as well. I was hopin, somewhere down the line I could find an old Sports van or something with them that i could cut out and put in mine.
    Keep up the great work and pictures!!!
    Chaz
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:49 pm

window project update. sorry the pics are not in chronological order but if you scroll through you will see I finished the outer corners, cut and shaped them to the sides, and then welded the whole thing together. Butt welding thin sheet metal is not my strong suit and not easy IMO. I tried to tack, grind, and hammer to avoid distortion. Question: What filler size and makeup is anyone using for that old metal when TIG welding. I thought .035 ER70s would be the right mix for the old metal but the filler just isn't big enough for my feeding abilities. Anybody running anything bigger than .04??
    As you can see once I got the outer frame done, I made a tray inner structure to hold the glass. I do plan on using some metal filler and polyester and then I think a small rubber profile along the inside edge will finish off any minor imperfections left. I have to tell you; cutting the side of that van was very nerve racking and I had to take a few minutes to talk myself into it before I actually put the wheel to it. But once I started cutting, I was committed at that point. I wanted to be able to place the frame against the body and see how much roll the body has. It has more than I accounted for in my frame and I will need to modify the outer frame body before I cut both pieces and try and butt weld 50 year  old sheet metal to my hammered sheet metal.
    I have a cardboard pattern at the glass guy so I should be able to test fit once I get the frame tacked.

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window18

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window16

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window23

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window17

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window20

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window22

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window24

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window19

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window16

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window20

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Window21
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Post by wirepuller Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:47 am

Wow, thats great work!

WP
    dhuglife
    dhuglife

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2015-09-03

Post by dhuglife Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:11 pm

awesome project keep it going
    Soo fine customs
    Soo fine customs

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2016-09-03

Post by Soo fine customs Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Any new updates on this
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 939
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 am

Wow... if I had a pinch of that talent! Really impressive... what do you do for a living, fabricate rocket ships? The quality in your metal work is very nice. I am amazed at the creativity and workmanship. Wow
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:08 pm

Can’t believe it’s been almost three years since I last posted or worked on the van. Time flies and life happens I suppose. But here we are 😀. I bought a salvage yard EPS electric power steering column and motor From a 2009 Prius and are trying to retrofit into the van

I had set up the rack manual with a gear box out of a Mazda box truck I’ve posted that in another chat. Now I simply have to replace that linkage with this EPS. First thing I did was cut up the column to get a look at the splines. Then machines Where the steering wheel would be to except a double D you joined. The intermediary shaft was more difficult required cutting the splines on the rack machining a sleeve and brazing or welding the replacement Toyota shaft on the rack itself

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 B26d0e10IFS under a 65  - Page 3 B26d0e10
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 E702df10
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Ce25d710

Last edited by suicideking on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    suicideking
    suicideking

Post by suicideking Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:10 pm

Here it is marked up in the van it’s pretty tight fit as my Accelerator pedal and brake pedal are both under the floor as wellIFS under a 65  - Page 3 4a81cb10
    IFS under a 65  - Page 3 Ea115c10
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:43 am

suicideking wrote:IFS under a 65  - Page 3 14131703351_0d0cf92518_cIMG_4385 by suicideking15, on Flickr

IFS under a 65  - Page 3 14135042555_825bf4d7ea_cIMG_4384 by suicideking15, on Flickr

Is this a kit that can be bought or did you make these?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am