VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

First Gen Windshield Weatherstrip Rubber Gasket - options

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

First Gen Windshield Weatherstrip Rubber Gasket - options - Page 2 Empty Re: First Gen Windshield Weatherstrip Rubber Gasket - options

Post by Digz Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:07 am

I ran into a replacement windshield that was originally on the van Gregg got off me. They had cut it to fit a different style of gasket. It looked exactly the same until you tried fitting the "correct' gasket, was cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller all around.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

First Gen Windshield Weatherstrip Rubber Gasket - options - Page 2 Empty Re: First Gen Windshield Weatherstrip Rubber Gasket - options

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:44 pm

I have an old windshield here,,,,,,it measures 24 3/4" high,,,,right up the middle,,,,,,,now length is harder to measure but a diagonal measurement is 59 3/4",,,,,,,so Brannon,,,,,what do you got on that new windshield???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:04 pm

here is another measurement,,,,,,,,put some squares on the ground on the edge of the windshield,,,,,see what you get between them,,,,,

First Gen Windshield Weatherstrip Rubber Gasket - options - Page 2 Dscn6917
    67supervan

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2011-09-20

Post by 67supervan Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Mine is 24.75 x 58.625, maybe even 58.75 inches wide.

I can also see how trimming the glass down a quarter of an inch would make the install much easier.
    67supervan

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2011-09-20

Post by 67supervan Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:35 pm

The glass (24.75x58.625) has been installed using Precision's WBL 653 on my first gen van.

It was pretty easy to see that trying to install the glass dressed with the loose fitting gasket into the metal frame would be the hardest route. So, I installed the gasket into the frame first, then inserted the glass.
    The first try didn't work because I just couldn't get the glass into the first lower corner of the gasket deep enough. For my second try, I approached it with the glass at a good angle and it proved to work out. It took about 5 minutes to get the gasket on the frame and the slack absorbed/compressed. Putting the glass in (with lots of silicone spray in the bottom and side of the gasket) took about 75 minutes, tops. This was done almost entirely outside of the van and with one plastic interior trim removal tool to slide between the rubber and glass.

One thing I noticed between my failed first attempt and the successful attempt was that part of the metal frame was bent outward pretty badly. I pounded it in quickly and it really helped. It was surely a pressure point against the glass beforehand.

I'm going to drive the van a few miles before sealing the gasket to the glass and frame.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm