VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67

67supervan

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2011-09-20

Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67 Empty Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67

Post by 67supervan Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:37 pm

After years of working flawlessly, the I can't turn my key back into the "off" position. I can advance the key to "start" and it will spring back to "on" but it just won't go any further counter clockwise. The key wriggles fairly enough in all directions, but won't pull out or move to the off position. It's not an issue of lubrication. There is a pin sized hole beneath the key slot. I've fished around inside it with a paper clip and it seems pretty useless.
    I've disconnected the battery for the meantime...

Any ideas??? Has this happened to you before?
    Randall711
    Randall711

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2013-07-29

Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67 Empty Re: Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67

Post by Randall711 Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:35 am

I just replaced my ign switch and I can tell you that the paper clip hole helps you to install the switch. I don't think it will make your key turn back to the off position tho. The original switch I had wouldn't work right either and as I fiddled with it, it burst into pieces and I was forced to replace it. Does sound like you need a new switch. If you do replace it napa sells them but I would unplug it and bring it with you to match it up. I have a 67 but they used a 66 switch from the factory on my van so I first got the wrong one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67 Empty Re: Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:51 am

Well I would say,,,,,,,you are STUCK,,,,,,,a pin in the tumbler is probably broken,,,,,the bezel holds the Ignition switch in,,,,,the key cylinder usually holds the bezel on,,,,,but if the bezel comes off over the key cylinder, you get off easy,,,,now if  the key cylinder has to come out,,,,,,you turn the key to the left until it stops,,,,here it is ACC,,,,,then you put a paper clip in the hole to unlock the cylinder and turn it one more click to the left to remove it,,,,,,unless you are STUCK,,,,,then,,,you keep drilling bigger holes in the cylinder until the cylinder comes out,,,,,and you probably will destroy the ignition switch in the process,,,,,you might as well just take vice grips and try and turn the key to ACC and hope you can unlock the cylinder before you start doing some major surgery on it,,,,,

Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67 Ign_cy10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:52 pm

stop by an OLD!! Locksmith & ask?=my bet is you will need to drill or use a slide hammer on the actial turnable part with a screw type puller on it also -Then replace the entire unit again.affraid 
    67supervan

Post by 67supervan Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi Randall711 - Macsautoparts.com only lists one ignition switch for the econolines. I'm not sure what I should do if you had troubles.
    Donivan65 and twinpilot - can the new cylinder be rekeyed to match??
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:40 pm

My best guess is =yes-YET!??= possibly by an old key shop guy.
    Randall711
    Randall711

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2013-07-29

Post by Randall711 Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:35 pm

67supervan wrote:Hi Randall711 - Macsautoparts.com only lists one ignition switch for the econolines.  I'm not sure what I should do if you had troubles.
    Donivan65 and twinpilot - can the new cylinder be rekeyed to match??
    There is a few options from my understanding, if I remember correctly there is a 3 prong and a 4 prong for the back of the switch also I believe there was a few different pattern 3 prong switches
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 pm

I pulled the ignition cylinder out of my buddys 67 today,,,,you need to be worried about removing that cylinder without destroying the bezel,,,,I would not be using a slide hammer on a dash,,,,,,a locksmith might be able to slide a special tool in that cylinder to allow the cylinder to turn to ACC and be removed,,,,,,,they can install new pins in a cylinder to match the key that fits the doors if you want it that way,,,,,,

Ignition Key Stuck in "on" position - 67 Steve_15
    67supervan

Post by 67supervan Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey Guys,
    After looking at pics of the bezel on mac's, I tried to loosen it from the ignition. I messed around enough to get the key free, and that's all I needed. The cylinder is out, have a new one ready, but will try to rekey it first. I've rekeyed a door lock before on the van, but it's tricky.
    Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am