VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
Gothboy
jrinaman
kookykrispy
Digz
panelmanrd
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
RipVanArkie
ncbkr2002
13 posters

wider front axle for a 69 g10

ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

wider front axle for a 69 g10 Empty wider front axle for a 69 g10

Post by ncbkr2002 Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 pm

im looking for a front axle for my 69 g10. im putting 17 inch rims on it and they have a 6.25 inch back spacing but i need my front axle 3 inches wider ..... any suggestions other than using 1.5 inch wheel spacers ? i had though of cutting the axle and welding up a new axle to make it the 3 inches i need. i am going to use a 4th gen camaro/firebird rearend to get them on the back the rims i have now are 15 inches with 3.5 inch back spacing AND i have at least 2 inches of clearence so i figure the 3.5 inches on the rims plus 1.5 inches of clearence equals 5 inches but the new rims have 6.25 back spacing so if i had to use 1.5 inch wheel spacers that could give me what i need but i dont want to use them if theres another way .... thanks in advance guys !!
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

wider front axle for a 69 g10 Empty Re: wider front axle for a 69 g10

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:22 am

The wheel spacer would be safer than cutting an axle.  You might check out some step van axles and see if they have the width you need.  Thry the stepvan thread at the HAMB.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282902&highlight=step+van+thread&page=1

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 am

I get curious as to when anyone  wants to extend any wheel  further out?????????????
    for what reason? looks? Ive seen many with trucks that have extended wheels & all just sling debris outside & ruin the paint & trim anyways. Its not for any stabilization of a wider trac or  vehicle roll?  Maybe i just see things diff &  am clueless?? Style?? beauty? Purpose? Im not ever knocking anyones choices at all-i just dont understand why?? If a wider trac is wanted -get the proper wheels as any manuf will make them usually. IF not -id ask why didnt they??
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:55 am

Twin, he's considering a wheel with a lot of positive offset.
    This means if bolted up as-is (without clearance issues) the width or track is actually going to get narrower.

You have to look at where the pivot for the steering ends up. You want it as close to the center of the tire footprint as possible.
    I couldn't find a straight axle drawing, but this one should show the idea.
    wider front axle for a 69 g10 Fig-5
    If you just get a wider axle with a positive offset wheel, it will move the pivot outside of the center of the tire.
    I'd agree that a proper spacer is the right way to go with a modern positive offset wheel.
    wider front axle for a 69 g10 Wheel-Diagram

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:09 am

true rod i understand all that = what im get at is why just settle for that wheel instead of finding a wheel that actually fits the purpose hes wanting to accomplish?weve all been thru with heres whats available ive found on sale yet now how can i use it?? As = experiences has taught me over the years is do it right the 1st time -get the correct parts to be safe & do the job & dont mess aroung with safety items>.it will bit us in the butts usually!affraid 
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am

sometimes we fall into a deal on something that we like the look of but just doesn`t fit, and we try oh so hard to make it fit whatever the cost cause the part we like the look of was cheap.
    I think they call that a vanner thing.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:30 pm

When I first started building mine I ran across a cool set at a yard sale. Mucho backspacing, they actually hit the shocks before they bottomed out on the hub. You may run into several stoppers or head scratchers, one is you won't be able to turn it enough to steer, the other is by spacing them out it throws the outer turn radius of the tire into the wheel arch. Its not just the wheel but the tire adding to the issues.
    ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Number of posts : 140

Post by ncbkr2002 Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:49 pm

i got the rims and new tires for $50 off of a 2005 GTO plus if i widen everything ill have a wider stance and be more stable plus im droppin in a 350 with a 700r4 and a 3.73 posi .... drop it about 3 inches all the way around .... lookin for attitude from my van .....
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

I don't think there is any easy way to make those fit on the front
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 am

i have went down this road on other vehicles. save $500.00 on a set of cool wheels, and spend a thousand to make them work. smartest move would be to sell them and buy something else.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:31 am

Havent we all at one time or another??Sad Mad scratch 
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:50 am

This.  This is why I run almost all steel wheels on almost all my vehicles. Because no matter what offset Im looking for, or what axle width im "stuck" with, the shop by my place will make me custom offset wheels for REAL reasonable. That "offsets" any funky things going on with any vehicle Im working on, and theres ALWAYS tons of center cap trim ring options to make them all seem different.

Save a few bucks and buy more gas for a nice long scenic drive somewhere. Have fun!
    freakNeck
    freakNeck

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by freakNeck Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:true rod i understand all that = what im get at is why just settle for that wheel instead of finding a wheel that actually fits the purpose hes wanting to accomplish?weve all been thru with heres whats available ive found on sale yet now how can i use it?? As = experiences has taught me over the years is do it right the 1st time -get the correct parts to be safe & do the job & dont mess aroung with safety items>.it will bit us in the butts usually!affraid 
    Some of us never learn from experience.

(This isn't safety related, but....)

I've got nearly all the parts I need for my van. It was converted to a 4 x 4 when I bought it, using a set of 1/2 Chevy axles off a Blazer or pickup. Soon after purchase, I bought a set of 4 rims for it....old-skool 6 lug aluminum Cragar Turbines that used to be so popular, and  a set of 31" tires.

Now, you don't know me, so I'll tell you, I don't care what-so-ever about having the  "correct" OEM (-style) parts on any of my projects. The way I feel about it, is why would I want everything to be "original", what's the sense in that, as it doesn't show off anything "me"...at all.

So when I ran across a rear axle from a 2003 Silverado on C/L with disc brakes, I was intrigued. How many early vanners have disc-brake rear axles? Of course, the price was too high originally, at $350. I didn't want to invest in it for $300+, as I'd need to (want to) replace the rotors, calipers, e-brake shoes and pads, which added up to about $250 on it's own....I've already got the brake-drum rearend tha tis still good, doesn't need drums, so I'd blast those, and do a spring/hardware kit, which would have cost far less total with no base cost for the rearend and the parts would cost less.

Fast forward 6 months...the axle hasn't sold, it's kind of an oddball ratio...as far as modern Chevy pickups go....and the price is now down to $125.

So, I finally bite the bullet, and decided, I want this rear end. At $125 + parts, I now see it as being reasonably priced for my budget, even having to buy an adjustable prop. valve, rather than just use the standard one that I have that was on the older Chevy 1/2 tons with solid axle disc front w/drum rears.

When I went to check it out however, I knew, so I took one of my rims with it. I didn't measure anything first, first I checked to see of the rim fit...and it didn't. The later Chevy trucks came with 16" wheels, and these Turbine rims are 15"....the caliper didn't clear...by like 3/32's of an inch.

So I passed. I have these Turbine rims. I wanted these Turbine rims, I'm going to use these Turbine rims. Sure......I could sell them and the tires, and get some new 16" rims, but.....

Someone else in/near my area (Western NY) may want to sheck out this axle....it's a great deal...

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/search/pta?query=axle&zoomToPosting=&minAsk=&maxAsk=
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Not too many original thoughts left to be had so when you have one, hold on to it, it may be your last and only!

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Wheel spacers are going to be the cheapest way out. Sids drop axles(on the internet) has a chart on straight axles, you might find something with a little extra width. Antoher thing to think about is the extra width is going to make it a B^7ch to turn.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:49 pm

ncbkr2002 wrote:i got the rims and new tires for $50 off of a 2005 GTO plus if i widen everything ill have a wider stance and be more stable plus im droppin in a 350 with a 700r4 and a 3.73 posi .... drop it about 3 inches all the way around .... lookin for attitude from my van .....
    This all the attitude I need, hehehe

wider front axle for a 69 g10 67_wow14
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619

Post by Joe Van Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 pm

I own a brake and tire shop in Florida and been in the business 32 years I know we all have good intentions and try to find the Cheapest and Best way out but the axles were made to fit that Van from the factory for a reason... The Camaro,Gto,and Firebird, all have a 6 to 7 inch back spacing almost as much as a front wheel drive car and might work with spacers but the drive-ability will be highly affected and will be a lot of strain on the wheel bearings. Spacers are intended for off road use only and you have a GOOD chance of the lug nuts coming loose or breaking the studs the cheapest and safest way out in the long run is get the right rims for the van and save a future disaster from happening.!!!! either way...........GOOD LUCK.Smile ........

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am