VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100

bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100 Empty Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100

Post by bugeye bob Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Has anyone had trouble shifting, sometimes I can drive for miles and have no trouble shifting, sometimes I can pull out of driveway and it won't shift from first to second. I stop at end of street go up front reach in grill and jiggle the two shift bars till they free up. I will get back in and go through the shift pattern with no problem I may drive for miles without a problem may go a few feet and may not shift again, any clues ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100 Empty Re: Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:50 pm

It depends on what you mean by won't shift. Does the shifter go up into neutral, then down, then up into 2nd? The shift levers need to be even at the grille in neutral for 1 thing. And the way the system works is you pul it up and back into 1st, then you push the shifter to neutral, it drops down to the 2nd and 3rd lever, then you choose the gear. If anything is out of wack, like loose levers on the trans, worn out grommets on either end of the shift rods or those levers are out of adjustment, you will get hung up between gears. Another test to see if the clutch or transmission are the problem is to get to the point where you are stuck between gears, hold it there, shut the engine off, and see if goes into the gear,,,,,sometimes when the clutch or trans are turning, they can stop you from shifting gears.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100 Empty Re: Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100

Post by bugeye bob Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Thank doni, actually when its not running and I do a dry shift it shift great it is when its running down the road where it hangs up but not always.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Another problem is that you got 2 levers on the trans, each has 3 click positions on them, middle is neutral. If either the 1st/Reverse lever or the 2nd /3rd lever does not go back COMPLETELY into neutral, the other lever can't operate. And there are detent lock outs in the transmission that make the 3 positions click and hold there positions. You could be cruising along in 3rd and then the reverse lever on the trans falls out of its neutral and it jams up the system. Or 1st don't go back into its neutral and that stops 2nd from moving into its position. Just check and see if the levers at the grille are EXACTLY even in neutral, then go back to the trans and shake the rods and levers at the trans and see if there is any slop. It should be tight. But stuff wears out. And shift both levers at the trans and see if each lever clicks and stays where you put them. And you will see, one lever ALWAYS has to be in neutral for the other to work. And then you can start keeping track of where in the operation the trouble seems to be. But if I had to guess, 1st gear is not returning to its neutral position on its own, which stops 2nd from moving until you wiggle the 1st gear rod and it finds its neutral at the trans,,,,,,,,,
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the help doni will try that tommorrow , also plan to see if NAPA can get me some new bushings . I'm sure after 43 years they may be a little worn if they haven't been replaced recently.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:36 pm

OK heres my horrifing remidy, .... shift with athority, the rubber gromets are gone on my 3spd, 65 sportsman tranny.its never locked up on me, but ive allways been a little agressive on a 3 on the tree sinse owning a ford f100 that allways locked up when shifting 1st to 2nd. allways seemed to shift into 2nd when you held a grudge! does any one make new gromets for our As?
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Wow that thick gasket that hold the two rods apart came lose from its bracket, ( really need a new one) I put some new screws and some washers to hold it in place what a difference. We cruised to get pizza tonight never hung up, And got tons of looks. May cruise up to Sonic drive in for a burger tommorrow. Donnie thanks again for your advice that is what I checked first

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:20 am

There is also a grease fitting at the bottom of the column where shift linkage attaches. It's accessible through the grille. Shoot some grease in there and that will help too.

Not sure if bushings from a Mopar car or pickup truck will work or not on an A-100. I can't imagine Dodge would create special bushings for the A's.

I had a '65 A-100 p/u with 318/3spd. It locked up on me in traffic. My fix was to swap in an automatic. Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:04 pm

You might have to make some bushings. I would measure the hole that it goes in, get a rubber grommet that goes like into firewalls for wires, then make a spacer out of copper tubing or something if the rod is loose in the grommet. Just get the slop out. Also check all the rod ends to see if they have grooves worn into them.......

Trouble shift three on tree Dodge A100 Repair37
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:29 pm

i had this same problem, what happened is when it goes to shift it locks both linkage bars together so it is trying to put it in reverse and second at the same time, all i did was slow down and make sure the lever drops all the way before pushing it up i dont know how to explain what happens better but all i know it that it does it if the shifter does not drop all the way, you can un do it by pulling the shifter up while it is in the second place and pulling it back into first that should free it up with out you having to get out

hope this helps some
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 am

try door hinge pin bushings. there is different sizes and some might be close. by the look of the linkage above some welding is in order and some grinding and filing.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Post by bugeye bob Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:56 pm

Since the repair I had one mishap between first and second but I pulled over downshifted and had no other problem, shifting from second to third it just glides into gear. I keep checking local yards for A100's I got a list and it gets longer everyday and its not parts I need now but want to have my own lttle stockpille for later.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm

As a machinist, i wanted to make new bushing and new shifter kit, because my first 1965 van had this chronic problem and i had no tools and knowledge at the time( was 18) i was scared to drive it, no parts!! ...so this winter, for my 1966, i want to take the old shifter out and make the new one, so all the bushing will be new, i allready made the clutch pivot bushing, it cleard all the noise while i was pushing the clucht, and it gived it some more play.....by the way if anyone interested for shifter kits,or some other bushings, let me know, its always easier and cheaper when the set up are done once...or if anyone has the parts specs(plans)of the shifters, i would do it earlier....

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:57 pm

i made a fairlead block that screws to the webbing on the econo where the shift rods go through. i made it out of u.h.m.w. plastic. its that white stuff that cutting boards and stuff are made out of. another great plastic for this is the grey-black molybedenum enriched stuff, or the blue oil impregnated plastic. once you install the guide block which is just a rectangle of material with two holes, smear some grease on the rods where they contact the block and it will be a very long time before you need to replace the fairlead. at the transmission, you may notice that the rods are walking around in the hammered out shift horns. just build up a shim stack of washers to lessen the play. between these two things you may notice a huge improvement in the shifting. another problem i had was that there is a little sheetmetal hat section under the steering wheel that stabilizes the end of the vertical shifting rod. on my van it was broken in half so i welded it back together and was able to shift into reverse without punching out the windscreen. hope this helps, its good to have a helper shift the gears while you are under the van checking for bent members, interference, and play in the system. peace steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am