VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+27
Vannin Ken
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
jfox
dix
wylee
Big W
ScottyJones
SteelyVan
Scotts_A100
VANagain
Leftcoast65
rustybug13
sandyvan
back2thewoods
donivan65
millwright71
G-Man
Digz
vanny
Wheelie
the_surfing_guy
HandiVanMan
Twinpilot001
Gothboy
Joe Van
Axlejack
Dirtstar1
31 posters

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2013-05-24

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by Dirtstar1 Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks Scott, what did you use on your drip rails?
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by Dirtstar1 Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:41 pm

I gotta say, today I did the bubble wrap NASA insulation inside the doghouse lid. Then I went around the perimeter with 3/8 by 3/8 foam window seal. Those two things together work awesome. It not only quieted down the engine noise and took out 99% of the smells. As for the heat, it's 20 degrees different from the lid to the front of the doghouse. 

Next I need to seal up the battery box and the automatic step. That I should get all the engine smells out of the cockpit. 

That being said, I went for my longest drive today. I actually got into 3rd gear! Since I'm still running on a 1 gallon can I only went about 8 miles. The radiator tank never got over 120, and the thermostat opens right on 160. Since I got some time behind the wheel. I got to listen to the exhaust pipe a bit. It really sounds like a bent or burnt valve.  I get a puff of white smoke between shifts. That tells me the guides are prolly shot too. I might do the head just to see if I can buy some time before a rebuild. 

In other news, I drained the oil and it was black but didn't have any metal in it or hints of coolant or raw fuel. Next was the radiator. I pulled the plug on it and it was dirty but not contaminated with oil. Just rust. 

All in all a good day in the van world.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 am

Sounds like your on your way bro! Keep it up! Smile
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:46 am

Who  rebuilds the cylinder heads here in San Diego with good results?
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Dirtstar1 wrote:Thanks Scott, what did you use on your drip rails?
    I can't for the life of me recall the name, it is a two part (twin tube) seam sealer. I'll get the name tomorrow when I'm out working on the van and post it tomorrow night. Scott...
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks Scott.

So today's drive took us to the car wash where I climbed underneath and tried to reduce the amount of road grime. Well the pressure washer didn't have what it takes to get nearly 50 years of road dirt off. After that I filled up the tank. It took .7 lol nearly empty. After my top off I, the van took me  to der weinerschnitzel. It's as if the van new I needed a chili dog. 

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-111
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:14 am

That's known as the Donivan Effect! LOL To counter the post chilli dog effects within the confines of the van's cab afterwards, one must install a "hamburger fan" to help reduce the odors! But seriously, if you look at the Surfer Guy thread, there is a section that addresses the smells created when a van is shut down after driving a while and the heat generated under the doghouse can percolate the fuel in the carb. Installing a fan with a timer switch to circulate air flow around the motor for a set time after the van is shut down can help alleviate those issues. If you haven't already read it, it's worth the time.

Van looks great out on the road where it belongs!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

Post by the_surfing_guy Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:57 am

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 am

The fan is not a bad idea. If for no other reason; I noticed the van is hard to start when hot. I opened the lid, let out the hot air and it started right up. As for the Donovan effect, the van seemed to break down forcing me into the parking lot. After eating it was fine! Lol
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 pm

The seaker that I used is 3M 03807. Here is a link to the 3M site on the product. You do have to work rather quick with it as it is a two part sealer as I mentioned earlier. Another option is a urethane seam sealer which I've used too. Your choice. Scott...

The link to the 3M site with info on the sealer:

http://3mcollision.com/products/sealants/3m-self-leveling-seam-sealer-08307.html
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks Scott that stuff sounds pretty official. 

Today I had really strange day. Since I keep getting more and more brave driving an unregistered vehicle around I decided to goto the DMV to get the registration rolling. So I jumped on my KTM and headed to the DMV straight after work.  The paperwork was straight forward from the tow yard. I had a legit title in the tow yards name from the lean they had on it. So I paid the fees, I got my 30 day temp permit and headed out. I stuffed my most prized paperwork in my jacket and swing a leg over the 690 supermoto. I hit the start button it starts to crank and the battery shorts out.... If you didn't know, most new dirt bikes are fuel injection. Without a battery there is no fuel pressure. So I got off and started pushing. I pushed for about a mile where I got to a big hill and coasted to 30 mph and got it started. Once on flat ground I could not maintain fuel pressure from the stator only so I was back to pushing. By this time my girlfriend showed up on her bike and we traded places so I could push her on the Ktm while I rode her WR250x (also injected lol) I managed to push her 50 mph in traffic the whole way home. Hungry tired and sweaty I mustered up enough energy to tape the temperary tag in the back window. That's it, I'm done for the night.

Tomorrow I'm back on the gas tank. I got some cutting and welding to do then build some tank straps. Ill get all that done Friday night so I can install it sat morning. 

Oh, did I mention I ordered an inline proportioner valve for the rear brakes? Even after adjusting all the shoes, it still locks the rear brakes first. So I'm going to tune the brakes to not skid at all if I can. " drums are kinda finicky"
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 pm

With yesterday's combination of errors, today had to be better. Lol since my commuter bike was broke, 
    I walked outside, upgraded my one gallon can to a 6 gallon can and headed off to work. With the attitude of, if I don't make it to work it wasn't meant to be. This would be my furthest drive yet. 15 miles one way. So I hit the gas station and off I went. Being that this was the first time on the freeway I finally got to flatten it a bit. The tired old van really likes 57mph. The fastest I saw on the gauge 62mph. Later checking the speedo with the GPS I found the stock speedo was slow by 8 mph. This meant I really saw 70. The more I drive it the more I really want to invest in king pins. After successfully arriving at work I watched a bit of coolant  drip out of the overflow hose. So at break time I fashioned a coolant bottle out of a Gatorade bottle and a zip tie. Mainly so I can keep an eye on things. I didn't get my tank parts cut out today but I did take advantage of the turning lathe. I was missing the intermediate extension between the carb and air cleaner. So I just made one. Here are some pics.

This is my quicky way to gat a carb stud.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-116

Notice the recess in the tube for the carb
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-115

Notice the top recess for the air box lid.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-114

And here it is all together. Since I never seen a stock one, how could I be wrong! Lol
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-117
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Question, has anyone used a weber carb on the inline 6? My carter is completely worn out. I was thinking something like this progressive 2 barrel. So we don't loose that torque but gain some hp in the upper RPM's

http://bit.ly/15aGXVH
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:29 am

I'm planning on using a 32/36. My mechanic buddy recommended I use one of these so it can breath. Will put a K&M style tube intake that goes over the valve cover and face down behind distributor.

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/application_guide/DGV_Snorkle.htm
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:55 am

What are you planning on doing for the adapter from manifold to carb? I'm thinking of making one. Then last night I was up all night researching a DIY throttle body injection from the 4.3 chevy.  Regardless I would still need an adaptor for 2 barrel
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:42 am

I'm going to use this

http://stoveboltengineco.com/catalog/store/#!/~/product/category=361512&id=1222023

and one of these

http://stoveboltengineco.com/catalog/store/#!/~/product/category=361513&id=1222036

and a set of these

http://stoveboltengineco.com/catalog/store/#!/~/product/category=412417&id=1395980

My (new to me) 250 has been decked and bored-over so it'll probably really like (I hope) the carb and header combo. Jrinaman sold me this motor (thanks again John!) and thinks the upgrade should work great. I have read through threads on the Stovebolt Engine Co. site and seen some of Tom Langdon suggestions for customers and the positive replies. This guy knows his stuff!

SV
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 am

The inline 6 is very addicting. I'm really tempted to mess with it but all I'm after is fuel economy. I find that the faster we make things go the harder  we continually push them. Next thing you know we are back to 12 mpg and still driving a slow vehicle by modern standards. 

On the flip side, if a modern carb and free flow header make my engine more efficient, then I'm all for it! Lol 

Did you look at the stuff they are doing on 12bolt.com? They are 6 cylinder chevy crazy and have some cool air flow modifications.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:49 pm

I mounted my proportioner valve today. It's inline to the rear. It still locks the brakes even when it's all the way set. If I pump the brakes it acts more correct. I think next ill add a one way valve to the front brakes to keep the front pressure up. That should simulate the pumping of the brakes. I do have to admit, the front shoes and drums appear to be timed out. The rear shoes and drums seem new.... Anyways, here is my valve install.

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-120

Knob peeping into the doghouse so you don't have to get up to adjust it.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-118

Last but not least, can someone explane the anomaly of how the pressure radiator cap gets the water back out of the coolant overflow tank? 

Here is my overflow tank. Lol
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-119
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Dirtstar, have you got one of these service manuals yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Chevrolet-Van-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-Supplement-/251295878456?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item3a8266cd38&vxp=mtr

A wealth of information and images about our 1st Gen vans, for just $15. A must-have.

Hey, I love your McGyver overflow bottle! There's no need for us to be leaving puddles of coolant everywhere we go when it can be remedied so easliy. And I too would like to know how the heck the coolant ever gets sucked back into the radiator.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks vanagain, I monitor the coolant bottle closely and it works! Lol it fascinates me. Ill check out that manual.

So now for the latest update.

I did new drums and shoes on the front of the van. They are tight! With the adjuster all the way in the brakes barely turn. So I hope the loosen up soon as they break in. As for the engine. It looks like its on its last legs. Running on 5 cylinders, smoking all the time, and a rear main seal that drips solid the whole time driving, the van uses 3 quarts of oil every 100 miles. Amazingly enough, the van manages 20 mpg! Maybe cause I baby it so much cause I hate to walk. Lol

This opens up the next topic... I want to a modern engine upgrade. The theme of this build has always been modern retro. Since the van came with a inline 6 I've picked out an inline chevy 6 from the trailblazer. The 4200 atlas LL8 is twin cam all aluminum and 291 hp. It's coupled to a 4L60e and is easily converted to stand alone. This should be smooth, quiet, and quick. Not to mention a great fit in the 6 cyl dog house. If you'd like to know more about the atlas family of engines here is a link.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Not a lot has been getting done on the van lately since I'm waiting on parts. So I went ahead and installed a set of hella H4 conversion bulbs in the van. It's a tremendous upgrade from the stock bulbs, and they look cool too.

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-122

That night I took the ST90 to downtown for a ride with my friends. This would be the first actual payload for the van other than its own parts.

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-123
    Look period correct in there?
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Way cool! Love to see a pic of the headlights at night. The little Honda looks right at home.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:51 pm

Will do. Tonight I wanna get them all dialed in so ill goto a dark alley and take some pics. Right meow they are too low so high beam is about right for regular driving.

Ya, it's as if the van was designed to haul a motorcycle
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Question to the chevy guys, did any of the vans have a trip meter on the gauge cluster? I know it's nerdy but I like to reset the trip every fill up for mileage.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 pm

As requested I took some pics of the hella H4 replacements.

Here is the cool pattern it buys on the ground.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-125

Notice the asymmetrical pattern so you don't blinde opposing traffic
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-127

Not dim at all
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-126

Low beam
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-129

High beam
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 7 Null-128

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm