VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
G-Man
Old Skool
RodStRace
NoBiggie
8 posters

Picture of my bent axle..Repairable?

NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Picture of my bent axle..Repairable? Empty Picture of my bent axle..Repairable?

Post by NoBiggie Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Got my axle and leaf springs off today. Guess they were right, it is bent. Can this be straigtened or should I get a replacement? Will it be weak if it's worked on?

Picture of my bent axle..Repairable? Bentaxle
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Picture of my bent axle..Repairable? Empty Re: Picture of my bent axle..Repairable?

Post by RodStRace Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Forged axles like yours can be straightened. Try semi truck repair places locally. Have them check/fix the kingpins too.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Picture of my bent axle..Repairable? Empty Re: Picture of my bent axle..Repairable?

Post by Old Skool Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Like RodStRace said it is completely straight enable, Only issue is finding someone with a press large enough? it looks like it got tagged pretty good. Spilled coffee in someones crotch on that one. The force needs to be reversed that bent it, meaning finding the right points to rebend it. That might be easier to do with someone with a large metal bending machine as IF you can talk them into it, you could spread the support points as far as they need to be away from each other? they can come down on it slowly with the right machine. If not, and the king pins are gone also,, ANY axle from 61 to 67 is the same, the difference is in the spindles which you already have if you need to go that way.
    Old Skool
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 am

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 am

Nice find G -man

Post by NoBiggie Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks for the advice. I have the CL ad saved, gonna call and see if he will ship. That's usually the problem. I may offer him more $$$ plus shipping if he hesitates. I would rather have a straight original than a repair, but will do what I have to. I will let you know!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 am

Buying a used one can be tricky as well, Ive had to rehab two axles because the kingpin holes were worn out egg shaped, ie new kingpins and bushing didn't fix the problem, I had one sleeved and replaced another. A "good" replacement is your best bet.
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Post by NoBiggie Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

The CL axle was sold. So I am going to try locally first to get it straightened. Will let you know how it goes.

Having a good time getting under the van and getting my hands dirty taking off the axle, leaf springs and shocks. I was wondering why there was always a thread about fighting a bolt because everything was coming off pretty easy. UNTIL I got to the driver side front leaf spring bolt.

Now I was glad I bought the bushing tool, lot's of PB, impact wrench and big hammer. Didn't have heat, so I worked it over a few hours and finally got the sucker loose. YES!

Sounds crazy I know, but this is a guy that has never even changed oil before. It's nice to actually get underneath and see what does what.

Thanks to everyone who posts here with help and suggestions. I have read back through posts a couple years old that have helped a bunch!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 am

also = from my experience - look for an older man thats ben doing alignments forever !! he has great experiences with that usually. Motor Homes still use these axles just like big semis also . Ive got a guy here thats like that & aligns everything known to man for 35 bux & ive seen hil straightenen axles there also .
    flyinlow
    flyinlow

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2013-01-04

Post by flyinlow Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 am

PM sent

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am