VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

66 slant six dipstick length?

Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

66 slant six dipstick length? Empty 66 slant six dipstick length?

Post by Wheelie Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 am

So I way overfilled my '66 A100 slant six due to what I believe to be the incorrect dipstick on my engine. I am needing to know the dipstick length from the tube seal under the handle to the bottom tip so I can compare and find one. HELP PLEASE! Thanks!

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8724
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

66 slant six dipstick length? Empty Re: 66 slant six dipstick length?

Post by dix Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Wheelie did you find any info if you had a stock oil pan on there.?? does the dip stick hit the bottom of the pan.??. The dip stick should go down to about 1/4 inch from the pan. Some times the seal or the stop on the dip stick came lose and moved giving you a false reading.

Post by Wheelie Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:19 pm

It has the wrong dipstick. I found one on feebay and got it. The seller said it is 22" from the seal to the tip. Mine was about 18" That is 4 inches longer then the dipstick that's in it now so I assume that's the problem. I will measure the new
    One when it arrives and compare the two. I should also have my factory manual arriving any day now.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14774
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:54 pm

That's the problem with buying something older like these vans. You never know what may have been changed in those many years. Sounds like you caught this one in time and once you get the service manual, hopefully it will give you all the info you need, or at least most of it!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8724
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm

go to the local hardware store buy a piece of 1/16 inch steel or alluninum solid rod or wire 3' long slide that down the dipstick tube till it hits the oil pan back it off a 1/4 inch and mark the top of the tube that should be the leanth of the dipstick you need. if that matches up with one you bought then at least you know it's correct. you can allways cut down one that is to long and make your own marks. Or add a piece of rubber hose to hold the stick out to the correct leanth.

Post by Wheelie Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Those are some good tips thanks! I did get my factory manual today and it states that both 170 and 225 takes 5 qts including filter. Glad I got it figured out quickly.
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Post by Wheelie Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:23 pm

So I finally got a correct length dipstick to reference. Mine is way too short as you can see in the pic. The correct original dipstick is on the bottom at 21.5 inches from base of handle to tip .66 slant six dipstick length? Photo_zps9c98f8df
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 am

I could measure mine tonight, it's a 64 with the LG 170. Would that help?
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Post by Wheelie Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 am

Thx but I already got it figured out in the previous post.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am

Wheelie: Semi related post.

A neighbor of mine doesnt have alot of car knowledge, and as such wasnt really able to pass any to his son when he got his first car. The kid wants to be a rice racer with his used civic so he decided to put racing oil in it. Didnt know how much to put in so he bought a case of it. Took it home, drained the motor oil, filled it....and then the car wouldnt start. Looked and looked and couldnt figure out why.

Teh answer: Turns out the dipstick has an "add" line, and next to the add line is the words "add" closely followed by "x quart capacity" When it got to the line they added x quarts, filling the engine to the top. Just goes to show that sometimes even the correct dipstick isnt very helpful. Smile

As long as you're "vehicle educated" you can find and fix almost anyproblem your van might have...especially since its how many years old? Smile Kep it rockin amigo!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am