VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

water pump stock or high flow??

Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

water pump stock or high flow?? Empty water pump stock or high flow??

Post by Buzzard Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Running a warmed over 302 v-8, stock water pump and a 240 stock radiator. 5 blade flex fan out of a mid ford and a electric fan hooked up in front of radiator, 180 degree stat. Running 200 degrees but when coming to stop lights starts to climb so elec fans goes on and just barely maintains it under 210-215. Would aftermarket water pump stating 30 to 40% more flow help even more???? Any body running a high flow water pump?? Likes Dislikes
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

water pump stock or high flow?? Empty Re: water pump stock or high flow??

Post by dix Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Yes i'm running a high volume pump. but call jegs os sumitt racing ang buy a high volume stat as well or you are defeating the purpose. and yes i did notice a temp drop.

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:05 pm

When I do mine, gonna go with FlowKooler high flow Very Happy Very Happy
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 pm

With both fans trying to maintain 180 degrees, and it won't??? something definitely not working right. Either your water pump is shot or your radiator must have some plugged rows in it (especially if it is stock), or both. Have you taken the rad in for cleaning? if not I would try that first and then a new water pump. My radiator has the 240 tanks and side brackets and a new 3 core rad that the rad shop made for me. Best money I ever spent. I am running a 350/350 combo and mine runs at 180 no problem. Also has new water pump as well and Taurus electric fan. Water pump is not high flow just stock replacement. Also when thermostat opens water goes into rad then stat closes when it's cool enough to close and then repeats itself as needed. The radiator needs time to cool that fluid before the stat reopens. And if it's plugged up it can't cool it good enough. Adding a high flow water pump may be a waist of money. I would take a good look at that rad and make sure it's not pluged up inside first. Just my thoughts on cooling issues.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm