VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
HandiVanMan
68G10
6 posters

Interesting info on locking gas cap part no.

68G10
    68G10

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-09-25

Interesting info on locking gas cap part no. Empty Interesting info on locking gas cap part no.

Post by 68G10 Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 am

Hey everyone, just wanted to bring something I recently learned to everyone's attention. I was at the local auto shop throwin part umbers around, tryin to find a few things when the guy behind the counter realized that Stant number 11491 is actually the same gas cap as Stant number 10491! Only the packaging is different... That's right, the part number is specific not only to the cap itself, but to the type of packaging used.

The parts store had this cap in stock for under 15 bucks. It fits perfectly, looks identical, and comes with 2 keys. Mine (10491) came in a cardboard box whereas the guy said 11491 (The one listed on the parts locator page) was either a plastic packaging or "strip" packaging I cant remember which now.

Anyway I hope this helps someone find what they need in stock locally...

Peace,
    Brian
    68G10
    68G10

Interesting info on locking gas cap part no. Empty Re: Interesting info on locking gas cap part no.

Post by 68G10 Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:25 am

So what needs to happen to get this added to the parts locator?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Interesting info on locking gas cap part no. Empty Re: Interesting info on locking gas cap part no.

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Every locking gas cap that I have tried on my van built up pressure in the tank & caused the engine to run bad. I have tried just about every one available with all of the same out come. I dont think how ever that I have tried this one. Can you check it after driving your van a while & see if it has pressure when you unlock the cap and remove it?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 pm

That's the one we use,,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting info on locking gas cap part no. Capps10
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm

@HandiVanMan
    No problems here running that cap Smile
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:46 am

Cool I will try one out.
    68G10
    68G10

Post by 68G10 Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm

donivan65 wrote:That's the one we use,,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting info on locking gas cap part no. Capps10

No 10491 isn't listed on the parts page. What I'm saying is that 10491 and 11491 are the same gas cap, the different number designates different packaging. I'd like to see 10491 listed along with 11491 because my local parts place has several 10491s in stock but would have to order 11491 with a 2 week delay. I'm lucky that my parts place is familiar with stant's part numbering schema and knew that the second number designates a particular packaging and was able to cross reference it with the one he had in stock. Just trying to save others from having to order a part and wait for it to arrive in plastic packaging, when there's one in a cardboard box sitting on the shelf at the shop.

I just drove 1000 miles with stant 10491 with no issues what so ever...

Peace,
    Brian
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:17 pm

what ever fits-just drill a small hole from inside into a area that wont be detreental to the cap or lock area. No Pressure in tank!!= cheers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:02 pm

OK,,,,Stant 11491 or 10491 it shall be.
    68G10
    68G10

Post by 68G10 Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Hey, Thanks alot! I was so bummed when they told me the lead time on the 11491. I recently installed a Holley TBI system on my van and I plumbed the return fuel line into the vent line into the tank. Shortly after I noticed fuel stains on the exterior of the van and found my gas cap outer gasket was cracked in 3 placed... I was about to leave for Christmas and didnt want to drive 1000 miles spewing gas out the filler... C&J in Wimberley, TX did me right, as usual.

Peace,
    Brian
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Do you now have an electric fuel pump? I think fuel injection likes a charcoal canister rather than a vented gas cap....
    68G10
    68G10

Post by 68G10 Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:25 pm

donivan65 wrote:Do you now have an electric fuel pump? I think fuel injection likes a charcoal canister rather than a vented gas cap....

Yes I do have an electric fuel pump... whats a charcoal canister??? It's a Holley Projection 2D, so its fairly low pressure...18 psi max on the send line and less on the return line. Im really curious about this canister business! This is my daily driver, so anything I can do to increase longevity or lower cost of ownership is a huge plus... So maybe putting a 350 roller motor with decked, ported heads and a 9.8:1 comp ratio wasnt the absolute best idea for fuel economy out of the gate, but I wanted to have a little fun at least...that being said, the powerglide is still my worst enemy on that front... 700r4 and 12 bolt w/3.08 coming soon...

Peace,
    Brian
    68G10
    68G10

Post by 68G10 Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Also, on a side note, my drive was very interesting. I spent one night in alamosa, co. It was -16 degrees that night and even at 9a.m. it was -4... Some of the original paint on my van (soon to be repainted) literally cracked and fell off in the night. I really gotta learn to post pics because you guys got to see this... Also cracked my original vinyl seats when I sat down... The fuel lines had frost on them and I had to lean the choke all the way out, but the van started right up...

Peace,
    Brian
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 pm

The World does not like carburetor and gas tank fumes getting out in the air,,,,so they put a non vented gas cap on the tank and vent the gas tank, and carb to a can filled with charcoal to store them then let the intake suck the fumes in and burn it,,,,,and no more gas smell either,,,,,Our vented gas cap does not let much pressure out ,,,,I would see if that return line is putting a lot of pressure back in the tank after driving it and then removing the cap,,,,,hopefully not shooting 10 gallons of gas out,,,on the new cars, if you remove the cap, you hear air being sucked in,,,,,
    68G10
    68G10

Post by 68G10 Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Interesting, so it sounds like this might actually improve fuel economy, even if only by a minimum amount... I can drive 300 miles and when I pull the cap, no pressure at all... Not sure what that means, but the system seems happy right now... well other than the injector which misses a pulse every once in a while... New injectors on the way...
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:23 am

I got an old generic locking cap and hacksawed off the outer tangs and then it fit fine. Then, of course because it was NOS the rubber cracked only on one side so I leave that on the bottom. Leaks a little when I fill her up so I avoid. Guess the crack negated any suction problems. As I have a stock fuel pump, probably about 3 psi., I suppose it would not be able to overcome too little venting.

The world doesn't like our old stuff in general even tho we are way past energy break even--a good thing. That's why the world, dummies like politicians, do buyback programs--junking good cars. And, of course, they get all those "donations" from the car companies for the new business.

Nonetheless, I'd love to have a charcoal cannister to recover vapor because it's probably one of the worst things I do pollution wise. Just haven't figured out how and where to rig. Should have done it when I R&Red the tank.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 am

they did kinda sorta start putting them in our 2nd Gen vans,,,,

Interesting info on locking gas cap part no. Workin10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 am