VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Steering Damper/ stabilizer

BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

stabilizer - Steering Damper/ stabilizer Empty Steering Damper/ stabilizer

Post by BADBADGER Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:30 am

The last post on this topic I was able to come up with on the vv site was back in 2009. So with that said has anyone installed a steering damper kit/ stablilizer on an A100/108? If so what kit did you use and where did you get. Currently looking at summit auto parts, moog amgssd13. Seems like it might work but need to talk with their tech tomorrow.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

stabilizer - Steering Damper/ stabilizer Empty steering satabilizer

Post by BADBADGER Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Last nove I posted a question regarding. a steering stabilizer for a dodge a100. Did not receive any replies. So either no one has installed a steering stabilizer on a dodge a100 or everyone is waiting to find out what I found out. My answer so far is , found out zip. Today I emailed moog suspension products and tomorrow
    I will call skyjacker . In the meantime if any one has further info. pls respond.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

stabilizer - Steering Damper/ stabilizer Empty Re: Steering Damper/ stabilizer

Post by Stoopid john Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:03 pm

I've thought about it but just don't know if it will make it harder to steer at slow speeds.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

stabilizer - Steering Damper/ stabilizer Empty Steering Stabilizer

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm

I had posted this for someone -maybe on e or g vans -heres what u need -napa parts - Will end all shimmy ever!! Will not make steering ant harder either. Ive used these for 30+ years - and an old auto parts guy put me onto thesr some 40 years back. Were designed for this shimmy problem on the old I=beam axles like under our vans- here a link 4 ya .

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3dsteering%2bstabilizer%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3dsteering%2bstabilizer%26Dk%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:25 pm

There is one on the axle I pulled off a JY van out back.
    My feeling is that if the kingpins, steering and shocks are in good shape and the alignment is correct, you shouldn't have any issues.
    Camber = close to 0, slight offset for road crown ( I often wonder if the UK transplants are adjusted opposite!)
    Caster = around 3-5 degrees 'back' at the top to help self-center. You can see this on a motorcycle that has a stock rake. The front wheel tends to settle straight ahead when upright and weight is applied. When you have a van with rake, it tends to tilt this angle to zero or worse, causing instability.
    Toe-in = 1/16 to 1/8 inch toe in. This provides almost zero as you go down the road, since the tie rod ends are forced tighter. Toe-out will work great for autocross, since it dives into corners, but make the steering twitchy in a straight line.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:24 am