VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
cl350rr
donivan65
Full Tilt Boogie
7 posters

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six

Full Tilt Boogie
    Full Tilt Boogie

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2011-06-14

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six Empty Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six

Post by Full Tilt Boogie Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:49 am

Anyone have photos and basic details on this swap? What is the best alternator for this swap?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six Empty Re: Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 am

If you don't want to spend much money or are not too proud, this 1 wire Chevy alternator will work,,,,,,

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six 29_dol11
    Full Tilt Boogie
    Full Tilt Boogie

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six Empty Re: Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six

Post by Full Tilt Boogie Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 am

donivan65 wrote:If you don't want to spend much money or are not too proud, this 1 wire Chevy alternator will work,,,,,,

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six 29_dol11

Not too worried about price. More concerned about the "right" one and the details on doing the conversion. Some say GM 1-wire, others say Ford 3G. If anyone has swap details on both, I'd appreciate it!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

It is just one way that people convert the generator or get rid of the low output alternator and the voltage regulator and all that wiring on their vans,,,,,,there are other systems,,,,,,It's just a Chevy guys answer to how to solve your problem......
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am

I have a 200 with an alternator on it, getting ready to part out. brackets should fit a 170 or 140. not sure if alt is good or not, never tested it.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 pm

My '65 170 had an alternator. Maybe just pull the parts off another Ford that's getting a v8 swap.
    Full Tilt Boogie
    Full Tilt Boogie

Post by Full Tilt Boogie Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 pm

cl350rr wrote:I have a 200 with an alternator on it, getting ready to part out. brackets should fit a 170 or 140. not sure if alt is good or not, never tested it.

Any pics of the alternator and bracket? How much? Thanks!
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 pm

well here's the pic:

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six Dsc09010

how's $25 for brackets and bolts, $35 with alternator + shipping?

I'll include some real Virginia dirt, grease and rust with it at absolutely no cost to you
    Full Tilt Boogie
    Full Tilt Boogie

Post by Full Tilt Boogie Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:28 pm

cl350rr wrote:well here's the pic:

Generator to Alternator Swap on Small Six Dsc09010

how's $25 for brackets and bolts, $35 with alternator + shipping?

I'll include some real Virginia dirt, grease and rust with it at absolutely no cost to you

Thanks for the pic! I'll pass, it looks like it'll be pretty simple make an alternator fit. I was wondering if anyone had current pics, details or info of their generator to alternator swap.
    Full Tilt Boogie
    Full Tilt Boogie

Post by Full Tilt Boogie Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 am

Surprised there isn't much info on this conversion... Is the majority still running a generator?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Unfortunatly, I have a GM altenator in my 66, but it's attached to a 350. Sorry I can't be of any real help. But I'm sure someone out there has a pic of what your looking for. Have you tried looking through the the members pic gallery? you might find something in there in sombodies build progress pics. just a thought = 2 cents.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 am

The 200's use a different front timing cover that has an additional boss on it for the alt. bracket. The Generator motors do not have this boss. Either change the front cover to match the factory bracket or make a new bracket to work off the generator boss'

Duane in Tennessee.
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Post by delraydoug Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:52 am

mine gen. looked alot like that oiled the bearing got it to roll over. wire wheeled it to clean it up blew it out with air hose and put it back on and it worked. gen. light only comes on once in awhile when idleing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am